Im a bit confused on TL scores. Someone clear this up for me?

I am a little confused about TL scores. I have seen people say that one persons 155 feels and sounds totally different to the ear than another person with a different setup doing the same numbers.

Here are some examples.

There is someone (forgot his name) but he did a build with 2 12w7s and 2 jl 1000/1s and got it to meter a 53 and change, and did something like a 147 at 17 hz all in the trunk.

Would that be the same experience as a wall with 4 15s that metered a 53 and change at exactly the same frequency?

Or, I have seen people that burp high 50s out of a single 15. even though im sure its probably a pretty high frequency, would it be the same if I sat in a walled vehicle with 8 or 10 15 that burped the same number at the same frequency?

I have sat in quite a few high 50s/low60s vehicles, but never one with a tiny setup like a burp box or someone doing it with 2 12s.

Is it really the same feeling/ pressure on your ears if the score is 155, no matter what equipment you are doing it with?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1000% no.

8 15s doing a 155 will sound/feel way differnt then a single 15 doing a 155

My truck is a prime example. It will only do a 154.4 sealed up. Which is garbage for 12 10s and 20k BUT its just as loud to the ear/body As some of the 159db demos ive gotten.

Example 2. CRX/pandas. They can do high 50 alllll day with 3 10s and 10k But at 56hz. Its loud to the meter But thats about it.

Every single vehicle will meter differntly. You can move your seat an inch forward or back and gain ALOT

In the 2000ish chevy blazers/ gmc jimmys.. You can pull out the passenger side dash speaker and gain .1-.7

In the end, if you are a daily driver/groundpounder Numbers are useless.

1998 gmc extd cab

12 crossfire C710s

4 SAZ-4500s

3 Singer 400A alts
buncha mids/highs

Team Asshole

oh the argument this subject tends to bring lol

its the "ear-o-meter" vs TL debate

in all honesty no 2 setups are going to sound the same at a given DB level.. but in all honesty no matter what people say.. a 55 will always be more violent to me than a 50 lol no matter what IMO

This isn't teeball. YOU DO NOT GET A TROPHY JUST BECAUSE YOU SHOW UP. Put the work in and then maybe get the respect when it has been earned

151.6 with single 12 at 41 hz

153.2 with 2 12's at 43 hz

power: dd m4

If you're talking about single frequency burps, a 50 is a 50 is a 50. It's when you're talking about a 50 on music that things sound different and it's an easy explanation.

Would you rather hear music at 150dB or fingernails scraping down a blackboard at 150dB? Obviously, the former is going to sound better to your ears and since it's pleasant, it won't sound as loud to you as the annoying sound, even though both would register the same on the meter.

The same thing also applies to music vs. music, in that if one setup is properly equalized and does a 50 while another is not properly equalized and does a 50, the latter will sound louder than the former but only because it's more annoying to listen to.

The meter, on the other hand, doesn't have our subjective and psychological ability to file away certain sounds as louder when they aren't actually louder. It just responds to sound pressure of any frequency and reports the number... regardless of how shitty it may sound.

Facebook: facebook.com/audioanarchyllc

Instagram: audioanarchyllc

Youtube: youtube.com/bbeljefe

aaresizehorizontal_zps47821bb2.jpg

If you're talking about single frequency burps, a 50 is a 50 is a 50. It's when you're talking about a 50 on music that things sound different and it's an easy explanation.

Would you rather hear music at 150dB or fingernails scraping down a blackboard at 150dB? Obviously, the former is going to sound better to your ears and since it's pleasant, it won't sound as loud to you as the annoying sound, even though both would register the same on the meter.

The same thing also applies to music vs. music, in that if one setup is properly equalized and does a 50 while another is not properly equalized and does a 50, the latter will sound louder than the former but only because it's more annoying to listen to.

The meter, on the other hand, doesn't have our subjective and psychological ability to file away certain sounds as louder when they aren't actually louder. It just responds to sound pressure of any frequency and reports the number... regardless of how shitty it may sound.

So your saying, a 150@35hz with 2 12s Will sound the same as a 150@35hz with 8 12s? But because of EQing thhey sound differnt?

1998 gmc extd cab

12 crossfire C710s

4 SAZ-4500s

3 Singer 400A alts
buncha mids/highs

Team Asshole

1000% no.

My truck is a prime example. It will only do a 154.4 sealed up. Which is garbage for 12 10s and 20k BUT its just as loud to the ear/body As some of the 159db demos ive gotten.

Example 2. CRX/pandas. They can do high 50 alllll day with 3 10s and 10k But at 56hz. Its loud to the meter But thats about it.

Every single vehicle will meter differntly. You can move your seat an inch forward or back and gain ALOT

In the 2000ish chevy blazers/ gmc jimmys.. You can pull out the passenger side dash speaker and gain .1-.7

this is irrelevant to this post but thanks for the heads up on pulling out the dash speaker lol. never heard that before. now i'm gonna have to try it and do some testing.

Audio Build

Ride: 2002 Chevy Blazer 4 door

Head Unit: Pioneer deh-80prs

Subs: 4 DC Level 3 15's in a 4th order wall designed by Trent Choate and Jeff Smith

Subs Amp: AQ 3500.1 at wired at .5 (soon to be 2)

Mids/Highs Amp: Skar 85.4

Mids/Highs: Skar components

Electrical: Mechman 270 amp alt, 2 runs of Knu 0 gauge, XS Power d3400, 2 Deka Group 9a31

Build log : http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/167658-indianabasshead-blazer-dc-audio-4th-order-wall-build/

Perfomance Build

2003 Nissan 350z

Greddy Twin Turbo, 3" Test pipes with Borla high-flow cats, Crawford Performance Plenum, Greddy E-manage Ultimate ECU

Exedy Racing Clutch, Built Motor by Racing Innovations

Greddy Over-fender aero kit (1 of 20 ever made), 19" Racing Hart r5 pro wheels
466rwhp

Bike

2008 Midnight Blue Kawasaki ZX-14

Stretched 8" and lowered, Brocks Sidewinder exhaust, Power Commander 5

1000% no.

this is irrelevant to this post but thanks for the heads up on pulling out the dash speaker lol. never heard that before. now i'm gonna have to try it and do some testing.

Audio Build

Ride: 2002 Chevy Blazer 4 door

Head Unit: Pioneer deh-80prs

Subs: 4 DC Level 3 15's in a 4th order wall designed by Trent Choate and Jeff Smith

Subs Amp: AQ 3500.1 at wired at .5 (soon to be 2)

Mids/Highs Amp: Skar 85.4

Mids/Highs: Skar components

Electrical: Mechman 270 amp alt, 2 runs of Knu 0 gauge, XS Power d3400, 2 Deka Group 9a31

Build log : http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/167658-indianabasshead-blazer-dc-audio-4th-order-wall-build/

Perfomance Build

2003 Nissan 350z

Greddy Twin Turbo, 3" Test pipes with Borla high-flow cats, Crawford Performance Plenum, Greddy E-manage Ultimate ECU

Exedy Racing Clutch, Built Motor by Racing Innovations

Greddy Over-fender aero kit (1 of 20 ever made), 19" Racing Hart r5 pro wheels
466rwhp

Bike

2008 Midnight Blue Kawasaki ZX-14

Stretched 8" and lowered, Brocks Sidewinder exhaust, Power Commander 5

1000% no.

Kinda not really. Bassically saying doing something that simple can gain you alot on the meter. You wont hear it to the ear, but the meter will say other wise

1998 gmc extd cab

12 crossfire C710s

4 SAZ-4500s

3 Singer 400A alts
buncha mids/highs

Team Asshole

Archived