Crimping or soldering terminals?

I'm dead serious

Send me a piece of cable and I'll show you first hand the power of a good crimp

This is the same chunk of cable I give to my friends when they doubt crimps. They can use any tool except a saw to get the end off. No one has succeeded.

Well times may have changed, but crimpers still remain the same. LOL I zoomed in on the pic and sure looks like solder. Anyways point being, just like when we had to repair fire hose fittings, and crimp the fittings. Just because there is no air or water leakage doesnt make it one solid piece. No diff when crimping any type of metals. Unless you are welding something together it's not one solid piece. Off course they cant get it of that's the purpose of a crimp. And when you cut the crimp, either from a saw or a dremmel, the heat and friction caused from such actions will give the apearance of a sold piece. If you think im wrong as Steve, i bet he agree's with me.

truthsayer

Show me a 30,000lb+ crimper that is the same

Fire hose fittings work by creating a seal between the metal and rubber. You crimp the fitting around the rubber hose, and the rubber(or whatever material) deforms to the shape of the metal, filling any voids, creating a water tight seal. Can't really compare.

I'll invite you to do a google search on cold pressure welding.

Also see this video. From 1:30-3:15. Same principle

Why waste your time crimping if you are going to solder anyway? If you do that you'll actually hurt your solder. It won't get proper penetration. What's the sense in that?

Well times may have changed, but crimpers still remain the same. LOL I zoomed in on the pic and sure looks like solder. Anyways point being, just like when we had to repair fire hose fittings, and crimp the fittings. Just because there is no air or water leakage doesnt make it one solid piece. No diff when crimping any type of metals. Unless you are welding something together it's not one solid piece. Off course they cant get it of that's the purpose of a crimp. And when you cut the crimp, either from a saw or a dremmel, the heat and friction caused from such actions will give the apearance of a sold piece. If you think im wrong as Steve, i bet he agree's with me.

you have a point.... buuut..

that is a 16 ton press essentially. 16 tons is 32,000 pounds.

i dont even want to think how much force is compressing that poor lug.

copper is very soft and ductile.

wouldn't surprise me if after crimping it is one solid piece.

with that much mass you can make a lot of things look like play-doh.

just my .02

fisigggg.JPEG?raw=1 Crossfire_Car_Audio2_265_zpsd219cf51.PNG ablogo_zps4c550ed1.PNG?raw=1 download%204_zpsecsgajxi.JPG?raw=1 Audison-Logo_zps3f7b2a7f.JPG?raw=1 sundown_bg2_zps1d0951fc.JPG?raw=1 orionsmalllogosig_zpsf8d08612.PNG?raw=1 KaptionLogo_zps06c2a555.JPG?raw=1 

I RREEALLY ANGRY WIT U PHOTOBUCKET. HAD TO USE DROPBOX NOW HOLYYYYYY.

Wanna ride bikes?

On 9/16/2017 at 3:28 AM, Jake Pace said:

Oh i know how a 12v system works I did take 3 years of electronics in High school hands on and some in college and also worked on cars in college an always got A's to B's in each class. 

But oh well enough dealing with ppl who have probably not even lived as long as ive been into electronics!

On 7/8/2013 at 4:01 AM, Banshee421 said:

Do horns get low

Why waste your time crimping if you are going to solder anyway? If you do that you'll actually hurt your solder. It won't get proper penetration. What's the sense in that?

Snow. if you checked out the complete article you should understand. It will give the penetration and stop any fraying. Anyways i cant believe how this thread turned into a argument. As i stated in my first post for audio electrical applications this was a good method. Maybe i did not do well in explaining it, so that is why i pulled up the link for the article. Stop the violence, cant we all just get along. LOL LOL LOL

truthsayer

No I read it. And the only thing I see is him soldering a terminal with some mis guided idea that his crimp is actually doing anything. You really want to take the word of a guy who can't proofread his article before posting it?

There's no argument. This is a forum. It's a discussion. However... You are being irrationally stubborn IMO. A member on here posted a picture of one of his crimps cut open, and imply he's a liar because some paint rubbed off his hacksaw blade, saying it was solder. You refuse to listen to reason when I tried to explain to you the idea of cold welding. I even offered to show you first hand what a proper crimp looks like and you stuck your nose up at it.

So the only conclusion I can come to is that you enjoy wasting my time since you are too vain to consider that there might just be a better way to do things.

Archived