Sonic Electronix

I own a set of Polk Audio db1222's which peak at 1500w and i recently bought a Pioneer GM-D8601 amp which peaks at 1600w, so i guess my question is; by overpowering my subs by 100w and i going to kill them? Or can i set the gain down to get less power and be good

the amp is rated at 800 X 1 at 1ohm, the subs are rated 720 per pair. They are 2ohm subs, so you can wire to 1ohm and after rise and voltage drop you should be ok. An extra 30 watts per sub shouldnt hurt anything and its not likely you will see full rms on music anyway.

^^ I second that

Also for future reference you wanna look at the RMS (continuous) power instead of peak. peak is what the amp/subs can handle for around a second. RMS is what the amp can put out or subs can handle continuously. that's the best way to match subs and amps.

2007 Ford Focus SES Hatchback

Pioneer HU

4 Digital Designs 9515i's in a B pillar.

2 Soundstream XXX 15K's (running at 16 volts)

Soundstream Mids/Highs in custom door panels (getting rebuilt soon)

Soundstream TA2.160 and TA2.400

Sky High and KNU wiring

3 Banks of Maxwell caps 

Winston Lithium (not a fan)

Bump4Life 250 Amp Alt. aka USAlternators

Soundstream Focus and Avenger Build Log

Instagram @p4linnovation

YouTube: Team Blowin Loud 

I like the sniff test. If you smell it burning turn it down lol

the amp is rated at 800 X 1 at 1ohm, the subs are rated 720 per pair. They are 2ohm subs, so you can wire to 1ohm and after rise and voltage drop you should be ok. An extra 30 watts per sub shouldnt hurt anything and its not likely you will see full rms on music anyway.

alright, thanks man.

1 correction the subs in totall are 2 Ohms so the subs are 4 Ohm a piece, so the amp is playing @ 2Ohms 500 Watts.

Sub;

Electrical Total Frequency Response 27-200 Hz Nominal Impedance 2 ohms Efficiency 103 dB

Amp;

umber of Channels Mono Maximum Power Output 1,500 W Continuous Power Output (1 Ω, ≤ 1% THD+N) 800 W x 1 Continuous Power Output (2 Ω, ≤ 1% THD+N) 500 W x 1 Continuous Power Output (4 Ω, ≤ 1% THD+N) 300 W x 1

03fa3adf-c724-4466-a4b4-aadc8863cdd6_zps

1 correction the subs in totall are 2 Ohms so the subs are 4 Ohm a piece, so the amp is playing @ 2Ohms 500 Watts.

Sub;

Electrical Total Frequency Response 27-200 Hz Nominal Impedance 2 ohms Efficiency 103 dB

Amp;

umber of Channels Mono Maximum Power Output 1,500 W Continuous Power Output (1 Ω, ≤ 1% THD+N) 800 W x 1 Continuous Power Output (2 Ω, ≤ 1% THD+N) 500 W x 1 Continuous Power Output (4 Ω, ≤ 1% THD+N) 300 W x 1

you might be right, bu sonic's specs states that its 2ohms per voice coil.

edit:

the owners manual only shows the "1212" model for the single sub version and it's 2ohm. Would stand to reason that the dual 12 model would be two 2ohm subs.

Archived