Welding cable vs. OFC

I use nothing but Welding Cable from our local dealer throughout my entire vehicle ... with no problems what-so-ever ...

Would not use anything else !!!

Tight wad!!!

lol. I lost count at the feet of welding cable I've run. Yes, it measures a bit smaller. Yes, it isn't quite as flexible. Also pay attention to the cable you buy- just like anything out there, it isn't all created equal.

12 - 12"s in the STAY PUFT 1989 Chevy Astro

Build & Comment Log

Un-Interrupted Build Log
YouTube Channel

Chevy Trailblazer 5.1 Dolby Digital DTS Install

You have a beard of a mysterious sea captain. I would follow you to hell and back.

Or you can get the 4/0 welding wire for about the same or less then some audio wire. Im runing that for the easy long runs. I will use audio wire for the tight corners and into the amps just to look good.

https://weldingsupply.com/cgi-bin/einstein.pl?Next::1:UNDEF:OR:terms::PA#A2

4/0 welding cable is $4.50 per foot or $3.99 if you buy 25' or more plus shipping.

Now lets compare that to the prices of Sky High 2/0(This is really 4/0 wire) at $4.65 per foot and $225 per spool.

I will take the more flexible Sky High wire personally.

Use what you get cheapest....Skyhigh 1/0 is pretty close to good 2/0 welding cable.

Sky High 1/0 is bigger than 2/0 welding wire. I just re wired my entire truck with SHCA 2/0 and 1/0. I had welding wire before the switch.

Maybe I am just ass backwards here, I dont know, but why in the bloody hell would anyone spend 2-5k on good subs and amps and even batteries and then cheap out on wire? This is what delivers the power from your alternator to you batteries and then to your amplifier. Why do you want to just buy the cheapest stuff out there to do that? But maybe I am just confused.

Maybe I am just ass backwards here, I dont know, but why in the bloody hell would anyone spend 2-5k on good subs and amps and even batteries and then cheap out on wire? This is what delivers the power from your alternator to you batteries and then to your amplifier. Why do you want to just buy the cheapest stuff out there to do that? But maybe I am just confused.

What makes welding wire "cheap"?

Team Bass-Hz

screenshot5-1.jpg

I'm with you I upgraded from db link 4ga to shca old 1/0 when I installed my 05 t1000bd amp differently tell the difference and also did the big 3.

02 dodge ram 1500 reg cab 3rd gen

2 sundown sd-2 d4

soundstream rub1.2500 amp

all sky high car audio-fuse,fuse holder,wire,ring lugs and rca

flex tech

box design by Joe X

supension-mcgaughys 2in drop spindal ,western chassis 6in flip kit,buddy custom c-notch

04 5.7l hemi motor swap and made it an slt eletric everthing

youtube channel-http://www.youtube.c...43?feature=mhee

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/190882-02-dodge-ram-1500-3rd-gen/

What makes welding wire "cheap"?

Not speaking directly towards welding wire, more towards general electrical.

I ran welding wire and it was ok for the price I paid for it.

The 2/0 welding cable still is smaller than the Sky High 1/0 OFC wire.

Left to Right. SHCA 2/0, SHCA 1/0, Welding Cable 2/0

null_zpsda54228a.jpg

The guys who are running 2/0 welding cable are still running pure copper wire and it is pretty good size. Nothing wrong with that at all. Now the guys who are running 0ga or 1/0 welding cable and think it is the same as a quality Car Audio brand 1/0 OFC cable are foolishly mistaken. 1/0 Welding Cable is about equivalent to a nice over sized 4ga wire, maybe a 2awg wire. IF you are running maybe a 1000w system, this is perfectly fine. If you are running a 5000w system, not fine(unless you have a ton of runs) and in that case now you are probably spending more to buy double the runs of a smaller wire when you could have just purchased a quality over sized true awg wire to begin with.

Archived