Second Skin Audio

2 18s, Subs Up Port Up OR both forward?

BassObsessed192

I'm curious to know, as far as LOWS go (23-30hz), what would be best position for a dual 18" enclosure's port? i love low notes but dont want to sacrifice the mid 30's either. To really FEEL the lows would having the port+subs forward be best? Also, what would a recommended tuning for the box be? 28hz? would there be a point in building a wall for 2 18s? appreciate any help guys.

I'd do a wall for 2 18's. I personally love lows as well, I think 28 would be fine if you still wanna have some 30 hz. Mind if I ask what you'd be using for amps, subs, and what power the amps do? And what the wattage is on the subs?

It'd help me understand the box setup more.

My trip to Meades shop - http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/172904-could-i-come-for-a-visit/

My vid at Meades shop - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxinD-xwWWo

Had an amazing time bro! Die hard Meade fan!

-- My System -- 2001 Hyundai Tiburon --

(1) Rockford Fosgate 1500.1bdCP

(1) Rockford Fosgate 360.3

(1) Pioneer GM-D9500F

(1) Optima Yellow Top D34/78

(2) Pioneer TS-W3002D - 1000W RMS 12's

(1) iPhone 5s - 32gb White

(1) iPad Mini - 16gb Black ( 24/7 Headunit )

-- Wanted Upgrades --

(2) SP4 (15's or 18's)

(1) BC5500

(1) Mechman 320 amp Alt

(4) Optima Yellow Top D34/78

(1) Big 3 Upgrade Kit

Fix my other T1500.1bdcp

Really a wall for just 2? Hmm, not that i have ANY idea how to build that nor do i know anyone thats willing to help me...ehh. Well I plan on buying 2 PSI Platform 3 18s fully upgraded (3000rms) and running them UNDERPOWERED on a Crescendo 3500 (puts out over 4k at 1ohm with good electrical), but at FIRST when i have it all set up they'll be running on just a 2000watt Hifonics Brutus until i upgrade the amp and electrical more.

Um, yeah a wall isn't needed for what you want. you don't have to tune low to hit lows either. The right box tuned around 33 hz will play into the low 20s and up into to the 40s great. Which way the port is pointing is all dependent on the vehicle. Some do better up, some back and some do good to the side.

I'm assuming it's an SUV since must small cars won't fit those subs. So port back would be a good choice in most cases.

t1500bdcp

2 t2d4 15"

1 t600.4

1 t400.2

1 set p1 tweets

singer alt, tons of wiring, smd vm-1, 80prs, back seat delete, still in the works, aiming for a 145-147 with the ability to play 25hz up to 50hz.

Thanks for the response alaskanzx5. Yes, its a 2003 Chevy Tahoe. I have 2 VVX Skar Audio 15s with the subs up port back at the moment. I just feel like if i put 2 18s in the back im gona blow my back windshield lol (idk, people have told me it comes out a few inches from bass flex already). Hmm a 33hz box that is sized correctly will play from low 20's clean all the way through 40s? my box i have in there now is tuned to 30hz, but it definitely is under-sized im sure.

I know this sounds weird but now im thinking of 4 15 PSI's instead of 2 18s, but walling those. Sorry I dont even know what im talking about entirely, I cant seem to make up my mind for this entire system upgrade. I think i need as much advice from as many people as possible about systems.

Puff yore looking for sq our musical look for sq build such As cable guy our the box he just built for I think slaminburban.

Ported box pending the design can be peaky or have a flat response. A flat response in other words a box that ha great output at a wife range of freq, not exactly a box meant for numbers but great musically.

Peaky as in peaks around a small range of freq and a narrow few response but usually great on a meter.

a decent box will play at least 10hz below and above tuning very well and start ti roll off from there. A peaky box will roll off faster then a box with a flat response.

In other words a box decently built tuned at 33hz should at least play down to 23hz and up to 43hz with great output.

t1500bdcp

2 t2d4 15"

1 t600.4

1 t400.2

1 set p1 tweets

singer alt, tons of wiring, smd vm-1, 80prs, back seat delete, still in the works, aiming for a 145-147 with the ability to play 25hz up to 50hz.

Ok Im liking the idea of tuning to 33Hz, but thats making sure you give the box the correct amount of cubic feet too (large enough)? Id like to do 4 15s with a wall but for me to build that thing, yet alone measure it correctly, is going to be a big challenge.

Don't tackle a wall if you don't feel comfortable. And you can tune litter I was just giving some info that you don't have to tune low to play low

t1500bdcp

2 t2d4 15"

1 t600.4

1 t400.2

1 set p1 tweets

subs up port forward would be fine. You have the truck correct?

The platform 3s don't have any cooling capabilities so count on each one @ 2 k rms.

2004 Grand Prix GT

(2) 12" RE XXXs (04/05 XBL^2)

5 cu. ft tuned @ 35 Hz

MMATS HD4000.05

MMATS SQ4100

Infinity Kappa components

Juice Box black cherry

Duralast platinum group 34

1/0 KNU OFC, 2/0 welding

Singer 250A

look at other Tahoe builds, most suvs seem to do better port back. haven't seen anyone with a Tahoe that had luck with port forward. port back allows you to load of the back door.

t1500bdcp

2 t2d4 15"

1 t600.4

1 t400.2

1 set p1 tweets

Archived