Second Skin Audio

How to Sound Deaden Doors

5 sheets on each door gave me 1 layer on each surface.

did you deaden the outside too??

anyway nice videos...they give a lot of eplanation on how to do things

Outside the vehicle? No, why would I do that?

Watch the vid, I did the outer door skin and the inner door skin.

Ed Lester

ShowtimeSPL Host

Showtime Electronics Video Marketing

My old Build Log
http://www.stevemead...08/#entry511451

http://www.youtube.com/showtimespl

TeamDeadlyHertz-HHREd.png

5 time dB Drag Finalist
Last ride 2007 HHR, current dB 153.5 and bass race 149.4 dB. 153.0 dB on music

New Ride, 2008 HHR SS. Build under way.
Loudest score ever = 171dB
2009 dB Drag Racing, North American Points Champion

Nice video ed.... Let's me know I've done so,etchings wrong... Or incorrect.. My question is what happens to your door and the deading if you ever have to service the window motor or something like that.. Would you cut it out.. Or is there a tip to get around that

Cut an opening and seal it back up when you are done, even if you have to use another piece.

Ed Lester

ShowtimeSPL Host

Showtime Electronics Video Marketing

My old Build Log
http://www.stevemead...08/#entry511451

http://www.youtube.com/showtimespl

TeamDeadlyHertz-HHREd.png

5 time dB Drag Finalist
Last ride 2007 HHR, current dB 153.5 and bass race 149.4 dB. 153.0 dB on music

New Ride, 2008 HHR SS. Build under way.
Loudest score ever = 171dB
2009 dB Drag Racing, North American Points Champion

thats like 100% coverage though. isn't it a little much?

Depends on the goal and the system. For a really clean front stage in a setup with a lot of power, you need the doors to be completely dead. For a small upgrade with a small sub... 25% works. Not great, mind you... but it works.

well why not do 24-50% coverage and then use better materials for what you're trying to achieve. like putting MLV and CCF layers in-between the door skin and inner (closer to the inside of the car) door panel. you save a ton of $$ on materials and get the same results. rather then trying to use CLD as a way to add mass to the panel and lower it's resonances, which is a really expensive material to do so with.

what did he try to achieve must of missed it because if it was to deaden the resonance of the door he used the material for what he was trying to achieve... the other 2 are for airborne noise

thats like 100% coverage though. isn't it a little much?

Depends on the goal and the system. For a really clean front stage in a setup with a lot of power, you need the doors to be completely dead. For a small upgrade with a small sub... 25% works. Not great, mind you... but it works.

well why not do 24-50% coverage and then use better materials for what you're trying to achieve. like putting MLV and CCF layers in-between the door skin and inner (closer to the inside of the car) door panel. you save a ton of $$ on materials and get the same results. rather then trying to use CLD as a way to add mass to the panel and lower it's resonances, which is a really expensive material to do so with.

what did he try to achieve must of missed it because if it was to deaden the resonance of the door he used the material for what he was trying to achieve... the other 2 are for airborne noise

This gets back to the amplitude/decay versus resonant frequency question. Not only shouldn't we use vibration damper as a barrier, we shouldn't try to use it to add mass to drop the panel's resonant frequency below the audible range. This has been argued for years as justification for using roofing materials. The problem is that you really can't add enough mass to accomplish that frequency shift. You need to quadruple mass for every octave dropped. You'd end up with door panels that weighed hundreds of pounds.

From what i understand, CLD is for stopping flexing and turning it into heat so the panel doesn't produce it's resonance frequency. not necessarily to lower it's resonance frequency. and the other two are for air born noise, but also to turn the door into an infinite baffle for the speaker. (just like he did using CLD tiles.) but i can see how you'd want a bit more coverage for very high powered applications. i guess i have a bit of a different view on deadening :P

I think you have a bit of truck stuck in your mud bro

~Ford Ranger, ext cab
Kenwood DDX470
1/0ga stinger wiring for big 3
1/0ga ofc flextech wiring

3 kinetik 800's

AQ2200 @1ohm

Sundown Audio X15

in a 27Hz tuned ported box

LE BUILD LOG!!!

So for your average system between 3-5 k wrms, you only need to have ~50% coverage on doors?

http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/how-to/doors

I think you have a bit of truck stuck in your mud bro

~Ford Ranger, ext cab
Kenwood DDX470
1/0ga stinger wiring for big 3
1/0ga ofc flextech wiring

3 kinetik 800's

AQ2200 @1ohm

Sundown Audio X15

in a 27Hz tuned ported box

LE BUILD LOG!!!