Sundown Audio

Genesis Four Channel or Steg K4.02 for L3SE

Bari87

Hello dear Music-Lovers and HiFi-Enthusiasts,

my name is Bari, i am 26yr old and came from Greece, but live in Germany.

I have a Mercedes SLK 230 first series, in which i have my audio-system installed.

My current setup is:

Pioneer P88-RSII Headunit

DLS Scandinavia 6/2 Midrange in the door

Micro Precision 7.28 MKIII M2M Tweeter

Exact WCA 263 Sub

Steg K4.02 for Mid- and Highrange

Steg K2.03 for Sub

Optima YT 3,7 and 2,7

Singer Alternators >160A Alternator (which i love)

Stinger, Audison cables

Some pictures if it helps: http://tinyurl.com/ob5yxh6

At next saison (car is sleeping on winter) i will update to a 3-way active system with the P99 Headunit and the L3SE Midrange next to the tweeters (i hope they will fit their in A-pillar!). Now the question is which amplifier should i use for the Hybrids!

I have a Genesis Four Channel (think its a good SQ-Amp) with typical about 4x90W, so i will connect the Tweeters on this Amp. Should i connect the Hybrids too on the Genesis? Or is she too weak to drive the L3SE?! The range probably would be 300-5000Hz/12db, and yes i like it loud (its a convertible) :-)

The other option is to connect the Hybrids to the Steg K2.04 with about 120W per channel, but then Midranges and Tweeters would be on different (type) amplifiers. I am afraid that the Genesis wouldnt have enough power to drive the L3SE without distortion, cause in my search i always found suggestions about 120-150W. Sure it is always better to have power reserves (similar to alternator or cars engine) and if you suggest to get another 2-channel (probably Steg K2.02 will fit in the little room left in the trunk) for the L3SE with >120W i will not install the Genesis (its a little sad cause i bought her but never installed.

Whats your suggestion or experience with the drivers?! I have also read that sometimes the membrane does dissolve from the rubber, is this still actual?!

Thank you so much for your help and best regards from Munich :eek5wavey:

Bari

P.S.: Excuse me for my bad english please!

P.P.S: Unfortunately the L6SE doenst fit on my doors thats why i going with DLS

P.P.S: Thats no vs.-Thread cause i already own both amplifiers - i just want some suggestions which amp you would use for the low-mids/mids/tweeters :-)

Mercedes-Benz SLK 230

Pioneer P99 | Helix DSP Pro | DLS Scandinavia 6/2 | Audison Thesis MT 3.0 | Micro Precision Z-28MKII | Hertz Mille 2500.3 | Steg K4.02 | Steg K2.03 | 2x Steg K2.02 | Optima YT 3,7 & 2,7 | Helix DPC | Brax IPC | Stinger HPM | Audison Sonus | Big 5 | 0 & 2 Gauge |

.. no one a suggestion or opinion?! :-D

Mercedes-Benz SLK 230

Pioneer P99 | Helix DSP Pro | DLS Scandinavia 6/2 | Audison Thesis MT 3.0 | Micro Precision Z-28MKII | Hertz Mille 2500.3 | Steg K4.02 | Steg K2.03 | 2x Steg K2.02 | Optima YT 3,7 & 2,7 | Helix DPC | Brax IPC | Stinger HPM | Audison Sonus | Big 5 | 0 & 2 Gauge |

• 2 weeks later...

O_O

Mercedes-Benz SLK 230

I don't know how many people have used those amps to help you. I know I have never heard of them and have no idea about them.

2012 Chevy sonic1xSQ HDC3 12 D2RF R1200d

140 square foot of Q-Mat(soon to be installed)

140.2Db sealed on the dash with TL

142 DB sealed on the dash with another meter (was dead on with the TL at a show i was at)

141 on music.

strangeduck,on 02 Jan 2014 - 01:39 AM, said:

when my car spins out i just put the car in neutral, turn in the direction i want to go and pucker my asshole

Thanks for the note - have not thought about it!
In Europe they are very popular, i think Genesis should also be in USA, but no matter.

Mabye someone does know the L3SE-Unit and can tell how many power they need to play good and loud without distortion.
The Genesis Amp has about 90Watt, the Steg about 120Watt. The question would be if the 90Watt from the Genesis would be enough or not?!

Thanks again and have a nice weekend

Mercedes-Benz SLK 230

I think it should be just make sure you are not clipping or distorting the power going to those speakers.

2012 Chevy sonic1xSQ HDC3 12 D2RF R1200d

140 square foot of Q-Mat(soon to be installed)

140.2Db sealed on the dash with TL

142 DB sealed on the dash with another meter (was dead on with the TL at a show i was at)

141 on music.

strangeduck,on 02 Jan 2014 - 01:39 AM, said:

when my car spins out i just put the car in neutral, turn in the direction i want to go and pucker my asshole

Archived