Second Skin Audio

missconception about speaker wire length!

jouniorlord

so first of all I would like to apologize for the length of this post but please bear with me for this is not something that can be explained easily

the misconception:I've heard a lot of people say that if your speaker wire / sub wire are not match closely in length it can cause distortion and or cancellation of the sound waves...this is false to a point here's the truth

the first thing that needs to be known is at what speed does electricity travel the max speed of electricity is the speed of light or 186,000 miles per second. however since most electricity is traveling through wires it gets slow down by the resistance of said wires it can potentially be slow down to 60 percent the speed of light or 111, 000 miles per second.

now as an example I'm going to use a 50 Hertz shine wave for all the purposes of this formula. take that 111600 multiply it by 5280 and you get your electrical speed measured in feet per second (589, 240, 000)

now a 50 her tone means 50 cycles per second so each cycle is .02 of a second apart so for distortion to take place there must be a gap between the time each woofer reaches the peek and Valley of its cycle.so for the speakers to be out of phase completely there has to be a difference of .02

so if we know that our electrical current can flow through the wires at 589,248,000 feet per second that means that there would have to be 11784 more feet of wire on one side than the other. for the average person the length of extra wire going to one subwoofer or the other is just a foot or two so that makes no difference in sound quality or SPL!!!

one more quick example let's say I have 10 feet too much on one side that means my workers are only about 6 100 millions of a second out of fase... again sorry for the link I just wanted to once in for all the spell this myth so that way people are trying to cut every little centimeter of their wires thinking it's going to give a more dBreally all making both sets of wires perfectly even does is make you feel good at the end of the day so everything lines up it has no effect on performance whatsoever thank you for reading :-)

You post, while trying to be informative, has zero backbone simply because you lack proper punctuation. If you want to post something scientific, informative and educational, then you sir, should act like you have a basic education yourself. Begin sentences with capital letters, and try to use periods and commas so we know what the hell we are trying to read. Otherwise, it looks like some little kid with a 4th grade education just wrote the worst run-on sentence ever. Which, by the way, you just achieved! Congratulations

Did you get that scar tissue when you got your vagina installed?

KNOWLEDGE DESTROYS FEAR Measure twice, cut once

JVC touchscreen HU Mmats E600.4

Realm L56c Audiophile 6.5 comps up front JBL P963 rear deck PB RTA 112 trunk CE Auto Big 3 Mechman 240alt D'Amore VM-1

and I know I'm probably going to hear crap about my grammar and spelling but you know what all that was typing on a phone so I don't want to hear it

Correct me if I am wrong, but today's smartphones have keyboards. You know, the one's that include proper punctuations.

Realm L56c Audiophile 6.5 comps up front JBL P963 rear deck PB RTA 112 trunk CE Auto Big 3 Mechman 240alt D'Amore VM-1

Simply because it is very hard to read when you don't use punctuation. Where does one sentence end, and the next one start? That is a lot of info to recognize when I am also trying to figure out how to read it in the first place. Try this, when you get home and on a real computer, type out what you just said using proper punctuation, then read that alongside what you just posted. I guarantee you will understand very quickly how much easier it is to read, and understand. Cheers

I agree with the punctuation thing. I also didn't know that anyone thought that speaker wire length made a difference...

But I'd be curious how you define the "speed of electricity." I assume you are talking about how long it takes a change in current to propagate to the other side of the wire? Because the actual translation speed of an electron is much slower interestingly enough.

Team NorthWestSPL

Archived