DC Sound Lab

DC Lvl 4 M2 12's rattling/bottoming out

If it is just happening randomly on certain songs, then chances are there is a random low low note in those song that is way below your tuning.

Also what do you mean "gain maxed out" If you tuned correctly with a DD-1, there should be no maxed out gain. There is only 1 way to properly set the gain and it isnt going to be maxed out unless you have .2v of pre out voltage going into the amp.

If it is just happening randomly on certain songs, then chances are there is a random low low note in those song that is way below your tuning.

Also what do you mean "gain maxed out" If you tuned correctly with a DD-1, there should be no maxed out gain. There is only 1 way to properly set the gain and it isnt going to be maxed out unless you have .2v of pre out voltage going into the amp.

When I said the gain was maxed out, that was purely for testing purposes at a previous date just to see the maximum output of the amplifier. The current tuning was done correctly with a DD-1 and there is no distortion. And oddly enough, this amp actually doesn't distort AT ALL even with the gain turned all the way up, all the way up to 60/62 volume on my pioneer head unit, according to the DD-1. Memphis mojo amplifiers put out very clean power if set up correctly. ( This means proper power being supplied to them, they are power hungry and need constant high voltage to operate at their full potential in the way that I have described. So to conclude this post, the gain is NOT currently maxed out, even though it COULD BE and still wouldn't distort at the volume I was playing at the time of rattling noise. I don't know what track I used with the DD-1, sorry about that. A friend of mine more experienced in audio that has one brought his over to tune my system. and Finally I think we have all came to a conclusion that the cause of this noise/rattle/bottoming out is just random low notes that are lower than my tuning. Thank you everybody for your comments and help, it is greatly appreciated.

08' Grand Cherokee

(2) DC Lvl 4 12's

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The phrase "very clean" should be, its "undistorted." And there is no different between an amp being more "undistorted" as another. Its either is distorted or not. Im no expert with gains by any means but the few times I've asked for DD1 help It was made very clear that The gain on the amplifier is designed to only match the voltage coming from the RCA outputs of your head unit. saying your amp is undistorted on max gain is irrelevant. that only has to do with the output voltage of the head unit. If it is in fact undistorted VIA DD1 at max gain and your HU is at its highest clean volume, something could be wrong with your head unit not putting out the voltage it should be. I know this is not about how you set your gains but maybe double check your EQ's were all flat and you amp frequencies crossovers were open all the way during the DD1 Process. Also, if an amplifier is given an optimal electrical system to support it's full power potential, it doesn't mean your gain can be turned up higher, it simply means the amp will produce more power ( in theory ) Sorry for the rant but my .02 cents. Again I am not by any means saying I'm completely right so by any means people correct me!

Edited by Mikey Bates