Issue with DD-1

I went to use the DD-1 on a friends car with really bad results. No matter what I did, checking the HU for clipping, and the amp, always had distortion on. No matter the gain setting, nor the volume. The vehicle is a Acura TL with stock stereo and navi, with a LOC going to a Addictive Audio 100.1D. I first tried to use the DD-1 to get a clipping limit on the HU, which the instant the probe hit the pos terminal, it got distortion. I even tried to "set" the gains, without setting them, just to see if the light would come on the same as it did before. Sure enough, on the 0DB test tone the instant the prob touched I got distortion. It was weird though, when I used the -5 tone, the distortion light came on again, but not as strong. And then with the -10, the light didn't even come on at all. And the light came on how I said it did per tone, no matter the gain setting or the volume on the HU. The signal and 40hz detect would come on how it normally does, but the distortion was always constant. Anyone got any info here? Feel kind of shitty because I reset this guys gains and ended up not coming through with my tool. I set his amp the old way with a DMM, backing off the rating it said it was supposed to be at to be safe and he said it was much quiter than what it used to be. Would like to get his amp set right and have a happy friend lol

On 11/20/2012 at 8:54 PM, AMI CUSTOMS said:

Turned mine up today at a light, guy next to me his steering wheel started moving and he looked over at me like I was a magician lol.

On 5/9/2012 at 8:45 PM, skittlesRgood said:

fuck the plating. look at what the main metal used is. you could buy unicorn blood plated terminals but if its just covering up dog shit, whats the point

On 4/10/2013 at 12:26 PM, mrd6 said:

I'll admit, half way through sanding that fiberglass in the rain and cold while I was all itchy I was definitely starting to question why i was doing this haha

• Soon To Be
  • '04 Ford Escape
  • US Alternator 280A Hairpin
  • D4800 Under the Hood
  • (6) XP3000's in Rear
  • 1/0 SHCA & XS Power 4 runs to back
  • TORK2 kit from Tony @ CE Auto Supply
  • Pioneer DEH-80PRS
  • DD AW6.5 (2) per door
  • *Tweeter Unkown*
  • DD SS4a & C3d
  • (2) SCV4000 @ .5Ohm
  • (2) 15" Sundown Zv5

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Try putting in a new battery.

The one I have is resting at 8.4v, time for a new one?

Turned mine up today at a light, guy next to me his steering wheel started moving and he looked over at me like I was a magician lol.

fuck the plating. look at what the main metal used is. you could buy unicorn blood plated terminals but if its just covering up dog shit, whats the point

I'll admit, half way through sanding that fiberglass in the rain and cold while I was all itchy I was definitely starting to question why i was doing this haha

• Soon To Be
  • '04 Ford Escape
  • D4800 Under the Hood
  • (6) XP3000's in Rear
  • Pioneer DEH-80PRS
  • DD AW6.5 (2) per door
  • *Tweeter Unkown*
  • DD SS4a & C3d
  • (2) SCV4000 @ .5Ohm
  • (2) 15" Sundown Zv5

Check amp settings as well as make sure Xovers are set to THROUGH.

They where only variable, I had the SSF set to as low as can go, and the HP to as high as it could go. He actually had the variable bass boost on, I am guessing that's why it sounded louder. I turned it off lol. He did mention he thinks the LOC is off of the 6x9 on the rear deck, but there is no crossovers built into the speakers, or in the HU, that wouldn't effect anything right with the signal?

• Soon To Be
  • '04 Ford Escape
  • D4800 Under the Hood
  • (6) XP3000's in Rear
  • Pioneer DEH-80PRS
  • DD AW6.5 (2) per door
  • *Tweeter Unkown*
  • DD SS4a & C3d
  • (2) SCV4000 @ .5Ohm
  • (2) 15" Sundown Zv5

The battery in your DD-1 is ~10 low. That's not good. Get a hot battery in it and try again. Make sure his bass and treble are flat and that there is no loudness feature turned on at the head unit.

And what you described with the different tracks is correct function. The DD-1 detects distortion on the zero dB track before the -5 dB and on the -5 before the -10, etc. Basically, you have the option of setting the amp at zero distortion or, with the down dB tracks, up to 10% distortion (iirc). And he obviou trade off to introducing distortion is SPL.

And if you get the same results with a hot battery in the DD-1, recommend that he buy a good quality LOC.

Facebook: facebook.com/audioanarchyllc

Instagram: audioanarchyllc

Youtube: youtube.com/bbeljefe

aaresizehorizontal_zps47821bb2.jpg

Every LOC I ever tested has been bad or should we say shown distortion and extremely dirty except the prototype HLC-1, so testing it on an amplifier that gets its signal from a LOC is going to show you distortion even before it even picks up a signal.

Test the dd-1 on a headunit or amp without a LOC on a system you previously tuned and know it was tuned good, or for that matter, plug a RCA cord into to the DD-1 from any output source just to make sure its not the DD-1.

If your sure the DD-1 is the issue after bench testing it on another item you will need to contact Tony to get it repaired.

[email protected]

PS: How is a 9volt battery that reads 8.4 volts low?? that is well within the operating voltages for a 9volt battery. lol

Edited by Audiofanaticz

/\/\/\new battery.

VM-1

Pioneer DEH-80PRS

Hertz HSK 165XL

Arc Audio KS 300.2

Linear Power 1002 Full Mods

Fi Audio Q 10s

Sundown Audio Scv 3000

Big 3

XS Power D5100 Juice Box 20AH

Singer Alternator

Sky High Wire

<p>My Ebay feedback. http://feedback.ebay...tab=AllFeedback

I can try a new battery, I really have no idea what a good voltage for one is so it's past me. That is really unfortunate what you said about the LOC's. I am sure my DD-1 is not broken, it previously tuned my amps. What I will do is hook up a spare amp and test the DD-1 on it. Just in case that my DD-1 is bad, I don't screw up my gains on my daily amp.

• Soon To Be
  • '04 Ford Escape
  • D4800 Under the Hood
  • (6) XP3000's in Rear
  • Pioneer DEH-80PRS
  • DD AW6.5 (2) per door
  • *Tweeter Unkown*
  • DD SS4a & C3d
  • (2) SCV4000 @ .5Ohm