Skar Audio SK-4500.1D Amplifier Dyno (Power) Test Results -- 8,600+ WATTS!!!

For those stating that the amps will protect at .2ohms nominal, they will not!

That is if its anything like a sundown saz-4500. My pair of 4500s where at 2011 iirc dbdrag finals wired at .18 burping 157s in a crx putting up 157+db. I dont remember the actual load after rise but they played, and played on a single nsb,90 battery at 8.7volts. Granted the minute you clipped the amps by going 1 click too far on the volume they did protect however, and this was a pure burrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrp setup. but they did play. LOL

Also want to add that they where always wired at .35 in my truck daily, and same thing with my buddies amps in his charger as well. impedance rise is still a biotch no matter what you wire at. lol

Edited by Audiofanaticz

Guys,

I veering off topic a bit here, but this might add some perspective.

I was going to wait for Tony D's education video to come up about impedance, but it might help to throw this out there for consideration.

There's soo much more to amplifier output then just what you're nominally wired at.

Here's an impedance sweep from a Hertz ES200 8" sub that I have:

ES200-ImpedancePlot_zpsc47d9fe4.jpg

Notice the raw driver has an impedance peak of about 30 ohms at ~31Hz.

In a ported box, notice there are two peaks of ~20 ohms at 22Hz and 53Hz.

So your resulting impedance really depends on the frequency of material you're playing.

Burping at one of those peaks would obviously cause no issues to the amp whatsoever.

Notice that the lowest impedance that the driver gets to is approximately its nominal impedance (4 ohms) and it only happens in a few frequency bands. "Re" is it's DC resistance (2.9ohms) if anybody is wondering.

So you can see why testing an amplifier at a resistive load (constant 4ohms) would be a MUCH harder test, which is what the AD-1 does.

Hope that helps. :good:

• Like (+1 Rep) 1

This post sent with 100% recycled electrons.
2004 BMW M3
Mechman 280A
2 - XS Power XP3000

1 - XS Power D375

500F of Maxwell SuperCaps (soon to be 1000F)
iPadMini2

Dash mounted O-scope
Audison bitOne (Remote DRC MP)
Highs Amp - PPI Art A404
Hertz HSK130 (HSK165 waiting...)
DC Audio DC9.0K
2- DC Audio XL12m2

LEGAL             - 147.3dB @ 41Hz
OUTLAW         - 150.2dB @ 45Hz

OUTLAW         - 145.7dB @ 30Hz
JUNE 2014 SOTM WINNER

2014 COLORADO PEOPLE'S CHOICE WINNER

SOTM BUILD:
http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/141656-wicks-e46-m3-build-bass-turbo-button-and-a-big-new-addition/page-68#entry2802026

sig-sized6_zps0265e669.png

Guys,

I veering off topic a bit here, but this might add some perspective.

I was going to wait for Tony D's education video to come up about impedance, but it might help to throw this out there for consideration.

There's soo much more to amplifier output then just what you're nominally wired at.

Here's an impedance sweep from a Hertz ES200 8" sub that I have:

ES200-ImpedancePlot_zpsc47d9fe4.jpg

Notice the raw driver has an impedance peak of about 30 ohms at ~31Hz.

In a ported box, notice there are two peaks of ~20 ohms at 22Hz and 53Hz.

So your resulting impedance really depends on the frequency of material you're playing.

Burping at one of those peaks would obviously cause no issues to the amp whatsoever.

Notice that the lowest impedance that the driver gets to is approximately its nominal impedance (4 ohms) and it only happens in a few frequency bands. "Re" is it's DC resistance (2.9ohms) if anybody is wondering.

So you can see why testing an amplifier at a resistive load (constant 4ohms) would be a MUCH harder test, which is what the AD-1 does.

Hope that helps. :good:

t_breakingbad_f_yeah_science.jpg

• Like (+1 Rep) 2

Biomedical/Behavioral Science Major, The (Self-Proclaimed) Undisputed-Homemade-Woofer-King

Super-Neodymium-Woofer Build Log: The D4BA-V.2 http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/169236-diy-super-neodymium-woofer-build-log/?p=2475620

Fucking love Alan you goddamned fucking super nerd lol

When Alan uses big words I don't understand

It's warming up enough that the donut-punching cyclist douchenozzles are getting their two wheeled fagmobiles out.

Everytime I see a guy driving a mini cooper I cant help but think he loves cock & (2/29/16)-My wife just bitched at me about throwing out things we don't really use. My response of well we don't really use your vagina so should we throw that out was evidently not the right response. I had to leave the room.

I missed Alan.

RIP 5/29/15 - I love you son.

• 3 weeks later...

maybe they fried it at .5 which is why they're not warranting it, they don't have to tell you it failed the certified test

They are a strong board no matter which name tag is on the heat sink.

But it did sound like the amp kicked protect almost instantly on the amp dyno if you listen closely during the first burst, the click is at 2:53 in the video.

Also the amp dyno stopped running the test after the click sound, the AD-1 will usually do a around 10 bursts, and watching the video it only does 2 bursts, the first burst is when the number was giving for said 8641 watts, then the second burst the AD-1 noticed there was no power being made and stopped testing.

• Like (+1 Rep) 1

• 5 years later...
On 10/18/2013 at 5:39 AM, Rmichael91 said:

Enough with the bashing, everyones been given a warning in the past. I mean lets grow up. The sk4500 bench was requested by me and a number of other potential customers. I even asked for a .5ohm run. Granted I'm even saying I think there needs to be a 3 step bank for the dyno runs, 12v 14v and 16v. I'm impressed with the numbers even with the spiked voltage. The only amp that worries me is the sk3500.

What is it that worried you about the sk3500.1???  I own two of the 1st gens and have them strapped but I clamped almost 3k rms clean on one of them at 2.3ohm 13.8v with a 38hz test tone and my subs were wired to 2ohm and I now have them both strapped at 1ohm each for a 2ohm final on a set of sundown x15d2's and I'm over 50 daily on music...