My small build , "New Focal component set" Pg 89

Today I went out and installed the kick panels. I have them wired up temporary to the P1000X5. I don't want to install the Xdi 1200.6 until I get my sub amp then I will do a full install of both.

So I have the 4" faital pros wired with the Focal 5.25s  I know its not perfect being the faital pros are 8ohms and the Focals are 4 but its still only 2.66 ohms and the gains are down. I played them by themselves and they like to be crossed at 100hz or a bit higher and 8K at the top end. So I have the Focals crossed the same and it sounds pretty good. I know the Focals can be crossed lower so it will be optimal when the new amp is installed and both speakers get their own channels and bandpass cross overs. I could install the Focals mid passive crossover which cuts them at 3.5K  but its only temp so no need.

Over all I am happy with the sound coming from the lower part of the truck. Should be real nice when its all in and done.

80prs

Arc Audio Xdi 1200.6 (using active crossovers) Freaking awesome amplifier

Incriminator IA 10.1

Focal PS 130v 5.25 (doors)

4" Faital pro Neo (kick panels) 

3" Faital pro Neo and focal tweets( dash)

DC Audio level 3 12"  custom box designed by joex built by me

AGM front, XS 750SE batteries rear

DC 180 alt

99 Toyota Tacoma extra cab

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/179476-my-small-build-turned-into-the-ongoing-build/

Any Pics? Glad your playing with frequency's to figure out what sounds best. I had the 4" in the daughters crossed over at about 200 HPF and the CT sounds LPF @ 300 hz. The 4's do play nicely down to 100hz though, i had 50 watts going to the 4 ohm driver and it did great. I could have ran no midbass in the kick panels but i had already the work so it was just a matter of tuning. Great little speakers. Fun to play with the different drivers isn't it.

1 hour ago, bcbrassard said:

Any Pics? Glad your playing with frequency's to figure out what sounds best. I had the 4" in the daughters crossed over at about 200 HPF and the CT sounds LPF @ 300 hz. The 4's do play nicely down to 100hz though, i had 50 watts going to the 4 ohm driver and it did great. I could have ran no midbass in the kick panels but i had already the work so it was just a matter of tuning. Great little speakers. Fun to play with the different drivers isn't it.

It is fun. I didn't take any pics. I will cross them a bit higher when they get their own channel and crossovers. The focals can play down into the 50 hz  range and sound good so when I get the Xdi 1200 installed I will cross them low and the 4 " higher. I think the RF is rated at about 190 RMS at 2 ohms so maybe getting 160 then divide that by 1/3rds so maybe 50w to the 4" and 100w to the focal at the moment. The gains are set conservative on the mids and zero on the highs. The new amp I should be able to set all gains to zero and have plenty of power to run everything with clean power.

80prs

Incriminator IA 10.1

DC 180 alt

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/179476-my-small-build-turned-into-the-ongoing-build/

I wonder what the difference is in the reg faital pro 4" and 3" to the neo's?  I got the neo's just because the were smaller.

Looks like the 4" 4 ohm reg compared to the 4" neo 8 ohm is pretty big.

80prs

Incriminator IA 10.1

DC 180 alt

2 hours ago, oldsoundguy said:

I wonder what the difference is in the reg faital pro 4" and 3" to the neo's?  I got the neo's just because the were smaller.

Looks like the 4" 4 ohm reg compared to the 4" neo 8 ohm is pretty big.

Ya the magnets on the back where good size for a 4". I knew i had room plus @ $25 a driver it was more budget friendly.

IMG_2696_zpsrj7rndgd.jpg

I guess they are a lot bigger now that i have seen pics of the NEO compared to these.  Still pretty decent drivers IMO.

If you go onto parts express you can see the difference in parameters between the drivers. I ordered the 8 ohm because of the x-max is greater so less chance of distortion? That is what I have been reading.

Thiele-Small Parameters Faital pro 4" neo 8 ohm
  • Resonant Frequency (Fs)100 Hz
  • DC Resistance (Re)7 ohms
  •  
  • Voice Coil Inductance (Le)0.18 mH
  • Mechanical Q (Qms)4.9
  •  
  • Electromagnetic Q (Qes)0.7
  • Total Q (Qts)0.6
  •  
  • Compliance Equivalent Volume (Vas)0.07 ft.³
  • Mechanical Compliance of Suspension (Cms)0.6 mm/N
  •  
  • Diaphragm Mass Inc. Airload (Mms)4.2g
  • Moving Mass Of Diaphragm (Mmd)3.9
  •  
  • Maximum Linear Excursion (Xmax)2.73 mm
  • Surface Area of Cone (Sd)48 cm²
  •  
Materials of Construction
  • Cone MaterialPaper
  • Surround MaterialRubber
  •  
  • Voice Coil Wire MaterialAluminum
  • Voice Coil FormerKapton® / Polyimide
  •  
  • Basket / Frame MaterialSteel
  • Magnet MaterialNeodymium
  •  
Mounting Information
  • Overall Outside Diameter5.11" (mounting tabs), 3.96"
  • Baffle Cutout Diameter3.52"
  •  
  • Depth1.96"
  • Bolt Circle Diameter4.54"
  •  
  • # Mounting Holes4
Optimum Cabinet Size (determined using BassBox 6 Pro High Fidelity suggestion)
  • Sealed Volume0.09 ft.³
  • Sealed F3133 Hz
  •  
  • Vented Volume0.16 ft.³
  • Vented F367 Hz

Thiele-Small Parameters Faital pro 4" profess 4 ohm
  • Resonant Frequency (Fs)100 Hz
  • DC Resistance (Re)3.3 ohms
  •  
  • Voice Coil Inductance (Le)0.04 mH
  • Mechanical Q (Qms)3.94
  •  
  • Electromagnetic Q (Qes)0.9
  • Total Q (Qts)0.73
  •  
  • Compliance Equivalent Volume (Vas)0.07 ft.³
  • Mechanical Compliance of Suspension (Cms)0.65 mm/N
  •  
  • Diaphragm Mass Inc. Airload (Mms)3.9g
  • Moving Mass Of Diaphragm (Mmd)4
  •  
  • Maximum Linear Excursion (Xmax)1.73 mm
  • Surface Area of Cone (Sd)48 cm²
  •  
Materials of Construction
  • Cone MaterialPaper
  • Surround MaterialRubber
  •  
  • Voice Coil Wire MaterialAluminum
  • Voice Coil FormerKapton® / Polyimide
  •  
  • Basket / Frame MaterialSteel
  • Magnet MaterialFerrite
  •  
Mounting Information
  • Overall Outside Diameter5.11" (mounting tabs), 3.96"
  • Baffle Cutout Diameter3.52"
  •  
  • Depth2.3"
  • Bolt Circle Diameter4.54"
  •  
  • # Mounting Holes4
Optimum Cabinet Size (determined using BassBox 6 Pro High Fidelity suggestion)
  • Sealed Volume0.23 ft.³
  • Sealed F3110 Hz
  •  
  • Vented Volume0.24 ft.³
  • Vented F361 Hz

20170323_163548_zpsqtqzhejq.jpg

20170323_163525_zpsvvgtdbha.jpg

20170323_163540_zpsi5yl9cv6.jpg

80prs

Incriminator IA 10.1

DC 180 alt

Todays update

I went for a drive to the local Home Depot to pick up some connectors and speaker wire. I bought a roll of 100' 14 gauge speaker wire for the faital pros and the tweeters. I will be swapping out the 12 gauge for the sub to 8 gauge. I have some correct crimp speaker connectors on the way also. This will be the time I clean everything up and make it into a final install. Right now its just spliced together.

So onto the listening part of the trip. It sounded real good to my ears. I can tell you that the 4" in the kicks add to the great sound. They do need to be crossed different than the Focal in the door though. I would figure they need to be around 500hz to 5000 hz and the Focals like 50 hz to 4000 hz. I think that will make a big difference. I also need to treat behind the kicks better which will consist of closed cell foam to kind of seal the kick from the truck. Also the 3" faital pros could use some more tuning options. Right now I can only go down as low as 1.2K with the crossover on the HU. The tweets are on their crossover which works great for them. With the Xdi amp I will be able to try crossing them a bit lower and see how they sound. I cant wait. Also need to make some more dash pods so everything looks better. It should also help the 3" sound better than they do now.

As you know I have an amplifier coming for the sub. I decided on the Incriminator Audio AI 10.1 mono amp. http://incriminatoraudio.com/index.php/products/amplifiers/ia10-1-mono-block.html

Showtime Electronics had some on ebay for 389 with a best offer option. I sent them my best offer along with a message about being a SMD member and they took the offer.

I got it for 300 shipped which to me after looking at all the manufactures and specs that's a good deal for me. It puts out 1200W @ 1ohm but I am sure it does more than that. They did a amp dyno on the big brother of this amp the AI 20.1 which is rated at 2800W @ 1 ohm but it actually put out 4179 dynamic @ 1 ohm. It put out 2640W certified and uncertified 3607w. So ya underrated for sure. If this amp puts out 1200w it will be double what the DC audio 8" sub is rated for so it should be just about perfect. I should be able to run the gain lower than it needs to be and still getting plenty of CLEAN power to my sub.

80prs

Incriminator IA 10.1

DC 180 alt

Todays update:

Not much. Just thinking about adding another xs 750 battery ( one for each amplifier)  and how to mount both amps. The xdi has all the connections on the side and the IA has them on both ends. Will take some thinking. Might have to do some reconfiguring in the back. Both amps are on the small side so shouldn't be too hard.

80prs

Incriminator IA 10.1

DC 180 alt

Gratz on the amp!!!  Hell yea

Looking forward to future reviews once you get everything how you want it but what are your thoughts directly comparing the 3" faital to the 4" faital??

2007 Chevy Tahoe (SOLD)

12 ~ FI Audio X series 10" w/BP option

2 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @0.67

3 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @1.0 

2 ~ PPI 3 way sets (not installed yet)

1 ~ RF T400-4, 1 ~ RF T600-2, 1 ~ RF T600-4

4 ~ CT Sounds 5.25" Strato comps  (rear fill only)

1 ~ XS Power D4800

1 ~ XS Power D3400

8 ~ XS Power XP3000

160 stock alt, Mechman 370 Elite, 185 DC Power

320+ Sq. Ft. Sound Deadener

Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/knfjdkghjudfhsgkjdhf/videos?sort=dd&view=0&shelf_id=0

Archived