bagged and bodied burban

I love me a big bagged suv. I'm looking forward to seeing this.

thanks, I got a chance to pic it up on a trade and always wanted one. it was from down south so the body has pretty much no rust, and it was a 2wd so I couldn't pass it up. around here everything is usually 4x4 and all rusted out from the winters and all the salt

Love the work so far man. Welcome to the forum and hope you stay. Would love to see a wall back there haha.

thanks, and no wall for now :) I've got a 12" cliff designs that i'm gonna be putting in for now. I know that's pretty tame compared to some of the crazy builds ive seen on here so far, but i'm sure it might get redone later. I have two of them but the suspension separated from the cone on one of them and I don't know how to repair that, or if it can be.

for the bags, I went big with some #3800 bags. they are 8.5" in diameter and just massive, but bigger the bag the softer the ride. I put these monsters on all four corners

IMAG0173.jpg

here is a shot of the new #3800 bag next to the 2600 old style denominator that used to be in the front

IMAG0175.jpg

the front spring pockets were already hacked up and I need to make room for the big bags so I cut them out and boxed in the frame. I extended the pocket forward so that it could act as a notch for the tie rods too. When I got it, it had djm lower drop arms, so I cut the spring pocket out of them and plated them so that I had a flat surface to mount the bag.

IMAG0172.jpg

IMAG0169.jpg

IMAG0156.jpg

got it to lay frame, so now it was body droppin time. I went with a traditional style drop because I figured it would be quicker for me, and it is a full size suburban so I still have good head room. I put some 4"x4" posts on jack stands, tight up against the frame, cut the floor out and let the body slide down and rest on the 4x4s so that it was level with the frame. then made some filler pieces to reconnect the body to the floor

IMAG0101.jpg

IMAG0104.jpg

tried with this pic to show that the body was now level with the frame. you can also see the 2 link installed in this pic

IMAG0105.jpg

IMAG0106.jpg

I just liked this pic, I stuck the camera infront of the passenger side rear tire and pointed it forward. shows the frame and the rocker layin on the ground

IMAG0221.jpg

cant ever resist trying to get a peek at how its gonna look so I laid it on the ground and found that I was in much need of some clearance for the driveshaft. I cut the floor and added in some pieces to raise it up and make a driveshaft tunnel.

IMAG0348.jpg

pic of the rear end in place, just wanted to make sure I still had good clearance after the body drop

IMAG0230.jpg

one from the side. the tires are actually the ones im using on the front (the rear tires have a little more side wall than these rubberbands) but they work for mock up

IMAG0233.jpg

almost tucking lug nuts :)

IMAG0234.jpg

started to put the rear floor back in, this is where I started to regret how much I cut out. also came across a new issue. since I raised the gas tank 4", and lowered the body 2", when the fuel filler tube was reconnected it was now going uphill. can't make gas flow uphill so to solve this I had to relocate it. if you look at the driver side taillight you can see the start of what I did to fix the problem

IMAG0354.jpg

here are some shots of the rear floor all welded in and most of the seam sealer applied. I made a removable panel above the fuel pump so if I ever need to service it I don't need to drop the tank.

CAM00014.jpg

CAM00015.jpg

CAM00016.jpg

carpet doesn't even come close to fitting anymore so I just painted the floor all black for now. will be good enough till I can start redoing the interior

CAM00033.jpg

Archived