03 RF Lancer amp swap. Punch replaces Power series.

2 hours ago, Karkov said:

I wish I had your time and enthusiasm!

Thank you. I haven't done anything to the Lancer but tune it & tune it & tune it some more. I have T.A. on and system sounds pretty good in driver position T.A. It's just a bitch to tune, It really needs a DSP to help tune it IMO.     

Buying up a shit ton of equipment, materials & tools for Malibu build.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 960
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nothing to exciting but makes the car sound a bit better.

spacer.png

A COVERKING dash pad at $44 plus shipping came out to be $58. Good fitment and quality. Now to tune the system a bit better. After i put the SQ amps in i just wanted to pound on the system to see what it can take. Now i have T.A. on and need to spend some time tuning. Every Saturday if find a empty parking lot and to crank it up now its time to make it sound better.

31 minutes ago, Gunnem said:

probably feels like driving a new car with that new view nice work love the car old school mitssy, first page is fucked with photobucket so I dont know what it is but I like the older dash lights replaced with LED colors.  

I bet it sounds badass and balanced im suprised you dont get the more bass itch and freakout with 5000 watts

Thank you.  I am 48 and wanted to build a loud system and now i am trying to build a SQ car with the Malibu. 2250 watts i am good with. With subs wiring forward it gets damn loud to me.

16 hours ago, bcbrassard said:

Nothing to exciting but makes the car sound a bit better.

spacer.png

A COVERKING dash pad at $44 plus shipping came out to be $58. Good fitment and quality. Now to tune the system a bit better. After i put the SQ amps in i just wanted to pound on the system to see what it can take. Now i have T.A. on and need to spend some time tuning. Every Saturday if find a empty parking lot and to crank it up now its time to make it sound better.

Very Nice addition Sir.

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

4 hours ago, White Lightning said:

Very Nice addition Sir.

Thank you, a wise guy let me in on a secret for better sound. Getting ready to attach it to the dash shortly.

spacer.png

Cut & attached adhesive Velcro backing w/ roller. 

spacer.png

Cleaned dash several times to make sure adhesive will stick the first time.

spacer.png

Fits & looks great, really happy with this purchase. I had to install it tonight, it kept sliding off the dash and driving me nuts. After installing i cleaned the car up a bit.

spacer.png

I went to vacuum out the trunk but it was spotless. Had to take a pic, i never get tire of seeing this knowing it was my concept & hard work that made this. I think the Malibu will have a plexi glass window to view the Lithium battery and all connection.

spacer.png

I have enjoyed building this and learning from it. I dialed in the system today and its sounding better all the time.

• 1 month later...

spacer.png

I had a chance to put the 3/4" spacers on the amps.

spacer.png

Removed front seat to get to the amps. Dirty after 4 years. Solid amps that i am putting in the Malibu build.

spacer.png

2 RF P500-4 amps. Front twt, rear T1 6.5 mid, Stereo bridged to run the T2 6.5" in the doors.

spacer.png

All put back together. now i need to tune it all over.

Both amp's tuned with track 4 on SMD DD-1 disk (SQ)

I did a little tuning today. Had to turn the highs channel gains way down. Making a hissing sound. Reducing gains made it disappear. 

T2 6.5" mids where crossed over about 70 hz, sounded better at 125hz. P500-4 stereo bridged spec i 250 x 2 @ 4 ohm. Amp is seeing a 2 ohm load but i doubt its seeing more than 250 watts. The P38" in the kick panels are playing 60-150hz. 10's are playing 35-80 hz.

The mids and high's are a bit louder, Punch @ 110 watts rms. Power was 75 watts rms.

but other than that no real noticeable difference in sound imo. The VM is reading into the low 13's with these to amps vs the Power series staying in the high 13's - low 14's. 

Really happy with the swap and now all 3 Power amps can be cleaned up and used in the Malibu build. I already see an issue.... 

That is a good idea and i know i would like more black in the car. At this time though i am done with anything major to the car as it is my work car. I am putting a lot of effort into the Malibu this winter. 

I will repaint this car in a couple years for sale purposes to get as much out of it as i can.  

Archived