voltage drop when load is applied with HO alternator

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If the slip occurs at the same time the drop happens, that's your issue. The belt slipping is your belt not able to supply the kinetic energy needed to support the electrical demand, hence the voltage drop.

If the spring in your belt tensioner is weak, that could be the cause.

2007 Pacifica
Rebuild. Less quiet. Still not loud.

If the slip occurs at the same time the drop happens, that's your issue. The belt slipping is your belt not able to supply the kinetic energy needed to support the electrical demand, hence the voltage drop.

If the spring in your belt tensioner is weak, that could be the cause.

Tensioner is brand new. I'll test it tomorrow again and pay closer attention to belt slipping noise. But, I haven't heard any unusual noise.

Maybe I'm overreacting to this issue. But I will still look into building a custom bracket to increase a belt wrap.

After replacing the pulley for a smaller one, I get 14.0V at 600 rpms and 14.3 as soon as I raise them up.

However, with a smaller pulley, I get a crazy belt slip even when I let go off the gas pedal on acceleration (not a crazy acceleration)

Already ordered another tensioner pulley to get a better belt wrap. So hopefully it will resolve the problem finally.

• 4 weeks later...

Another thing I noticed today is that while driving, the voltage stays at 14.3V, but if I'm parked and raise RPMs to 2k it stays at 14.0V.

I will replace the pulley with a smaller one, which should increase output at lower rpms.

that is because there are no excessive loads on the elaectrical system. i have an chevy s-10 that does the same thing, it has a 4 pin connector on the alt to the pcm. that is all normal. if the alt is ecu controled then there is no need for a smaller pulley.

03 s-10 owned since 35k now 150k

alpine type-s 6.5 comp

alpine type-e 10 ported fiberglass

jl 300/4 (dead)

jl500/1 (dead)

After replacing the pulley for a smaller one, I get 14.0V at 600 rpms and 14.3 as soon as I raise them up.

However, with a smaller pulley, I get a crazy belt slip even when I let go off the gas pedal on acceleration (not a crazy acceleration)

Already ordered another tensioner pulley to get a better belt wrap. So hopefully it will resolve the problem finally.

did you get a smaller/shorter belt???

03 s-10 owned since 35k now 150k

alpine type-s 6.5 comp

alpine type-e 10 ported fiberglass

jl 300/4 (dead)

jl500/1 (dead)

Just stick to one pulley and get a shorter belt. You got to many pulleys straining the motor.

truthsayer

it pcm control no matter what you do its going to stay at 14v thats the reason I'm going to put an external regulator that is adjustable form 13.5-15v I am going to set it at 14.5v when I get a ho alt

02 dodge ram 1500 reg cab 3rd gen

2 sundown sd-2 d4

soundstream rub1.2500 amp

all sky high car audio-fuse,fuse holder,wire,ring lugs and rca

flex tech

box design by Joe X

supension-mcgaughys 2in drop spindal ,western chassis 6in flip kit,buddy custom c-notch

04 5.7l hemi motor swap and made it an slt eletric everthing

youtube channel-http://www.youtube.c...43?feature=mhee

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/190882-02-dodge-ram-1500-3rd-gen/

Archived