Setting up big computer build + home theatre

Are you running like 3 780 Ti's? Cause you really shouldnt need 1200 watts otherwise. The way things are going, they're using less power. Gold certified PSU's are also way more efficent at putting out power. So a 720 watt gold certified PSU will put out more, and cleaner power than a 1000 watt bronze. Just something to keep in mind.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are you running like 3 780 Ti's? Cause you really shouldnt need 1200 watts otherwise. The way things are going, they're using less power. Gold certified PSU's are also way more efficent at putting out power. So a 720 watt gold certified PSU will put out more, and cleaner power than a 1000 watt bronze. Just something to keep in mind.

reason why I am getting such a big psu is because in the end I will have 3 r9 290's,and pretty much overclock everything so I need the head room. Thanks for the info about the types. I was going to try and get a gold or higher regardless.
On 11/20/2012 at 8:54 PM, AMI CUSTOMS said:

Turned mine up today at a light, guy next to me his steering wheel started moving and he looked over at me like I was a magician lol.

On 5/9/2012 at 8:45 PM, skittlesRgood said:

fuck the plating. look at what the main metal used is. you could buy unicorn blood plated terminals but if its just covering up dog shit, whats the point

On 4/10/2013 at 12:26 PM, mrd6 said:

I'll admit, half way through sanding that fiberglass in the rain and cold while I was all itchy I was definitely starting to question why i was doing this haha

• Soon To Be
  • '04 Ford Escape
  • US Alternator 280A Hairpin
  • D4800 Under the Hood
  • (6) XP3000's in Rear
  • 1/0 SHCA & XS Power 4 runs to back
  • TORK2 kit from Tony @ CE Auto Supply
  • Pioneer DEH-80PRS
  • DD AW6.5 (2) per door
  • *Tweeter Unkown*
  • DD SS4a & C3d
  • (2) SCV4000 @ .5Ohm
  • (2) 15" Sundown Zv5

• 3 weeks later...

Well I didn't update this a week ago. I bought and recieved my 32GB of RAM last week. As well as that, today I purchased the vast majority of what's left for this build. The last thing to be purchased will be the graphics cards which I am going to try and wait till later, hopefully they drop some. I just purchased the 3 200mm Fans, a Antec 1300w Platinum PSU, my 3 27" LG monitors, and a ASUS Maxmimus VI motherboard. Along with that I will be going on vacation this week, so I will have lot's of fun to come back to once I get back home on sunday.

Turned mine up today at a light, guy next to me his steering wheel started moving and he looked over at me like I was a magician lol.

fuck the plating. look at what the main metal used is. you could buy unicorn blood plated terminals but if its just covering up dog shit, whats the point

I'll admit, half way through sanding that fiberglass in the rain and cold while I was all itchy I was definitely starting to question why i was doing this haha

• Soon To Be
  • '04 Ford Escape
  • D4800 Under the Hood
  • (6) XP3000's in Rear
  • Pioneer DEH-80PRS
  • DD AW6.5 (2) per door
  • *Tweeter Unkown*
  • DD SS4a & C3d
  • (2) SCV4000 @ .5Ohm
  • (2) 15" Sundown Zv5

I found 2 Gigabyte R9 290's for 380 a piece, and they each ahve 3 fans on them so those should be pretty nice. Those will be in tomorrow. I will be taking many pictures and probably making a whole new thread for the build. 5 monitors in total on this desk so it's going to be sick.

• Soon To Be
  • '04 Ford Escape
  • D4800 Under the Hood
  • (6) XP3000's in Rear
  • Pioneer DEH-80PRS
  • DD AW6.5 (2) per door
  • *Tweeter Unkown*
  • DD SS4a & C3d
  • (2) SCV4000 @ .5Ohm
  • (2) 15" Sundown Zv5

• 2 weeks later...

That's a damn nice price for 290's

b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png

Krakin's Home Dipole Project

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370

Krakin, are you some sort of mad scientist?

I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . .

What you hear is not the air pressure variation in itself

but what has drawn your attention

in the two streams of superimposed air pressure variations at your eardrums

An acoustic event has dimensions of Time, Tone, Loudness and Space

Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears,

thus no formula can achieve a definite effect for every listener.

That's a damn nice price for 290's

Why I once I found those I was sold lol. Things are running great too.

• Soon To Be
  • '04 Ford Escape
  • D4800 Under the Hood
  • (6) XP3000's in Rear
  • Pioneer DEH-80PRS
  • DD AW6.5 (2) per door
  • *Tweeter Unkown*
  • DD SS4a & C3d
  • (2) SCV4000 @ .5Ohm
  • (2) 15" Sundown Zv5

I agree with the rest of your statement but I want to address the bold/underlined part just for completeness.

Efficiency and 80+ ratings don't dictate how much power a PSU puts out or how "clean" the power is. Efficiency applies only to how much power is lost as heat in the conversion of high-voltage AC power at the wall to low-voltage DC power inside the computer. A 1000W 80+ Bronze PSU will put out 1000W and a 720W 80+ Gold PSU will put out 720W. The difference in efficiency comes when considering how much power they will draw from the wall.

Chart of 80+ ratings courtesy of Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/80_Plus

ej8uwy.png

I live in the US so I'll be using the 115V column in the chart above for the maths below.

A 1000W 80+ Bronze PSU is 82% efficient at full load, meaning at full load it can output 82% of the power it takes in after converting it from AC to DC. To output 1000W of power it needs to draw ~1220W (1000 / 0.82) from the wall.

A 720W 80+ Gold PSU is 87% efficient at full load, so to output the full 720W of power it needs to draw ~828W (720 / 0.87) from the wall. Despite being more efficient it still can't put out anywhere near the 1000W that the 1000W Bronze unit can.

For completeness, a 1000W 80+ Gold unit only needs to draw ~1150W (1000 / .87) from the wall at full load. Due to it's higher efficiency it draws 70W less than the 80+ Bronze unit while still putting out the same amount of power.

wtf is lolcats?

I'd def get a fat hooker if i had to resort to that kinda thing. I feel like they'd be grateful and work harder. Also its more bang for my buck, more real estate for my dollar if you catch my drift. its like the Costco of streetwalkers.

I was hoping for 150 :(.

I was hoping she would let me put it in her butt

Well god thing I went with a platinum PSU lol

• Soon To Be
  • '04 Ford Escape
  • D4800 Under the Hood
  • (6) XP3000's in Rear
  • Pioneer DEH-80PRS
  • DD AW6.5 (2) per door
  • *Tweeter Unkown*
  • DD SS4a & C3d
  • (2) SCV4000 @ .5Ohm
  • (2) 15" Sundown Zv5

I agree with the rest of your statement but I want to address the bold/underlined part just for completeness.

Efficiency and 80+ ratings don't dictate how much power a PSU puts out or how "clean" the power is. Efficiency applies only to how much power is lost as heat in the conversion of high-voltage AC power at the wall to low-voltage DC power inside the computer. A 1000W 80+ Bronze PSU will put out 1000W and a 720W 80+ Gold PSU will put out 720W. The difference in efficiency comes when considering how much power they will draw from the wall.

Chart of 80+ ratings courtesy of Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/80_Plus

ej8uwy.png

I live in the US so I'll be using the 115V column in the chart above for the maths below.

A 1000W 80+ Bronze PSU is 82% efficient at full load, meaning at full load it can output 82% of the power it takes in after converting it from AC to DC. To output 1000W of power it needs to draw ~1220W (1000 / 0.82) from the wall.

A 720W 80+ Gold PSU is 87% efficient at full load, so to output the full 720W of power it needs to draw ~828W (720 / 0.87) from the wall. Despite being more efficient it still can't put out anywhere near the 1000W that the 1000W Bronze unit can.

For completeness, a 1000W 80+ Gold unit only needs to draw ~1150W (1000 / .87) from the wall at full load. Due to it's higher efficiency it draws 70W less than the 80+ Bronze unit while still putting out the same amount of power.

Sweeetttt. I just know that a lot of people go overkill on PSU's. While its probably the one part of a PC build you should spend the MOST money on, With the higher efficency of newer cards, sometimes it seems a bit pointless to get a super huge 1000 watt+ PSU. Hell even the CPU's are using less power. My current i5 uses less power than an E8600 Core2Duo, and my Dual core Xeon 2950 dell server.

• 3 years later...

Archived