My small build , "New Focal component set" Pg 89

without a scope it's not really possible to say which one will be the cleanest. I personally would rather do the sub-level at 0, no punch eq, and gain set at -10dB overlap with the DD-1..... cause that's exactly how I have mine now :)

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tough one. It gets confusing but as far as i understand the process start off with the way the DD-1 instructs how to do it. Then make minor adjustment using the HU EQ. Music is record in so many diverse method's that makes tuning a system difficult. If i tune my 80-PRS & amps perfectly to test tone and then play music there will be a variance in levels and clarity that can introduce distortion into your system. So my 80-PRS HU is clean up to 60/60, tune all amp according and when i play music i know, i can hear, feel that my system is distorting at 56/60 so it must be the music because i know i am clean up to 60, unless i have boosted something, or + up on the levels. Flat with everything to 0 is how i understand it.  Then you find out what your systems strength's and weakness's are. I suck at tuning though, its my biggest weakness that i am trying to over come. Lack of patients to tune and fix fuck ups.

Thanks for the response. I sent Rockford Fosgate an email to ask them what exactly the punch eq on the amp does.

I agree tuning sucks just because there are so many variables in the music I download. Some are loud and hit hard and some are not so it takes some adjusting. Most of the time I have the front stage crossed at 100hz but some songs can drop as low as 63hz and still sound good and some it just distorts so I have to go back up to 100hz. So I just keep it crossed at 100hz. The sub I just keep it crossed at 80hz and set the sub level to +6 so I can turn the bass knob up for the songs that need it and down for the ones that don't. I guess if all music was created equal it would be easy.

So just trying to find out what would work the best with all the adjustments available from the amp to the HU. I could just max everything out and just use the bass knob to control it all but I am not sure what the punch eq , the sub level and setting the gains with a 0db - -15db really does to the clarity of the music. So I guess that's the real question. Does the sub level on the HU act as a gain by giving it more power just like turning up the gain? Does the punch eq do the same as the sub level? Fuck

If that's the case I should just set the sub gain at -15db @40 hz and set everything else to 0 and leave it at that.

80prs

Arc Audio Xdi 1200.6 (using active crossovers) Freaking awesome amplifier

Incriminator IA 10.1

Focal PS 130v 5.25 (doors)

4" Faital pro Neo (kick panels) 

3" Faital pro Neo and focal tweets( dash)

DC Audio level 3 12"  custom box designed by joex built by me

AGM front, XS 750SE batteries rear

DC 180 alt

99 Toyota Tacoma extra cab

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/179476-my-small-build-turned-into-the-ongoing-build/

2 hours ago, oldsoundguy said:

Thanks for the response. I sent Rockford Fosgate an email to ask them what exactly the punch eq on the amp does.

I agree tuning sucks just because there are so many variables in the music I download. Some are loud and hit hard and some are not so it takes some adjusting. Most of the time I have the front stage crossed at 100hz but some songs can drop as low as 63hz and still sound good and some it just distorts so I have to go back up to 100hz. So I just keep it crossed at 100hz. The sub I just keep it crossed at 80hz and set the sub level to +6 so I can turn the bass knob up for the songs that need it and down for the ones that don't. I guess if all music was created equal it would be easy.

So just trying to find out what would work the best with all the adjustments available from the amp to the HU. I could just max everything out and just use the bass knob to control it all but I am not sure what the punch eq , the sub level and setting the gains with a 0db - -15db really does to the clarity of the music. So I guess that's the real question. Does the sub level on the HU act as a gain by giving it more power just like turning up the gain? Does the punch eq do the same as the sub level? Fuck

If that's the case I should just set the sub gain at -15db @40 hz and set everything else to 0 and leave it at that.

This^^  Every type of music I listen to I am constantly messing with settings because it seems like there is no set it and forget it for all the music out there.......sigh, it's never ending brother

2007 Chevy Tahoe (SOLD)

12 ~ FI Audio X series 10" w/BP option

2 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @0.67

3 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @1.0 

2 ~ PPI 3 way sets (not installed yet)

1 ~ RF T400-4, 1 ~ RF T600-2, 1 ~ RF T600-4

4 ~ CT Sounds 5.25" Strato comps  (rear fill only)

1 ~ XS Power D4800

1 ~ XS Power D3400

8 ~ XS Power XP3000

160 stock alt, Mechman 370 Elite, 185 DC Power

320+ Sq. Ft. Sound Deadener

Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/knfjdkghjudfhsgkjdhf/videos?sort=dd&view=0&shelf_id=0

1 minute ago, Karkov said:

This^^  Every type of music I listen to I am constantly messing with settings because it seems like there is no set it and forget it for all the music out there.......sigh, it's never ending brother

Well at least I am not the only one who constantly messing with his HU. lol  I did some research and found that the PLC2 that I have for the amp is directly connected to the gain control. When you set the gain on this amp you unplug the PLC2, set the gain with the track you want then plug it in and it acts as gain control so you can only lower the gain from your set point which is a good feature.

So with that info I will set the gain with the -15db track, set the punch eq to 0 and set the sub level to 0 on the head unit and only use the PLC2 to control the subwoofer.

I was doing some reading and I think the punch eq is a bass booster from 0db to +18db so using that will introduce clipping at full unclipped gain setting volume. I also believe that turning up the sub level on the HU will do the same.

80prs

Arc Audio Xdi 1200.6 (using active crossovers) Freaking awesome amplifier

Incriminator IA 10.1

Focal PS 130v 5.25 (doors)

4" Faital pro Neo (kick panels) 

3" Faital pro Neo and focal tweets( dash)

DC Audio level 3 12"  custom box designed by joex built by me

AGM front, XS 750SE batteries rear

DC 180 alt

99 Toyota Tacoma extra cab

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/179476-my-small-build-turned-into-the-ongoing-build/

I agree with your statements. It is a bitch tuning to multiple types of music. I try to use like the Eagles, Styx, Pink Floyd for tuning. So many instruments that can make your system shine if set up right to really hear it clearly. Christopher Cross and his 70's hit "Sailing", Hall & Oats sound amazing in the Malibu. Lancers not there yet! I figure if you can make these types of music sound good, heavy metal, RAP, Hip Hop can be made to sound good with minor EQ adjustments. 

It'll blow your mind how much louder and cleaner your system is when you setup each component with the DD-1 (or scope).  Reedal preaches proper DD-1/scope setup pretty commonly here, and its because it makes a world of difference.  

Chevy Sonic Wall (4) 15's on 10k Build Log

https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/209412-2015-chevy-sonicwall4-15s10klithiumlarge-case-hairpin-us-alts/

(4) Fi SP4 15's | (2) Ampere 5Ks | Active! | Arc KS600.2 & KS125.2mini | CDT Silk Domes | Silver Flute 8s | 240Ah JY | US Alts

Jeep Wrangler JK (4) 8's in a 4th Order Build Log

https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/209841-shadow-2016-jeep-wrangler-jk4th-order4-8sdc-35klarge-case-hairpin-us-alts/

IG @walledsonic

When you have music recorded at different levels, you have to know your system. If you turn it up and the sound changes then you are kicking it's butt.

91 C350 Centurion conversion ( Four Door One Ton Bronco)

250A Alternator (Second Alternator Coming Soon)

G65 AGM Up Front  / Two G31 AGM in Back

Pioneer 80PRS

CT Sounds AT125.2 / CT Sounds 6.5 Strato Pro component Front Stage

CT Sounds AT125.2 / Lanzar Pro 8" coax w/compression horn tweeter Rear Fill

FSD 5000D 1/2 ohm (SoundQubed 7k Coming Soon)

Two HDS315 Four Qubes Each 34hz (Two HDC3.118 and New Box Coming Soon)

^^ Bingo! I wish i had a CC-1 to dial in my mids & highs. I now realize that months of planning, days of installing = weeks of tuning and fixing! (most important step) which i would avoid by going on to the next improvement in hopes the system would sound better. It was different when i had one system to work on but with the Lancer, Malibu & SideKick give me more time to test and tune. Trying to learn patients.

5 minutes ago, ShadeTreeMechanic said:

When you have music recorded at different levels, you have to know your system. If you turn it up and the sound changes then you are kicking it's butt.

Agree 100%. if you build your system or have it long enough you should be in tune to what its limits are and when your pushing it too hard. 

Archived