Second Skin Audio

How to Sound Deaden Doors

This isn't really sound deadening doors as more of a howto apply CLD.

I happy you show people they still have to clean the doors before applying anything even if it's the best product out there.

Using CLD around the speaker openings isn't ideal, a closed cell foam would work a lot better.(or butyl rope)

Another Pro tip: if you want to use the CLD to help with flexing you have to make a small bump in the middle along the whole piece. (or more bumps)

Like this: ____-^-____

I like to do 1 of these bumps per 2-3 inches.

what does the bump do to help?? This is interesting
  • Like (+1 Rep) 1

Awesome Vid

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

thats like 100% coverage though. isn't it a little much?

Depends on the goal and the system. For a really clean front stage in a setup with a lot of power, you need the doors to be completely dead. For a small upgrade with a small sub... 25% works. Not great, mind you... but it works.

Facebook: facebook.com/audioanarchyllc

Instagram: audioanarchyllc

Youtube: youtube.com/bbeljefe

aaresizehorizontal_zps47821bb2.jpg

Nice video ed.... Let's me know I've done so,etchings wrong... Or incorrect.. My question is what happens to your door and the deading if you ever have to service the window motor or something like that.. Would you cut it out.. Or is there a tip to get around that

he wouldnt be the first to say they did a 167 with a system like that (one that clearly DOESNT), but i have to say, he didnt beat me anywhere, ive never competed against the guy. If he thinks his does a 167, mine would probably put him in a coma. :hairtrick:

Nice video ed.... Let's me know I've done so,etchings wrong... Or incorrect.. My question is what happens to your door and the deading if you ever have to service the window motor or something like that.. Would you cut it out.. Or is there a tip to get around that

good ?

I happy you show people they still have to clean the doors before applying anything even if it's the best product out there.

Using CLD around the speaker openings isn't ideal, a closed cell foam would work a lot better.(or butyl rope)

Another Pro tip: if you want to use the CLD to help with flexing you have to make a small bump in the middle along the whole piece. (or more bumps)

It reinforces the sound deaddener, just like a T-beam is stronger then a regular flat piece of metal.

Thinking is the root of all problems...

You ALWAYS get what you pay for.

It reinforces the sound deaddener, just like a T-beam is stronger then a regular flat piece of metal.
very interesting thx

Depends on the goal and the system. For a really clean front stage in a setup with a lot of power, you need the doors to be completely dead. For a small upgrade with a small sub... 25% works. Not great, mind you... but it works.

well why not do 24-50% coverage and then use better materials for what you're trying to achieve. like putting MLV and CCF layers in-between the door skin and inner (closer to the inside of the car) door panel. you save a ton of $$ on materials and get the same results. rather then trying to use CLD as a way to add mass to the panel and lower it's resonances, which is a really expensive material to do so with.

I think you have a bit of truck stuck in your mud bro

~Ford Ranger, ext cab
Kenwood DDX470
1/0ga stinger wiring for big 3
1/0ga ofc flextech wiring

3 kinetik 800's

AQ2200 @1ohm

Sundown Audio X15

in a 27Hz tuned ported box

LE BUILD LOG!!!

Outer door skin is only about 60-70% coverage.

Sure 20-25% is effective, and may be adequate. But when planning to do high power, every little bit helps. In fact, I skimped out for the power levels I plan on running. I also plan to chase SPL numbers just a little.

The inner door skin requires more coverage because the deadener is being used to cover the openings.

• Like (+1 Rep) 1

Ed Lester

ShowtimeSPL Host

Showtime Electronics Video Marketing

My old Build Log
http://www.stevemead...08/#entry511451

http://www.youtube.com/showtimespl

TeamDeadlyHertz-HHREd.png

5 time dB Drag Finalist
Last ride 2007 HHR, current dB 153.5 and bass race 149.4 dB. 153.0 dB on music

New Ride, 2008 HHR SS. Build under way.
Loudest score ever = 171dB
2009 dB Drag Racing, North American Points Champion

Ed, did Second Skin change damp pro again, or is this the old stuff before they changed it to black?

I like the black. Last time I ordered it for the shop it was still black.

I used the old stuff I've had sitting for a few years.

Ed Lester

ShowtimeSPL Host

Showtime Electronics Video Marketing

My old Build Log
http://www.stevemead...08/#entry511451

http://www.youtube.com/showtimespl

TeamDeadlyHertz-HHREd.png

5 time dB Drag Finalist
Last ride 2007 HHR, current dB 153.5 and bass race 149.4 dB. 153.0 dB on music

New Ride, 2008 HHR SS. Build under way.
Loudest score ever = 171dB
2009 dB Drag Racing, North American Points Champion