Sonic Electronix

Auto-levelling DSP amp (OEM amplifier)

Hey all,

Just finished installing some subs for a friend. He bought two Rockford P2D2's and a Prime R1200 amp to run the subs at a final impedance of 2 ohms at about 800w RMS. The car we installed it in is a 2011 mitsubishi lancer with the OEM premium 710w rockford fosgate sound system with a factory 10" long throw dvc sub running 150w rms (according to factory specs). Among the aftermarket equipment he purchased was a high power NVX line out converter which we installed parallel with the factory sub. The LOC is supposedly rated at 300w peak.

I have a handheld oscilloscope which i used to analyze the signal coming from the factory system. On his headunit, he has a standard bass control, and another bass control called "Sub Punch" which can be set from 1-6. This control gives the factory sub more of a "punch" i suppose. Anyways, I hooked up my o-scope to the wires going to the factory sub and then played a 40hz 0 DB tone over bluetooth. Upon cranking the volume, the signal started to clip off. Without touching the controls, I see the signal start to decrease by itself to the point at where its not clipped. We cranked the volume to the max volume of 45, and the same result was seen. A clipped signal followed by an automatic decrease to a clean signal. We even put the bass and Sub punch to max to see the same thing. Only difference is that when the volume was at max, I saw an extremely clipped signal. Once again though, it recovered itself to a clean signal.

The oem amplifier has some DSP built in or something. I have never seen an amp do something quite like this before. Most of the aftermarket are dumb and don't care if the signal is clipped or not :P

Archived