Second Skin Audio

Box Design for PSI 18(s) in Tahoe / System Advice NEEDED!

I have a 2003 Chevy Tahoe, currently have 2 Skar Audio VVX 15s on 2K Watts in a 30Hz ported box. I have the subs sitting Up and the Port facing the rear (trunk lid). I plan on getting one or two PSI 18's soon but am having trouble figuring out what to do next. I LOVE LOW NOTES. And just dont feel that the Skar's put out the Lows loud enough (VVX 15 has an FS of 38hz, the PSI P3 18 is 27HZ!). I will be hopefully installing Murder Mat sound deadener soon which im sure will make the lows better, but still, im after LOUDER CLEANER Lows that my whole body can feel while still sounding amazing. I need to ask you guys (especially those with very high-end systems), how do i achieve clean loud lows?? Im aware that Box design is crucial. Would Subs Up Port Up be better for lows? Or having the subs and port both facing forward towards me? Also lets say for a single 18" sub, what Cubic FT should the box be for clean loud lows? Yes, Im pretty noobish at systems but im learning so anyone with advice please feel free to help thanks.

• 4 weeks later...

Maybe this helps. I know that 4th order band-pass enclosures are big fat heavy hitters on the lows, dunno how clean the sound is but it's huge, epic lows. The thing is, do you have the room for one? 2 18" will need (i'm guessing here) like 8 cubes total for each one, 2-3 for the sealed part, and 4-6 for the ported section, maybe more. 4th order band-pass is a scary name, but it's actually quite simple. It's two boxes smacked together. One side of the sub is in a sealed box, and the other side is ported. The sealed portion is what causes the big lows, it allows the subs to reach really low and its pretty efficient too.

Team PSI should have some info on what type of box those subs 'like' the most, and the specs to build it to.

Also, here's a teaser vid of a 6th order with 'just two 18s" A 6th order is literally two ported boxes with the sub in the middle, one for each side of the sub's cone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-B6mEDKEv8

A warning though, both 4th order and 6th order are difficult to tune, especially a 6th. Get some help with the design.

Knowledge is the greatest tool in any garage. It's also the most priceless, and most easily shared. icon_nuts.gif

Here's my latest build.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/181273-89-c1500-build-log/

Archived