Sundown Audio

I'm getting confused on matching my amp with a sub.

I'm looking at a SA-12 but not sure whether to go D2 or D4. have a dude by me selling a D4 for $150 and it's brand new so i'm trying to scoop it quick but if my amp won't power it right i'll wait it out and keep saving.

the amp i have is a MB Quart ONX 1000.1d that i got a for a sweet deal

specs:

475w @ 4ohms

750w @ 2ohms

1000w @ 1 ohm

someone help clear my confusion up?

Edited by speckdzl4shzl

No not the D2- you will be pushing a 1,000 watts. And that will be pushing that sub to the limit. Get the D4 and wire down to 2ohms, the 750 watts your amp pushed at 2ohms will be plenty for that sub. Your amp will also stay cooler and be more efficient at 2ohms.

• Like (+1 Rep) 1

truthsayer

No not the D2- you will be pushing a 1,000 watts. And that will be pushing that sub to the limit. Get the D4 and wire down to 2ohms, the 750 watts your amp pushed at 2ohms will be plenty for that sub. Your amp will also stay cooler and be more efficient at 2ohms.

sorry you are incorrect here. its better to have more power available then less. Just because you can get 1000 rms @1ohm, it does not mean you have to have it at full tilt everytime. There is alot you need to read and learn before you can tell people that they are wrong. Generally when I am not familiar with a subject "I try" to refrain from telling people what to do.

TEAM SUNDOWN HAWAIIHAWAIICARAUDIO.NET

150Db Club

160Db club in the future

I see krakin as a threat

sorry you are incorrect here. its better to have more power available then less. Just because you can get 1000 rms @1ohm, it does not mean you have to have it at full tilt everytime. There is alot you need to read and learn before you can tell people that they are wrong. Generally when I am not familiar with a subject "I try" to refrain from telling people what to do.
I'll have to disagree with you on this stealth...I don't think it's a good idea for someone who appears to be new to car audio to overpower a subwoofer. Yes the SA12 can handle 1000w and not be damaged, but if you don't know what you are doing, if your enclosure isn't designed properly, if he were to not want to void his warranty (I know he's looking at a used sub, this is more of a general statement) or doesn't have the proper tools to tune his system, then the advice you have him is pretty bad and can damage his equipment.

If I were you OP, I'd buy the SA 12 and play with it and then read and learn more before you get into overpowering your subs.

Edit- And that used d4 will wire down to 2ohms and match up pretty good with the 2ohm rating on your amp.

Edited by sprkn_ranger
  • Like (+1 Rep) 2

I'll have to disagree with you on this stealth...I don't think it's a good idea for someone who appears to be new to car audio to overpower a subwoofer. Yes the SA12 can handle 1000w and not be damaged, but if you don't know what you are doing, if your enclosure isn't designed properly, if he were to not want to void his warranty (I know he's looking at a used sub, this is more of a general statement) or doesn't have the proper tools to tune his system, then the advice you have him is pretty bad and can damage his equipment.

If I were you OP, I'd buy the SA 12 and play with it and then read and learn more before you get into overpowering your subs.

Edit- And that used d4 will wire down to 2ohms and match up pretty good with the 2ohm rating on your amp.

do you really think he is gonna get 750 at 2 ohms. when all is said and done he will be lucky to get 400 clean watts. Have you heard of a gain knob? Is there such a thing? a volume knob?

OP if you wanna get loud then get your moneys worth and wire it down to 1ohm. If you dont have the need to be loud and dont take this as a hobby, get the D4.

This guy is Crying about voiding warranty. A recone is 40 bucks.

150Db Club

160Db club in the future

I see krakin as a threat

do you really think he is gonna get 750 at 2 ohms. when all is said and done he will be lucky to get 400 clean watts. Have you heard of a gain knob? Is there such a thing? a volume knob?

OP if you wanna get loud then get your moneys worth and wire it down to 1ohm. If you dont have the need to be loud and dont take this as a hobby, get the D4.

You are giving bad advice...we don't know the op's experience. Of course he isn't going to actually see the "full rated watts" but if he doesn't have the tools to set the amp right, then your 400 watt "guess" of how much he will see is still enough to melt a coil.

If your bad advice makes him blow his equipment then I'm sure you won't be the first to offer him the money to recone the sub. Even though it's only $40 for the recone, maybe he doesn't want to have to deal with it, maybe he doesn't want to spend $40 every time your bad advice blows his sub.

You are giving bad advice...we don't know the op's experience. Of course he isn't going to actually see the "full rated watts" but if he doesn't have the tools to set the amp right, then your 400 watt "guess" of how much he will see is still enough to melt a coil.

If your bad advice makes him blow his equipment then I'm sure you won't be the first to offer him the money to recone the sub. Even though it's only $40 for the recone, maybe he doesn't want to have to deal with it, maybe he doesn't want to spend $40 every time your bad advice blows his sub.

Im speaking from first hand experience. You are just reciting something you've read. Sa subs are little beasts. he will be fine with that mq quart 1000 watt amp. IF HE GETS THE D2 AND ENDS UP BLOWING IT, PM ME AND I WILL PAYPAL YOU 40 BUCKS. OP YOU WANNA GET LOUD RIGHT?

• Like (+1 Rep) 1

150Db Club

160Db club in the future

I see krakin as a threat