Crimping or soldering terminals?

no matter which way you break it down, crimping is better than soldering.... period [when done correctly]. When you crimp, it is a copper to copper connection, no filler so to speak, and when you solder, there is a mix of lead, silver, and whatever else in-between your copper wire and you terminal. Regular silver solder isnt all silver, and generally has a low percentage of it, it is a silver mix.

silver right now is about 20 dollars per oz, you can get 8 oz of "lead free silver solder" for about 16 bucks.... what does that tell you....

29408240963_9908a51930_o.png
Best Score to Date : 160.5 dB Outlaw (47Hz)[4 XM 15's & 2 Taramps Bass 12k's]

BL :  http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/147800-chevyboy95s-4-15s-7krms-wall-1533-db-on-half-power/
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/hitemwiththeflex/

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

no matter which way you break it down, crimping is better than soldering.... period [when done correctly]. When you crimp, it is a copper to copper connection, no filler so to speak, and when you solder, there is a mix of lead, silver, and whatever else in-between your copper wire and you terminal. Regular silver solder isnt all silver, and generally has a low percentage of it, it is a silver mix.

silver right now is about 20 dollars per oz, you can get 8 oz of "lead free silver solder" for about 16 bucks.... what does that tell you..

agreed also add in the cost of manufacturing it and the roll its on etc. so the raw material for "lead free silver solder" (and this is just a guess here) probably about $1/oz. because the maker has to make money the seller has to make money etc.etc.

but on topic:

personally when using 8ga and below i solder especially when conecting multiple wires together but when i get my car running again and get all my 1/0 ordered and in ill garuntee you ill have them crimped with at least 15 tons because ive seen pressure welding first hand

http://www.youtube.c...e1?feature=mheehttp://www.stevemead...87#entry1993187

JVC KD-R530 head unit

VVME INNO-D1500 sub amp

Kenwood KAC-8402 amplifierPioneer 2-way 6.5 X2 @ 4 ohms

DTI Audio 6.5 X2 @ 4 ohmsbox: 4.24 ft^3 tuned to 61 hertz (port walls fell off and dissapeared :( )

Crimp wires has a tendency to loosen on time with car audio wire. It will start fraying away from crimped fitting. Solder is the professional way crimp is a short cut for failure. Crimp does not fuse itself to fitting like solder. Solder makes it one piece.

What wires have you ever seen fray away from the fitting? How were you crimping? I've been using the same connections for 2 and a half years and they are still as good as day 1.

I like to solder smaller gauge.

Crimp larger.

( i dont care if Steve solders everything. Like he doesnt care what i do)

If both/either are done proper, nothing is "coming lose over time".

(you dont see the power company soldering their big lines)

do what ever you want to do, just do it right.

Like I said not on the Forum to argue. We can all agree to disagree. Argue will get you no where in life.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/garage/vehicle/2438-jeep-commander/

th_140x100square.jpgMechman_140x100px.JPGDCHome.jpgI

image_url-76414-1423274612_thumb.jpgimage_url-76414-1423320284_thumb.jpg

Pioneer P99RS
Ampere 3800
2-Ampere 125/4
4-6.5 inch Hertz HSK XL Mids
4-8 inch JL Audio ZR Midwoofer

2-5.25 Satori Mids
2-Morel Tweeters, 2 Hertz Milles 3 inch on A pillars
2-Hertz Silk tweeters
DC Audio Level 5/12
Skyhigh Wire
Mechman 320
XS Power D3100

MO Funniest Thread of the Year 2013: http://www.stevemead...dy-being-a-pos/

crimp VS solder.....

Enough said

Both when done correctly are "right" just depends on the the installer. All the proper crimped connections shown in this thread will never fail, I prefer soldering my connections but my reason is more aesthetics since I use the rubber boots on the open ring terminals instead of heat shrink on the closed ones.

IMG_0914.jpg

IMG_0916.jpg

Semper gumby oorah

Snowdrifter don' waste you time with truthsayer, that guy is an arrogant idiot and not a "truth sayer" lol

Fucking ignorance. Jesus Christ

Please enlighten us on crimping or soldering... I'll wait

It's a shame this thread turned into an argument. I never said which way better. Only that you could do both. So because some of the kids on here wanted to be a know it all and just argue. Telling me you cant do both. So i decided to post a link showing you how to do both. And still some wanted to continue to argue. Some of you looked at the link and still wish to argue and call names. Well it only shows your ignorance, not mine. So dont say i didn't speak the truth, when that's exactly what i did. In case you missed i will give the link again. http://www.wheelchairdriver.com/crimp-solder.htm also i should add the deff of crimping, so you know it's not one solid piece http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crimp_(joining)

truthsayer

Not arguing but the example show was with small wire looks like maybe 8 gauge. I want to see that done with some sky high 2/0 and a lug that fits snug. Looks like an excellent way to do small wire type connections.

2003 Tahoe

dc 7.5k

dc level 5 15's (3)

MMats 341's

xs power batts

lots of sky high cable

dual alts(came off the sky-high gmc and don't know who made them)

ipad in center console

vu-din in center console

all being ripped out and being sold

Soldering properly works great.

Crimping properly works great.

Now, To the OP. This topic has been beat to death so many times it is pathetic. I am sure if you SEARCHED you would have found 30 plus topics on this very same damn thing.

Oh and btw guys. I do believe i know how to end all of this arguing and dick comparing......

/CLOSED

Daily Driver 1999 Kia Sephia

Kenwood DNX-893s
Audison Bit One Processor
2 Dat 4.125's
Sundown Audio SCV-6k
Hertz hsk-165xl's Mids running active                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               Focal V30 Series Tweeters running active 
Sundown Sa-8 v1's in the doors
2 Sundown Zv5 12's 
Lots of Hushmat
Big 3+ and 3 + & 3- runs of Trystar 2/0
2 Dc Power Engineering 320 HP Alts

2017 Comp Vehicle
2006 Toyota 4 Runner
Kenwood Excelon DNX-893s                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         Audison Bit One HD DSP
4 Sundown Sa 6.5v2 Component Sets 
Focal Access 6.5 2 ways
Sundown Audio Sax-50.4                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       Sundown Audio Sax-100.4
2 Dc Power 370xp
Northstar agm27f
Northstar agm65
2 Northstar asmagm 480's
2 Dual 1 Sundown Nightshade v3 12's
2 Sundown SCV-7500's
All SMD Fuse Holders
Shitload Of Sundown 1/0

120 sq ft Second Skin Damp Pro

No, Its Not A Burp Truck!!!!

2016 Season 3rd place in Xtreme 1 At Finals

2016 Season 6th Place In Kaos 1 At Finals ( Blew The Subs Up In First Round Eliminations)

2 Kansas State Records Set In 2016 In Xtreme 1 And Kaos 1 In Midwest SPL

2-1.jpgsa.jpg
DCPowerLogoTransparent2.png

David said:

audio is a lifestyle, not a hobby

newls1
I cant read a tape to save my life... 1/2's are ok, but other marks confuse me
kingsuv
only men who cant read a tape, take it in the ass
kingsuv
you sir, get a pink hard hat on jobsites

Archived