Sundown Audio

Punch P400.2 @ 2ohm mono?

DollarBill1

Rated Power: 100W x 2 @ 4-Ohms RMS; 200W x 2 @ 2-Ohms RMS; 400W x 1 @ 4-Ohms bridged RMS

My sub is dual 4 ohm so that's only 200w. My question was has anybody ran this amp 2 ohm bridged.

2009 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab

Current Set up -

Headunit - JVC 6100BT

Mids/Highs - Sundown SA-6.5 CS x2

- 4 Crescendo pwx6.5's

- 2 Crescendo ft1's

Mids/Highs amps - 2 Sundown SAX100.4 V2

Sub amp - NS-1 V2

Alts - 2 Singer 320a 6 Phase

2 XS D4800 under the hood

2 XS D3100's in back

2 Sundown Team 18's walled

Well there is no way to wire a single D4 ohm sub to achieve a final ohm load of 1 ohm, so there's no worry there. Your only option with that sub, is to run each coil on each channel @ a 4 ohm load on each channel. That amp puts out the same power anyway on so it doesn't really matter.

Correct me if I am wrong, but if he wired the coils in parallel

1_4ohm_dvc_2ohm.gif

and bridged the two channels to the sub, would each channel not "see" 1 ohm?

I could definitely be wrong here, but I thought that's how it worked when bridging two channels together, kind of like strapping 2 amps.

Let me know because I don't want to be giving bad advice.

******* re-reads Justin's post *********

OOOOOHHHHHHHHH you are saying that the sub is a SVC not a DVC. I thought that's what the D4 implied, dual 4 ohm coils. The pics on sundown's site imply dual coils for the SD-2 series but I have no first hand experience with these subs. My bad.

******* does some browsing on the interwebs *********

In related news, according to the Sundown site the SD-2 8" is only available as a D2

I don't know of a way to make the channel see 1 ohm. You're only sending a single 4 ohm coil to it. The other way would be to run both coils on 1 channel and drop the load to 2 ohms. If you bridge the amp, like the OP wants, positive from one channel and negative of the other channel, that's a 2 ohm mono load, which the amp is not rated for.

On a side note, I'll be coming down to Tucson likely this weekend for the IFO show. Aaron and Justin(Smoove) will be going too I think. I think the Vegas boys might be coming down too ;)

Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.

OP, I too do not want to give bad advice but I would think if each channel is stable with a 2 ohm load, then bridged should be stable at 2 ohms as well. Do NOT take that for fact, just a guess. It will take a brighter mind than mine to give you a definite answer.

Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.

A 2ohm mono load is equal to a 1ohm stereo load. This is way most 2ch amps are only stable at 4ohm mono because it equates to 2ohm stereo. It is for this reason, that 4ohm mono power will almost always equal the sum of the 2ch at 2ohm.. RF amps tend to run hot, and although the older ones tend to take more abuse, the newer ones will generally thermal at 2ohm mono...bridge it at 8ohm, it will be the same power as a single CH at 2ohm, albeit with greater efficiency

Team Flex Issues

Low tuning > God

2011 CALI AS1 STATE CHAMP

My sub is dual 4 ohm.

Rated Power: 100W x 2 @ 4-Ohms RMS; 200W x 2 @ 2-Ohms RMS; 400W x 1 @ 4-Ohms bridged

Wouldn't running it 8 ohm bridged be the same power as 4 ohm stereo which is 200W and is half the rated power that it would run at 4 ohm bridged?

2009 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab

Current Set up -

Headunit - JVC 6100BT

Mids/Highs - Sundown SA-6.5 CS x2

- 4 Crescendo pwx6.5's

- 2 Crescendo ft1's

Mids/Highs amps - 2 Sundown SAX100.4 V2

Sub amp - NS-1 V2

Alts - 2 Singer 320a 6 Phase

2 XS D4800 under the hood

2 XS D3100's in back

2 Sundown Team 18's walled