Second Skin Audio

8" subwoofers serving 70-300 hz range

Mick Miller

I have a pair of RF P2D4-8's that I would like to use for midbass on a P500.2 amp.

The suggested box sealed is 0.23 ft3 with an F3 of 64hz. The suggested ported box has a much lower F3 at 33Hz and is .65ft3 with 2" diameter by 8" long port.

When going for midbass 70-300Hz range which would be better, sealed or ported? and if so, are there any changes that need to be made for the better setup?

Cheers,

Welcome to SMD

Those are sub woofers / drivers ... Not mid bass drivers ...

Find you some mid bass drivers for this application ...

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

Good quality 6.5" or 8" (if you can fit them) midbass drivers in very well deadened doors are the drivers that should be dedicated to midbass duty. The frequency response on the subs you listed falls off at 250 Hz, so they won't be efficient at all as mid bass drivers.

And no, you're going about it right with respect to asking questions before building. :-)

Facebook: facebook.com/audioanarchyllc

Instagram: audioanarchyllc

Youtube: youtube.com/bbeljefe

aaresizehorizontal_zps47821bb2.jpg

I would caution when peoples 1st comment in a thread is it will never work without giving a complete explanation. it's frustrating to see comments without reasons backing up the response.

RF P2's can absolutely work to fill the gap between the subs and midrange. You might have to mess with your crossover points to get a nice blend in the range. Your most difficult challenges will be fitment and rattles. Once you get them to fit, you will spend a good amount of time working out window and panel rattles. Both of which can be addressed with a little work . I have run the subs both sealed and IB. I prefer the sealed option better. Little tighter in the lower end punch for my taste.

034-5.jpg

Designing, building, and shipping boxes. Yahoo IM - kingsuv00If the listening level is too loud, please inform the driver, so he can promptly pull over, and let you out.

not many cars can get me to pluggin my ears but this one.......damn. I mean the first minute is ok but that thing just really starts digging deeper and deeper in your earhole till you cant stand it no more. Seems like it does it with relative ease....16 12's on 8 amps.........gotta love it. :)

I would caution when peoples 1st comment in a thread is it will never work without giving a complete explanation. it's frustrating to see comments without reasons backing up the response.

RF P2's can absolutely work to fill the gap between the subs and midrange. You might have to mess with your crossover points to get a nice blend in the range. Your most difficult challenges will be fitment and rattles. Once you get them to fit, you will spend a good amount of time working out window and panel rattles. Both of which can be addressed with a little work . I have run the subs both sealed and IB. I prefer the sealed option better. Little tighter in the lower end punch for my taste.

034-5.jpg

Love that door.

I am going to be running RF P2D4 8's as a midbass in a sealed box. So I say do it if you can get it crossed over properly as kingsuv stated. The punch 500.2 is a great match for a pair of P2 8's. As stated, really are subwoofers and not midbass, i have a pair in a box right now tuned to 35 and they get down. You have to make them work for your application.

For the sub bass end I have a DD audio S2B and pre-ordered the stereo integrity BM mkIV for the subwoofers.

It wouldn't be a problem for me to sell the RF 8's and pick up some proper midbass because my build is aiming for SQ and aesthetics. It looks like I'm getting solid advice here, I can stick with the RF 8s because I have plenty of room behind them in the door with no moving parts in the way to build a sealed box (would this remove rattles?). OR I can sell/trade them somewhere and replace with a proper 3 way system or build my own 3-way system to bring the directional mid-bass up front.

I should have done some more research on the subs, my local RF dealer said they'd be a perfect drop in replacement for the stock speaker for mid-bass, they were demo subs and I got a great deal on them. ^Smoove, those subs in the door look VERY good though.

So basically, can the RF P2 8's work really well as SQ up to the mid range driver frequencies, or should I be looking out for something else due to the complicated mess of EQ it would require?

Let start by asking a simple question, are you looking for SQ as in "sounds good to you or competition"? Are you going to run an active processor? And how much power are you planning on running to the 8's?

With the right tuning and either of the following options is gonna work. One may be harder to tune than the other depending on location and enclosure size.

P2 8 250rms

Frequency response: 43-250 Hz

PPS8-8 125rms

Frequency response: 80Hz-5kHz

I'll have a P500.2 running the mid bass (P2 8's).

I'm going for SQ for me, not competition. If they'll get the job done that's all I really needed to know.

As far as making them sound the best, I've got a low pass filter on the P500.2 that can be set as high as 500Hz. Should I fiberglass an enclosure for them or keep them freeair and turn the power down?

Archived