Second Skin Audio

Help with fi ssd 15 box design

Mr DeeBeez

I just bought a fi ssd 15 d2vc with the flat wind coil. I have never built my own box before so I don't know what dimensions to make it. I want it to hit low but still be able to reach the higher bass. My max dimensions are 3'x3'x1.5'. If anyone could help me out by finding out the dimensions and port area that would be awesome!!! I want it tuned around 30-32 hz

Thank you in advance!

Fi Team 18's (4)
Crossfire 16k
Crossfire 400.4 & 800.4
Pioneer AVH-X491bhs
140ah cmax
CES 320's (2)

FI says that driver should go into a 3.0-4.0 cubic foot box tuned to 33 Hz. I'm sure you could tune it to 32 just fine as well if you wanted.

If you build a 3.5 cube box tuned to 32 hz the port area should be around 64 square inches, so you could 4" x 16.5" giving you a box 18" tall. It would then need to be 42.7 inches long. If you want I can design you up something in Sketchup to fit your space, but I won't be able to do it for a couple days. I assume you will want it to have the driver and port on same side?

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

I just bought a fi ssd 15 d2vc with the flat wind coil. I have never built my own box before so I don't know what dimensions to make it. I want it to hit low but still be able to reach the higher bass. My max dimensions are 3'x3'x1.5'. If anyone could help me out by finding out the dimensions and port area that would be awesome!!! I want it tuned around 30-32 hz

Thank you in advance!

Be specific about vehicle, amp and max dimensions of the box

Triticum, that would be awesome. And I'm not gonna be doing this build for a week or so. Waiting on my 0 gauge for the big 3 upgrade. And I have a 99 Grand Prix gt and the sub will be powered by a Rockford fosgate p1000-1bd. About 1200 watts rms at 1 ohm. My max dimensions are 36"x36"x18". And yes, driver and port on same side. If you could design a box for me that would be amazing! First time building my own box so I don't know all the little things that make a big difference.

Fi Team 18's (4)
Crossfire 16k
Crossfire 400.4 & 800.4
Pioneer AVH-X491bhs
140ah cmax
CES 320's (2)

I had some time to take a look at this and here is what I came up with. I don't know what you have in terms of woodworking tools/skill so I did two versions. A simple one and more complex version, which is how I would build it.

The simple version:

simple_zpsb40aaac8.png

The complex version:

advanced_zps2b65035f.png

Also here is a cutsheet for the simple version, it almost fits in one sheet of MDF, almost :-(

cutlist_zps1ecc5f44.png

If you are interested I can send you (or anyone else for that matter) the sketchup file with both versions.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."

Builds:

I forgot to say in the previous post, the box is 3.5 net cubic feet and is tuned to 32 Hz. The sides/baffles/internal panels are all 16.5" wide.

Builds:

WOW! Thank you so much. i could never have asked for better help. if you could send me the files that would be amazing. and im just making sure, but did you use 3/4" mdf for the design?

and i just want to say that i am rather new to this forum, and i can already tell that it is filled with the best resources. i couldn't have asked for better help. thank you so much!!!

cant wait to get to bumpin'!!!

Fi Team 18's (4)
Crossfire 16k
Crossfire 400.4 & 800.4
Pioneer AVH-X491bhs
140ah cmax
CES 320's (2)

Nothing helpful to add, but this thread deserves an award. Op gave a ton of information, replies were very nice and helpful, and op was very happy with the outcome. A+ :) smd at its finest! then the meme thread

On 1/4/2013 at 9:31 PM, HatersGonnaHate said:

Wow. 184 posts and I think you're a fucking asshole.

Archived