DC Sound Lab

New DC Build question on amount of power a level 3 can take.

Hey Peeps,

Just a quick question on a pair of LVL3 12"'s.

Do you think a Crescendo BC2000D would be ok to match up with a pair of lvl3's?

Crescendo claims 2250 RMS watts x1 @1 ohm.

I did car audio some 18 years ago then got married and stopped. Here we are 18 years later divorced and ready to do another build. Things have changed a bit but I think with a little guidance this should be a good build. $4k budget and i'm looking at getting obviously 2 DC lvl3 12's, Crescendo mono amp(BC2000D) and 4 channel (C1100.4). I'll be running Crescendo mids and highs as well and a Pioneer (AVH-X5500BHS) HU. I'll also be using a Audio control Line Driver for voltage boost.

Any advice ???

No need for the Line driver and our 2.0k will be perfectly fine for a pair of Level 3s. I have dynoed them doing over 2300w certified.

Why no line driver??? (its the Audio Control Matrix Plus) But if i could save money then thats good. My thought was for extra voltage and perhaps a cleaner sound???? Please correct me if im wrong its been years since i've done car audio.

Dont get me wrong I love the 2.0k but the cost of that Crescendo is $480 where the DC is $615 (ouch). I dont have experience with either and have read good review on both. The last setup I ran 18 years ago were 2 Zeus 12" on a US Acoustics amp (i forget the model but it was a 2 channel a/b amp)... Now I'm putting a lot of my money into the Dampening and wires, alt & batteries leaving me with little for audio itself. $4k is my budget for EVERYTHING and I need to throw an alarm in there somewhere too. I'll be doing the build my self aside from the Alarm that i have no experience with. But back to the Subject! I for sure will run the DC lvl3's but unless I can find that 2.0k at the low low, or a really good reason not to go Crescendo then will my thoughts change. I'm wanting to try to compete at a low level to boot but also as a daily listener back and forth from work. I write a lot of electronic music (dubstep, hip-hop (beats/instrumental), drum&bass and trip-hop (beats). after I do my build I'll experiment with some bass tracks as well tee-hee... Again all and any help info thoughts or opinions are welcome.

All that a line driver is going to do is boost your rca input voltage. If you are using a stock headunit that has an absurdly low voltage output voltage, then it has its place. Another thing to look at is the quality of the line driver. Alot of the line drivers you are going to buy are not going to cleanly boost your signal voltage. If you have 2v-4v of pre out voltage, then I would not worry about the line driver. This is what your gain is for.

Sending you a PM now.

• Like (+1 Rep) 1

All that a line driver is going to do is boost your rca input voltage. If you are using a stock headunit that has an absurdly low voltage output voltage, then it has its place. Another thing to look at is the quality of the line driver. Alot of the line drivers you are going to buy are not going to cleanly boost your signal voltage. If you have 2v-4v of pre out voltage, then I would not worry about the line driver. This is what your gain is for.

Sending you a PM now.

Very Good! I thank you for your reply. Again its been a long time for me so i'm refresh the mind to everything. Well thats a big info boost considering you've saved me at minimum $150 not including the extra cables and such.... Thank you again.

Only need one good reason not to get the Crescendo amp? DC is the best! There you go... plus you can have a matching set then.

08' Grand Cherokee

(2) DC Lvl 4 12's

Memphis Mojo 2500

Kinetik Batteries

Mechman 320A with VCM

SMD - VM1

Why dont you use DC amps? Memphis better? And this is a serious question im not trying to be funny. I'm just doing research and want the best bang for my buck.

• Like (+1 Rep) 1

Only need one good reason not to get the Crescendo amp? DC is the best! There you go... plus you can have a matching set then.

08' Grand Cherokee

(2) DC Lvl 4 12's

Memphis Mojo 2500

Kinetik Batteries

Mechman 320A with VCM

SMD - VM1

Why dont you use DC amps? Memphis better? And this is a serious question im not trying to be funny. I'm just doing research and want the best bang for my buck.

Not trying to be funny, but it kinda was.

• Like (+1 Rep) 1

First welcome back to the hobby. Hands down DC makes a quality product. There are a bunch of Korean made amps available today that use basically the same configuration, similar board design and general look. DC is above the rest in that the internal components are of higher quality and produce more clean power consistently. The cost difference is in the parts. As with everything else you get what you pay for. I run a DC Amp because I want the money I spend to purchase a quality product that is going to do what I expect it to do, do it well, and keep n doing it.

As a side note, look into the DC Level 4. For just a little more money you'll have a sub that you can upgrade a bit further in the future with upgraded soft parts. Just a thought....Level 3 a perfectly nice sub also.

• Like (+1 Rep) 1

CURRENT SYSTEM:

• Alternator:
    1. Stock alt on mids/highs
    2. Isolated DC Power 270 SP - Charging @ 16.8v
  • Batteries: (2) XS D1400s
  • Power Cable: Double Runs of 1/0 KNU Kolossus Fleks
  • Headunit: 80-PRS
  • Sub Amp: DC 5.0k
  • Subwoofers: 2 RE MT 15s /PSI dual .7ohm recones
  • Subwoofer Enclosure: 9.1cubes @ 32hz - brutal.
  • Mids & Highs Amp: CT125.4
  • Active Components:
    • Mids RE XXX 6.5c
    • Highs - 3 RE XXX tweeters per side(A pillar)
  • Noise Control: Damplifier Pro all over the cab.

Build Log

If you do business with me please leave feedback here: FEEDBACK THREAD

Highest Legal Score: 151.0 db
Highest Musical 30 Second Average: 151.6 db

08' Grand Cherokee

(2) DC Lvl 4 12's

Memphis Mojo 2500

Kinetik Batteries

Mechman 320A with VCM

SMD - VM1

LOL your right, it is funny, not gona lie. If I had the money to blow to get a DC amp instead I would love to, hence my comment about how they are the best, I wasn't lying. I used to run all memphis stuff in the past so its just what I had to do my build. ( Memphis subs blow, had to get rid of them, would never buy again) This amp cost me $1000 and works just fine so I wasn't about to just replace it and spend more. Although... I would have no problem accepting a donation of a free DC amp to match my subs since you guys were so concerned :)........3.5k please haha

• Like (+1 Rep) 1

08' Grand Cherokee

(2) DC Lvl 4 12's