Krakin's Gaming PC: New MSI 980 Ti

Doesnt SATA III max out at 580ish MB/sec?

Samsung's RAPID technology uses either up to 25% or 1GB of system RAM (whichever is lower) to cache for the SSD, similar to how you can use an SSD to cache for an HDD on newer Intel chipsets. For short tests like these the numbers are greatly inflated due to the massive speed difference between SATA storage and the system DRAM cache. The first 1GB of any drive speed test on a Samsung SSD running RAPID is effectively a DRAM speed test. The upside is greatly increased read and write speeds for files under a certain size that are cached by the software. The downside is that if power is lost any data that was cached in DRAM but wasn't committed to the drive is lost and you risk data corruption. This is likely why it is toggled off by default.

The 840 EVO also has a small amount of NAND (flash memory) running in SLC mode which it uses as a "TurboWrite buffer". When writing data to the drive it writes to the SLC "buffer" section first and then once the write operation completes it moves that data from the SLC buffer to the normal, slower TLC NAND . The SLC NAND is much faster and if a write operation doesn't fill the SLC section then you basically get the speed of SLC NAND when writing to the drive. The downside here is that if the write operation is larger than the size of the SLC buffer then you will fill the buffer and start writing directly to the slower TLC NAND which will result in a speed drop until the write is complete and the contents of the buffer can be moved. This isn't as big of an issue given that TLC NAND is the type of NAND used in the original 840 and is still very fast. The SLC buffer is also fairly large and is rarely filled in a single write operation unless you're working with very large files.

All of this info courtesy of AnandTech: http://www.anandtech.com/show/7173/samsung-ssd-840-evo-review-120gb-250gb-500gb-750gb-1tb-models-tested

2l90e43.png

The 840 EVO is a fast drive not due to a faster controller or faster flash memory but due to a few intelligent data management tricks. Are they legitimate? For most end-user cases, absolutely. The speed increase is clear in tests and is a tangible benefit for users who mostly deal with files that work within the file size limitations or use it as an OS and programs drive. If a user plans to put a lot of data on it, will hit their drive with a ton of writes, large files, and NEEDS data security, then that user is better served by the 840 Pro or possibly other manufacturers' offerings.

wtf is lolcats?

I'd def get a fat hooker if i had to resort to that kinda thing. I feel like they'd be grateful and work harder. Also its more bang for my buck, more real estate for my dollar if you catch my drift. its like the Costco of streetwalkers.

I was hoping for 150 :(.

I was hoping she would let me put it in her butt

That is very interesting.

I don't know much about software and the supper high end electronics when it comes to this, but do you think that the limit could be reached within gaming use. Such as battlefield or any other large (file size) games?

b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png

Krakin's Home Dipole Project

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370

Krakin, are you some sort of mad scientist?

I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . .

What you hear is not the air pressure variation in itself

but what has drawn your attention

in the two streams of superimposed air pressure variations at your eardrums

An acoustic event has dimensions of Time, Tone, Loudness and Space

Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears,

thus no formula can achieve a definite effect for every listener.

That is very interesting.

I don't know much about software and the supper high end electronics when it comes to this, but do you think that the limit could be reached within gaming use. Such as battlefield or any other large (file size) games?

I doubt it. All of Samsung's "tricks" focus mostly on writing data to the drive. The only time games write data to the drive are during installation and at save points. All of the rest is just reading game files (levels, textures, character animations) off of the drive at load screens and during gameplay. Stuff like the game launcher might get cached to the DRAM if it's commonly used but I doubt that you'll see any tangible speed increase in games. The only likely way that you'll reach the cache and write buffer limits while gaming are if you're recording your gameplay to the drive with FRAPS or another utility. Even if you fill the cache, however, the drive's "slow" TLC flash memory is still many times faster than a hard drive and plenty fast enough to handle writing the video to the disk all on it's own if you max out the buffer. The original Samsung 840 (non-Pro) was a TLC-based drive as well and even without the "tricks" that the EVO uses to increase write speed it's still one of the fastest drives on the market.

wtf is lolcats?

I'd def get a fat hooker if i had to resort to that kinda thing. I feel like they'd be grateful and work harder. Also its more bang for my buck, more real estate for my dollar if you catch my drift. its like the Costco of streetwalkers.

I was hoping for 150 :(.

I was hoping she would let me put it in her butt

That sounds all good, I would really consider recording, but I have Borderlands 2, BF4, Far Cry 3, and DayZ on it.

I would love to have at least the 250 GB just because I tend to hit the limit quite often on mine.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370

I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . .

Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears,

how do you put in rapid mode? i literally just put mine in. didnt know we could tune it

Buyer/Seller Feedback Thread: http://www.stevemead...5015-bump4life/
MB C220 153 Trunk Car Build Log: http://www.stevemead...d/#entry1840136
MB C280 Ipad Dash SQ Build Log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/194484-bump4lifes-new-benz-tony-c-relay-kit-pictures-ce-electric-audison-front-stage-installed/
My SPL Log: http://www.stevemead...__fromsearch__1

BMW M340 xDrive

Stock, for now. Corner Load 10" maybe soon. But does 10s in the 1/4...
Best Scores out of a trunk
153.0 sealed legal full tilt clamped 5524 @ 42 hz
154+ windows down, 155+ kick

The Samsung Magician app that should install with the drive.

There is the OS optimization that lets you put it in maximum "performance", "capacity", or "reliability", these mainly mess with virtual memory, hibernation, and some small things.

On the left a couple of tabs under the OS stuff you have "rapid". This is where you turn it on.

how do you put in rapid mode? i literally just put mine in. didnt know we could tune it

You have to download samsungs magician, once installed the tabs are on the program to enable and disable features..

As maxim is stating tho, its not much of a boost like you would assume. I run a 840Pro series and this software was just enabled to work with it a couple months ago, sadly on benchmarks like crystal disk I noticed minimal differences, but the samsung software says otherwise...

Either way still great SSD drives with or without the software.

Krakin:

How are you liking that headphone amp? :D

It's Schiit.

As for a real response, it has amazing clearity, dynamics, overhead for my 300 ohm cans, I will try to find some way of testing for certain things for the setup.

The best thing I have done with it is put my sound card in 8 channel mode with Dolby Headphone activated and tweaked.

I went through the Chesky Ultimate Demonstration album and noticed so many things that I never noticed from my T3's in sealed enclosures (ran from computer with a Mossvalve 80x2 amp, but had an insane amount of noise from ground loop problems).

This weekend I'll have time/care to do an extensive quality test and I'll post a review in here or the review forum.

One huge difference I noticed, was that I will now notice the human interaction with instruments, such as when you press down on the valves of the horns, the thumping I guess of strings on frets, and the resonance of drum kits.

Reminds me tremendously of listening to our schools band in our more than expensive auditorium.... $75 million....

Archived