05Malibu Final Build - DC - PRV - SHCA - XS - SINGER

Long update, bare with me... A lot has happened in the last 2 or so weeks...

The Malibu took a hit about 2 weeks ago... Nothing major but was backed into in the parking lot at work.. Decent amount of damage just bc of the place it was hit. Bumper, fender, hood, grill, grill trim, and headlight.. $2000+ in damage. Here's some pics

1D06C3A7-DFEA-4201-8904-607FED6A73DD.jpg

It broke the headlight mounts (my headlight was hanging over my bumper when I first saw it) and my blinker inside the headlight housing is also broken.

2A0F13A8-CF57-4051-80CA-ED8D26AA48CC.jpg

Decided I'm going to fix myself... Put some of my body work experience to good use lol.

So I ordered new headlights, grill, and trim piece. Gonna try to salvage the bumper, and I'll body work the hood and fender rather than replacing with aftermarket (which suck btw)

New spyder projector headlights (with Cree LED low beam bulbs) and grill came in today

672FA37D-F8D2-4837-A666-2D63DF8B96FA.jpg

• Replies 838
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Which brings me to the next update/issue...

I blew a coil..... :(

Don't necessarily know when or how... I'm guessing at the comp I went to in August, before I tore the box out this last time... Noticed it wasn't nearly as loud when I put it back in, so I checked coils... Got one reading 10+ohms.... :( :( :(

Still don't know if I'm gonna recone or just try and sell as is.

I got something up my sleeve for future subs. But in the meantime, I got a steal of a deal on a couple ampere audio 2.5s.

A642C43F-FB7D-4B43-B9B7-6E4F5A38B663.jpg

Sorry to hear about the accident buddy. Those headlights dont look stock... are we changing it up. Builds coming along nicely, bummer on the coil burn though. Works looking great, keep it up.

Sorry to hear about the accident buddy. Those headlights dont look stock... are we changing it up. Builds coming along nicely, bummer on the coil burn though. Works looking great, keep it up.

Thanks buddy. It was definitely a bummer and a blow to the overall build. (Both the coil and the accident.)

But on the bright side, I got a nice insurance claim, and I believe I can make it look "ok" with no real major body work. Won't be perfect but for a 10 year old car, but it's whatever at this point. At least it'll sound good on the inside... "It's what's inside that counts" LOL :)

i can did it :P:good: ... did you feel and increase of output by sealling off?

Yes and no... I was sealed off before, just not as well, I think it definitely helped vs hurt.

Overall tho, I think the best way to do a "trunk wall" like I am is to have the box all the way to the back of the trunk and then the sealed off part is built into the cabin. (If that makes any sense)

I haven't gotten much play time on it since getting it back in. But will definitely keep updating on the results as I play it

Another interesting twist, turns out I don't have a coil gone... I used bigger washers on my bolt terminals coming from the box, and I think the pos/neg were just close enough to arc... That's my only conclusion anyway... Wiring was correct and when I checked coils after pulling from box, they all checked out...

So with that said, I still have those ampere audio 2.5s so I think a little comparison is in order :)

Getting some more work done this weekend. Updating as I go

Started on the grille. Had to cut and modify the OEM grille and finagle the billet grille in, lot more tricky and time consuming than I thought it would be when I bought it... Owell, looks fairly good IMO. Not a 100% perfect fit, but nothing aftermarket is lol.

CC43C9B8-2288-4563-98BE-546120AE08FB.jpg

Archived