Need help/advice on single din gauge pod mod!

Hey guys, noobie here. I need some help on this project I want to do. I want to have a oil pressure gauge, water temp gauge, and a manifold vacuum gauge. My plan is to have 3 gauge pods on top of a single din spacer and Plexiglass, fabricated in the bezel.The single din spacer is where i can place and have my wires organized, and the Plexiglass is where I will be mounting the gauge pods on top of. Here are some pics of the bezel.

20131218_144334_zpsf9e3191a.jpg

20131218_144919_zps890e9ce0.jpg

Single din spacer taped to it.

20131218_145553_zps4024a0e8.jpg

20131218_145609_zps90069c3c.jpg

Here i have the gauge pods temporarily set on the single din spacer but its where the plexiglass will be. they are autometer angeled gauge rings #2234 that I bought. I was going to epoxy the single din spacer and plexiglass to the bezel, and epoxy the angled gauge pods to the Plexiglass, then cutting a hole in the plexiglass so the gauges can go in, but didnt know what to do about the empty gaps. Sorry for not uploading a pic of the plexiglass on top of the single din spacer, didnt have it cut out yet.

My question is, how do I make the gauge pods one piece with the bezel?

Is there some sort of filler to fill in those gaps and make it one piece?

And if so what type of filler should I use? And what steps should I take

If you guys have any suggestions or advice please tell me.

Thanks.

CA glue will bond them together. Fiberglass resin with matt, or kitty hair filler will help fill voids.

Firm believer in letting my cars do my talking!

You can't rush quality, it doesn't happen overnight. Quality takes time and dedication, but the end results more than pay for it.

"Black Pearl" Build Thread

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/67183-1985-buick-regal-limited-build-log/page-1

CA glue will bond them together. Fiberglass resin with matt, or kitty hair filler will help fill voids.

Thanks for the reply. What sanding grits should i use? And if i were to use the fiberglass resin with mat would i just cut the mat into pieces and stick them in the small gaps then apply the resin on top? Sorry for being such a noobie lol.

Thanks.

There are a few how-to threads on glassing, check them out, will be a ton of help. Usually for knocking down the first time I use 60 or 80 grit and work up from there.

As for the resin/matt, I would stretch grille cloth over your whole pod, glass it, use matte on the back side for strength, and then body fill the front side.

You can't rush quality, it doesn't happen overnight. Quality takes time and dedication, but the end results more than pay for it.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/67183-1985-buick-regal-limited-build-log/page-1

There are a few how-to threads on glassing, check them out, will be a ton of help. Usually for knocking down the first time I use 60 or 80 grit and work up from there.

As for the resin/matt, I would stretch grille cloth over your whole pod, glass it, use matte on the back side for strength, and then body fill the front side.

Ok, watched some of Steve Meade's videos on fiberglassing, and learned alot from it. So basically, i should stretch the grille cloth over all three gauge pods and the sides of the bezel, apply the resin, then once it cures apply the fiberglass matt on top of it with more resin, then apply body filler for smoothness right? What about those gaps that will be under the grille cloth though, should i cut little pieces of fiberglass matt and resin them in there for extra strength?

Thanks for the help.

Yes, you can do matte amd resin in the gaps, or you could do kitty hair filler

Yes, you can do matte amd resin in the gaps, or you could do kitty hair filler

Thank you for the reply man greatly appreciate it. This may be a stupid question or someone may have already covered it but Am I supposed to sand where the fiberglass matte will be applied? Sorry for all the noobie questions.

Thanks for the help.

I would recommend CA gluing stretched fabric over the pod, resin it. Let that cure, sand it, apply matte and resin. Allow to cure. Apply body filler-sand-and-repeat until it's where you want it. High build primer, sand and continue until ready for paint.

I would recommend CA gluing stretched fabric over the pod, resin it. Let that cure, sand it, apply matte and resin. Allow to cure. Apply body filler-sand-and-repeat until it's where you want it. High build primer, sand and continue until ready for paint.

Thanks for your help.

Archived