Have a small amount of cash and need to get my electrical right. Was wondering if I could get some opinions from all you experienced guys out there. I have 2 amps each wired to 1 ohm at 3000rms (6000total). Running a stock alt at 140amps and have 2 flooded marine batteries(120ah) in back and starter battery up front. Obviously I am way underpowering these amps which in turn is causing heat throughout the system and a little coil smell. Question is where do I go from here? I have about $450 to spend currently and didn't know if I should start replacing the flooded batteries with agms, adding agms with the flooded, or getting an affordable alt. I hear so many different things and I could really use your guidance. This is my first post so be easy. We are all on here for the same reason... we love bass!!! :rofl2:

Definitely an alternator. For $450 you won't be getting anything near 320 or 370. You could get probably a 270 from Singer for that much.

FI BL18 Build Log: CLICK HERE!!

2003 Explorer Sport:

FI BL18

SoundQubed 2200 at 0.7ohm

Pioneer DEH-2500UI

Pioneer 6 x 8s

Rockford Fosgate 6 x 9s

5 ft^3 box at 35hz

Lots of Mega Mat

SkyHighCarAudio_zpse6b4e501.png3abb2365-8d29-422d-a446-efa7a74b8dba_zps70e62980.jpgFILogo_zps400b37c1.jpg

See, I posted something similar to this recently on my Facebook page and almost everybody said get a bank of batteries. I've been pulling my hair out over all of this!!! Wish I could buy it all but a mortgage and a 3 year old makes it tough

Lower the load until you can properly supply the current. I'd also double check if everything has been set correctly as coils could be a sign of other issues

Tell me...does this smell like chloroform to you?

Have a small amount of cash and need to get my electrical right. Was wondering if I could get some opinions from all you experienced guys out there. I have 2 amps each wired to 1 ohm at 3000rms (6000total). Running a stock alt at 140amps and have 2 flooded marine batteries(120ah) in back and starter battery up front. Obviously I am way underpowering these amps which in turn is causing heat throughout the system and a little coil smell. Question is where do I go from here? I have about $450 to spend currently and didn't know if I should start replacing the flooded batteries with agms, adding agms with the flooded, or getting an affordable alt. I hear so many different things and I could really use your guidance. This is my first post so be easy. We are all on here for the same reason... we love bass!!! :rofl2:

if i bought a 6k watt rms audio system first thing i would do is h/o alt and big 3, im surprised your car doesnt stall out when the bass hits with 6k watts on a stock alt. your going to end up clipping your amp and blowng your subs if you dont do a upgrade soon.

you need alt support. as teamHT said, reduce the power of you system until you can supply the appropriate power or you will break your gear.

CURRENT SYSTEM:

• Alternator:
    1. Stock alt on mids/highs
    2. Isolated DC Power 270 SP - Charging @ 16.8v
  • Batteries: (2) XS D1400s
  • Power Cable: Double Runs of 1/0 KNU Kolossus Fleks
  • Headunit: 80-PRS
  • Sub Amp: DC 5.0k
  • Subwoofers: 2 RE MT 15s /PSI dual .7ohm recones
  • Subwoofer Enclosure: 9.1cubes @ 32hz - brutal.
  • Mids & Highs Amp: CT125.4
  • Active Components:
    • Mids RE XXX 6.5c
    • Highs - 3 RE XXX tweeters per side(A pillar)
  • Noise Control: Damplifier Pro all over the cab.

Build Log

If you do business with me please leave feedback here: FEEDBACK THREAD

Highest Legal Score: 151.0 db
Highest Musical 30 Second Average: 151.6 db

• 2 weeks later...

Archived