Big build, need some big help.

Hello Everyone,

I've been watching Steve for awhile now. I love his car builds, especially the Lexus, but I'm really interested in his shop towers. I'd like to modify this idea and create a kitchen island that can house 4 subwoofers and use passive radiators. The other interesting aspect I'd like to throw into this is that I'm looking to make the box an octagon. Here are the details I'm working with;

I was originally going to do a rectangle island with 4 SMD 18" AA subs, but seeing as those are discontinued and AA hasn't mentioned anything about a new line, I'm currently looking into using 4 DC Audio Level 6 m3 18" subs instead. These subs are supposed to have 6 cubic feet per sub of air space. I know there should technically be 8 passive radiators at 18", but im curious if I could get away with 4. The amps I would be using would mimic Steve's choices: those being a Crown XTI 4000 powering each sub. The length of the sides of octagon are looking to be 24". If you were to look at an octagon, the plan would be to place the passive radiators on the flat sides, as if the octagon was a square, and the subwoofers on the angled sides. So if you were to connect the passive radiators with lines, they would make a "+" sign and the subwoofers would make a "x".

Spec List:

-(4) DC Audio Level 6 m3 18" subwoofers

-(4) Crown XTI 4000 ampllifiers

-(4- 8) 18" passive radiators

-24" sides

- Octagonal box

So my question is, can someone help me narrow down exactly how long each side of the octagon should be, how tall it should be, and how many passive radiators I should use to achieve a box that is tuned to 30-32 hertz. And yes, of course there will be mids and highs to accompany and balance the island, but the dimensions and exact specs of the island are where I'm stuck.

Thank you for any help/advice you can give, I look forward to the input!

I can't help you because I have no knowledge of how to use passive radiators but this build sounds friggin ridiculous. Please make a build log when you make this monster.

750??! Yeah, fuck that. Fuck this website, fuck SMD, fuck Steve, fuck all of his butt buddy mods, and their couches.

^ DON'T BE A DICK LIKE THIS GUY :)

Team Subsonic Lows

A house system is nothing like a car system. You do not need 4 amps for subs. 1 Amp, electronic crossover and 2 subs will shake pictures off the wall plus the neighbors. There are a lot of choices in amps and crossovers. I would not put in kitchen you are going to get a lot of vibration in cabinets glassware etc. Even the windows will rattle. I have 2-15, 2-12 subs on my system in my family room and you can hear it 1 block away. I use 31 band of eqs. for each channel also. Is the kitchen closed in or open also. Wood floor versus carpet floor. Height of ceiling all goes in to designing it also.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/garage/vehicle/2438-jeep-commander/

th_140x100square.jpgMechman_140x100px.JPGDCHome.jpgI

image_url-76414-1423274612_thumb.jpgimage_url-76414-1423320284_thumb.jpg

Pioneer P99RS
Ampere 3800
2-Ampere 125/4
4-6.5 inch Hertz HSK XL Mids
4-8 inch JL Audio ZR Midwoofer

2-5.25 Satori Mids
2-Morel Tweeters, 2 Hertz Milles 3 inch on A pillars
2-Hertz Silk tweeters
DC Audio Level 5/12
Skyhigh Wire
Mechman 320
XS Power D3100

MO Funniest Thread of the Year 2013: http://www.stevemead...dy-being-a-pos/

A house system is nothing like a car system. You do not need 4 amps for subs. 1 Amp, electronic crossover and 2 subs will shake pictures off the wall plus the neighbors. There are a lot of choices in amps and crossovers. I would not put in kitchen you are going to get a lot of vibration in cabinets glassware etc. Even the windows will rattle. I have 2-15, 2-12 subs on my system in my family room and you can hear it 1 block away. I use 31 band of eqs. for each channel also. Is the kitchen closed in or open also. Wood floor versus carpet floor. Height of ceiling all goes in to designing it also.

So what if I altered the project so that it was a hexagonal island and only used 2 subs and 4 PR's? As far as the floor goes the plans are to be a high gloss thick coat polymer that has all sorts of things inside it, but will be thoroughly strong and rigid. The height of the ceiling would be standard, about 8 feet. I agree that the items in the kitchen would rattle, and measures such as foam mats and magnet strips to hold things in place would be used. The plates of course would still rattle, which I will design something to keep it to a minimum. This island will be about 5-6 feet from any area of the kitchen. Sort of in a sense half way out of the kitchen and half way into the space adjecent to the kitchen, which is looking to be the living room. Sort of a center piece for music to be played from as well as a functional object. The layout of the kitchen would be that of a "U" in the sense of the kitchen is against 2 walls and the other leg of the "U" would come from a bar. The mouth of the "U" would open out to the family room.

I would do a system in family room. If you ever plan on moving this is not going to increase property value. Do it in a massive coffee table. Or built into floor.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/garage/vehicle/2438-jeep-commander/

th_140x100square.jpgMechman_140x100px.JPGDCHome.jpgI

image_url-76414-1423274612_thumb.jpgimage_url-76414-1423320284_thumb.jpg

Pioneer P99RS
Ampere 3800
2-Ampere 125/4
4-6.5 inch Hertz HSK XL Mids
4-8 inch JL Audio ZR Midwoofer

2-5.25 Satori Mids
2-Morel Tweeters, 2 Hertz Milles 3 inch on A pillars
2-Hertz Silk tweeters
DC Audio Level 5/12