My Crazy 3 way SLI GPU/CPU Water Cooled Gaming PC Build - 3 GTX 780 (FINISHED page 4,5) (more Benchmarks pg 10)

Amy reason you chose the 4820k over something like the 4930k? I know price is a factor but the extra cores only available on socket 2011 are nice to have.

Great looking build though man. Should be capable for quite a long time even with tripple 1440 monitors. In for benchmarks

With talking to him through the rebuild, almost everything was bought LOCALLY (minus the water cooling, and the 3rd video card (since that has been out of stock locally for some time now)).

Not to mention to spend $500-1000+ on a current socket 2011 Intel chip right now is rather dumb, the new new chips are right around the corner and coming very very fast, which will result in these big dog chips like the i7-4960X will be dropping in price big time since Intel will continue devolving for this socket (or so all the big time geeks are reporting such as Anandtech, Tek Syndicate, Linus, etc.

No that's understandable. And short of a rendering machine you don't really need those cores anyway. Was just curious why the choice then of 2011 over 1150. But you're right I've heard haswell is getting a refresh and haswell-e isn't too far out

1999 Ford ExplorerTeam Sundown Audio4th 2012 Db Drag WF Street Stock 150.8dbYoutube Channel!http://www.youtube.com/user/BoomyurblownOperation 156 No wall Build Log!http://www.stevemead...x/#entry2196123

There are actually some of the new socket 2011 chips leaked iirc.

Of coarse if those leaks are legit or not my guess is as good as yours, but they dont seem to be stearing away from the X79 2011chipset anytime soon.

Even more proof to back this up is Asus's release of the new bad ass $500 2011 motherboard which is pretty much the same board, but revised and improvements on a bunch of things and labled a black edition.

So that pretty much says 2011 is here to stay for now, but your 1155s will fade out.. Man I dont know why I follow this crap since I run AMD cpu's mostly (but I do have an i7 on my laptop) LOL

What I do find odd is ddr4 is right around the corner as well, but that most likely hit end users/enthusiasts like us until q3 or q4 of 2014 im sure, since no one seems to really be doing a mobo for it and everything being worked on for it currently seems to be server based stuff, but with in time that always trickles down.

Yeah 2011 isnt going anywhere. But that's only their enthusiast level board. The new mainstream socket is haswell, or socket 1150 (not 1155 like 2600ks and such). Both should be around for a while. Amd yeah, j don't see ddr4 being relavent to the average consumer till late next year at best

1999 Ford ExplorerTeam Sundown Audio4th 2012 Db Drag WF Street Stock 150.8dbYoutube Channel!http://www.youtube.com/user/BoomyurblownOperation 156 No wall Build Log!http://www.stevemead...x/#entry2196123

I have PC envy. Nice Rig! I too have built many pc's. It's almost as fun as car audio!

Can you give us some clock speed numbers Steve? Did you overclock? Whats the processor speed?

What are the gpu core and memory clock speeds?

I got the quad core Intel I7 3770k running at stock 3.5 GHz I'm thinking of water cooling so i can overclock it. My mobo is capable of dual video cards I'm considering that as well.

I don't have a monster pc but I think its quite fast. Dual 24" monitors, 16 gigs ram, 240 gig Intel SSD, Sapphire Radeon HD 7870 GHz OC edition. 2 TB storage HDD. 850 watt PSU. Don't you love SSD'S? they are sooo fast.

dual24inchmonitors_zpsd77ecf35.jpg

Edited by scrapironfish

Also, I'm sure this is the last thing Steve wants to see, but despite the manual claiming that pattern was the way to go from the pictures it does look like you put way too much paste on (but maybe that's just how ti looks in pictures, and is deceiving me). Applying thermal paste in arbitrary patterns will decrease effectiveness because it will be thicker in some places than others, which makes the cold plate contact less reliable.

Edited by Guest

Heatsink base.

Cold plates are for Peltier elements.

Uneven application isnt really the issue, its general overall thickness as TIM is really an insulator in anything but a microscopic layer.

MickyMcD - "Capable of making some serious trouser flapping volumes at where's-my-testicles frequencies, the Servo-Drives used to be fairly jaw dropping..."

Any time you have have a power wire next to your frame put some rubber hosing (or cut up an innertube) around it. The wire is bound to wiggle (due to driving or flex) and the casing will eventually wear through.

Hammerdown... 1%

no links to outside websites, business related FB/YT pages allowed.

Also, I'm sure this is the last thing Steve wants to see, but despite the manual claiming that pattern was the way to go from the pictures it does look like you put way too much paste on (but maybe that's just how ti looks in pictures, and is deceiving me). Applying thermal paste in arbitrary patterns will decrease effectiveness because it will be thicker in some places than others, which makes the cold plate contact less reliable.

so i should ignore the manual and go with "jeremy, from the internet's" advice instead?

and just know this, the 2nd and 3rd cards, i went out of my way to make those "lines" in the pattern as thin as possible so i wouldn't have to listen to the know-it-all's again. Guess what happened? it self leveled again, spreading out on the chip on it's own, and started too look like too much AGAIN. But i know it isn't too much. As for the pattern itself, most of the bulk of it gathers at the center, where all the lines criss-cross making most of the blob in the middle. Also, guess what else? the temps are great, no problems at all. Honestly, 1/10th of 1000% of the people on my forum, facebook, twitter and youtube have never pulled apart a perfectly good video card and replaced the heat sync with a water block......so i am not sure where all the experts are coming from. I would say the usual "you read too much and don't DO enough"....except for if you READ, it tells you, i did it right. :)

• Like (+1 Rep) 1

All SMD products + MORE available at my store here! https://wccaraudio.com/ 
wc2022-red-black-whitebg_1667625898__08138.original.png.02e514af82dce531edf1aa4a36851c60.png

Subscribe to My Youtube Channel! Over 1,000,000 subscribers strong! Turn on your notifications!
http://www.youtube.com/meade916

Follow My Instagram! Daily live feeds from the shop, exclusive content way before it hits my Youtube channel...and little squares with photo's in them :D
http://www.instagram.com/meade916

The Official SMD Facebook fan Page
https://www.facebook.com/SteveMeadeDesigns/

Follow my Tweet (Twitter)
http://www.Twitter.com/meade916

Given the liquidity of the paste used, its not really an issue. I'm just glad it wasnt a silver based paste.. lol :)

• Like (+1 Rep) 1

MickyMcD - "Capable of making some serious trouser flapping volumes at where's-my-testicles frequencies, the Servo-Drives used to be fairly jaw dropping..."

Any time you have have a power wire next to your frame put some rubber hosing (or cut up an innertube) around it. The wire is bound to wiggle (due to driving or flex) and the casing will eventually wear through.

Hammerdown... 1%

no links to outside websites, business related FB/YT pages allowed.

Given the liquidity of the paste used, its not really an issue. I'm just glad it wasnt a silver based paste.. lol :)

WHOA!!!!

Wait a person that actually understands that all TIMs are not the same viscosity, and some of them that come with some brand coolers are actually very runny, and are normally non conductive paste.

While others like artic silver or mx, or ic diamond is conductive to name a few and causes a huge problem if it oozes off the chip.

No matter how many people reply saying its not an issue with how it is applied, and actually know the differences between different types of thermal pastes like us, Im sure people will continue to reply saying "YOU DID IT WRONG"!

lol

:D

• Like (+1 Rep) 1

Nice rig steve but you should have done one thing. Play the shit out of it

• Like (+1 Rep) 1

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.