Crimping or soldering terminals?

If you have the add on teeth for the vise, then it becomes a crimper. But why not do both? Crimp and solder.

It's impossible to do both.

Soldering is joining the metals together.

Crimping is cold welding the wire and terminal to one.

If you can do both, your are doing it wrong

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you have the add on teeth for the vise, then it becomes a crimper. But why not do both? Crimp and solder.

It's impossible to do both.

Soldering is joining the metals together.

Crimping is cold welding the wire and terminal to one.

If you can do both, your are doing it wrong

What the hell you mean impossible. You crimp it then solder it.

truthsayer

What do you mean what do I mean? If you crimp something the proper way, it becomes one piece. It's like trying to solder a copper bar. There is nothing left to solder.

If you can still solder it after your "crimp" then you aren't crimping at all. You are mashing/squeezing/crushing. It's a waste of time

Snow not trying to turn this into an argument, but no matter how well you crimp it does not become one piece. There is still always a small void. Just like stranded cable, no matter how tightly its been wound there is always a void. I imagine if some old timers chime in they will agree with my statement.

truthsayer

Snow not trying to turn this into an argument, but no matter how well you crimp it does not become one piece. There is still always a small void. Just like stranded cable, no matter how tightly its been wound there is always a void. I imagine if some old timers chime in they will agree with my statement.

riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight. Obviously you have not seen a proper crimp in your life then.

'01 Dodge Stratass Sealed Trunk Build Log
2008 Honda Fit Sport Build Log

On 10/3/2013 at 10:00 AM, ROLEXrifleman said:

Anyone who says they knew everything they wanted out of life at 19 can go suck a bag of dicks cause they are lying to themselves or brought up in a cult.

What void are you talking about? please elaborate.

100_0742_zpsc361bbb2.jpg

Started with a dremmel tool and cutting wheel. I have seen pics of a cut open crimp before and wanted to make sure the heat generated wasn't causing the wires to fuse so I finished with a hack saw

100_0744_zps88650672.jpg

Blury pic, but got about 1/3 through it with the dremmel before switching to the saw

100_0745_zps99cc2ea3.jpg

The smoother part is what the dremmel tool cut. The part with the horizontal lines is from the saw motion.

100_0749_zpsebbb0e0c.jpg

So this is clearly 1 solid piece of copper now. I still wasn't convinced that the cutting wasn't contributing in some way to the illusion of the strands being fused together. Here is a close up... pretty obvious what was done by the dremmel and what was done by the saw blade.

100_0757_zps0ed81f1c.jpg

I decided to cut again, a little closer to the beginning of the lug in hopes to see the strands on one side, and them fused together on the other. Got real lucky with the placement of this cut

100_0758_zps4d891655.jpg

'01 Dodge Stratass Sealed Trunk Build Log
2008 Honda Fit Sport Build Log

On 10/3/2013 at 10:00 AM, ROLEXrifleman said:

Anyone who says they knew everything they wanted out of life at 19 can go suck a bag of dicks cause they are lying to themselves or brought up in a cult.

Send me a piece of cable and I'll throw and end on it so you can see for yourself. It becomes a 100% solid, water tight, air tight piece. Being air tight or "gas tight" is a sign of a good crimp.

Not sure where you are going with the old timers statement. Times have changed, technology has changed. What is available to consumers has changed. We have great tools now, available to the general public that these "old timers" couldn't have dreamed of.

rockFord_Expedition, on 29 Oct 2013 - 3:06 PM, said:snapback.png

The smoother part is what the dremmel tool cut. The part with the horizontal lines is from the saw motion.

100_0749_zpsebbb0e0c.jpg

Look at the top part of the picture where the crimp meets plastic, thats solder my friend. You can also tell by the cut it has been solderd. Have you ever seen copper look silver.

truthsayer

You're going to make me go digging through my photobucket aren't you

Archived