Second Skin Audio

New box, debating port orientation.

bsneon98

Hey guys right now I'm in the process of designing a new box but I'm not sure If I want my port on the drivers side, or in the center.

Currently my box is firing forward sealed off with the port on the drivers side. It gets nasty low with both front windows down.

Will having a center port change that? Im sure it will but I just dont know How or What its going to change.

Most commonly seen is that port on driver side meters better.

A port unloads in the opposite corner of the car, port on diver side unloads in front passenger side port on passenger side unloads on driver side. Not sure how it works when ported in the middle and this statement might not always be true.

Are you looking for more spl out sq? If sq maybe center port will work for you. From my understanding a centered port gives better sound/decent output.

t1500bdcp

2 t2d4 15"

1 t600.4

1 t400.2

1 set p1 tweets

singer alt, tons of wiring, smd vm-1, 80prs, back seat delete, still in the works, aiming for a 145-147 with the ability to play 25hz up to 50hz.

If a side port is working for you right now, why would you want to change it?

The last 2 boxes I have build have been ported drivers side, wanted to try something different. Plus I like building new kinds of boxes to get better lol.

Most commonly seen is that port on driver side meters better.

A port unloads in the opposite corner of the car, port on diver side unloads in front passenger side port on passenger side unloads on driver side. Not sure how it works when ported in the middle and this statement might not always be true.

Are you looking for more spl out sq? If sq maybe center port will work for you. From my understanding a centered port gives better sound/decent output.

Basically SQL lol. SPL boxes can be musical however, so my ideas arent limited.

If a side port is working for you right now, why would you want to change it?

Because when you satisfice you don't always make the best choice necessarily ;)

OP, majority of my setups have been center port except for one. Ends up sounding the same (just as loud) in driver's and passenger seat whereas a port on driver's side tends to sound louder in the passenger seat from what I've seen.

ninja.gif Build in progress ninja.gif

for an spl box how much port area do you guys recommend?

Go with Small's estimate, here is a calculator for it, just fill the minimum vent area section.

http://www.carstereo.com/help/Articles.cfm?id=31

You have to know Xmax for your sub DO NOT use the default value they give.

Ok, thank you!

Archived