Im a bit confused on TL scores. Someone clear this up for me?

1000% no.

8 15s doing a 155 will sound/feel way differnt then a single 15 doing a 155

My truck is a prime example. It will only do a 154.4 sealed up. Which is garbage for 12 10s and 20k BUT its just as loud to the ear/body As some of the 159db demos ive gotten.

Example 2. CRX/pandas. They can do high 50 alllll day with 3 10s and 10k But at 56hz. Its loud to the meter But thats about it.

Every single vehicle will meter differntly. You can move your seat an inch forward or back and gain ALOT

In the 2000ish chevy blazers/ gmc jimmys.. You can pull out the passenger side dash speaker and gain .1-.7

In the end, if you are a daily driver/groundpounder Numbers are useless.

this is irrelevant to this post but thanks for the heads up on pulling out the dash speaker lol. never heard that before. now i'm gonna have to try it and do some testing.
Kinda not really. Bassically saying doing something that simple can gain you alot on the meter. You wont hear it to the ear, but the meter will say other wise

right. i wasn't saying your post was irrelevant. i was saying me replying to thank you for that info was irrelevant haha. but i need all the help i can get. shooting for a 54 before i tear my wall out.

Audio Build

Ride: 2002 Chevy Blazer 4 door

Head Unit: Pioneer deh-80prs

Subs: 4 DC Level 3 15's in a 4th order wall designed by Trent Choate and Jeff Smith

Subs Amp: AQ 3500.1 at wired at .5 (soon to be 2)

Mids/Highs Amp: Skar 85.4

Mids/Highs: Skar components

Electrical: Mechman 270 amp alt, 2 runs of Knu 0 gauge, XS Power d3400, 2 Deka Group 9a31

Build log : http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/167658-indianabasshead-blazer-dc-audio-4th-order-wall-build/

Perfomance Build

2003 Nissan 350z

Greddy Twin Turbo, 3" Test pipes with Borla high-flow cats, Crawford Performance Plenum, Greddy E-manage Ultimate ECU

Exedy Racing Clutch, Built Motor by Racing Innovations

Greddy Over-fender aero kit (1 of 20 ever made), 19" Racing Hart r5 pro wheels
466rwhp

Bike

2008 Midnight Blue Kawasaki ZX-14

Stretched 8" and lowered, Brocks Sidewinder exhaust, Power Commander 5

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you're talking about single frequency burps, a 50 is a 50 is a 50. It's when you're talking about a 50 on music that things sound different and it's an easy explanation.

Would you rather hear music at 150dB or fingernails scraping down a blackboard at 150dB? Obviously, the former is going to sound better to your ears and since it's pleasant, it won't sound as loud to you as the annoying sound, even though both would register the same on the meter.

The same thing also applies to music vs. music, in that if one setup is properly equalized and does a 50 while another is not properly equalized and does a 50, the latter will sound louder than the former but only because it's more annoying to listen to.

The meter, on the other hand, doesn't have our subjective and psychological ability to file away certain sounds as louder when they aren't actually louder. It just responds to sound pressure of any frequency and reports the number... regardless of how shitty it may sound.

So your saying, a 150@35hz with 2 12s Will sound the same as a 150@35hz with 8 12s? But because of EQing thhey sound differnt?

Perhaps my post was unclear. I simple terms, I'm saying that the meter only hears sound pressure. We hear a variety of other things that cause us to perceive differences in sound pressure when in reality, they are not there. The perception of sound pressure to the human ear also changes from one human to the next, so what may sound like a 50 to you might only sound like a 40 to me... because we all perceive things differently.

Facebook: facebook.com/audioanarchyllc

Instagram: audioanarchyllc

Youtube: youtube.com/bbeljefe

aaresizehorizontal_zps47821bb2.jpg

If you're talking about single frequency burps, a 50 is a 50 is a 50. It's when you're talking about a 50 on music that things sound different and it's an easy explanation.

Would you rather hear music at 150dB or fingernails scraping down a blackboard at 150dB? Obviously, the former is going to sound better to your ears and since it's pleasant, it won't sound as loud to you as the annoying sound, even though both would register the same on the meter.

The same thing also applies to music vs. music, in that if one setup is properly equalized and does a 50 while another is not properly equalized and does a 50, the latter will sound louder than the former but only because it's more annoying to listen to.

The meter, on the other hand, doesn't have our subjective and psychological ability to file away certain sounds as louder when they aren't actually louder. It just responds to sound pressure of any frequency and reports the number... regardless of how shitty it may sound.

So your saying, a 150@35hz with 2 12s Will sound the same as a 150@35hz with 8 12s? But because of EQing thhey sound differnt?

Perhaps my post was unclear. I simple terms, I'm saying that the meter only hears sound pressure. We hear a variety of other things that cause us to perceive differences in sound pressure when in reality, they are not there. The perception of sound pressure to the human ear also changes from one human to the next, so what may sound like a 50 to you might only sound like a 40 to me... because we all perceive things differently.
Thats better lol

1998 gmc extd cab

12 crossfire C710s

4 SAZ-4500s

3 Singer 400A alts
buncha mids/highs

Team Asshole

i've sat in a few of these high tuned setups everyone likes to harp on.. its not fun at all hurts like a BITCH lol so.. i wouldn't say its only loud to the meter when something is tuned high.. i mean sure it can only burp or play songs that contain frequencies that are higher up there.. that doesn't make em not loud to the ear/body

This isn't teeball. YOU DO NOT GET A TROPHY JUST BECAUSE YOU SHOW UP. Put the work in and then maybe get the respect when it has been earned

151.6 with single 12 at 41 hz

153.2 with 2 12's at 43 hz

power: dd m4

Common sense time:

You don't sit in a 2x4" square against the windshield when you're demoing a vehicle.

Some cars with "small" setups that meter well on the windshield will not have the same pressure where you sit. They focus energy to that one place because that's how they've tested it to compete in that class. Bigger systems will have bigger numbers throughout the cabin, so they tend to demo better.

Static drops are my bag.

Ugh. Hnak exhausted me on this conversaton on FB already.

One thing I left out of that debate though was that certain gigantic setups may have cancellation issues that lead to a lesser TL number but still make pressure that is visceral to us. The TL doesn't "feel" pressure. We do. And that's a big factor in what people consider "violent" setups or trucks that give good demo or do hairtricks but aren't necessarily meter monsters.

And... Fletcher-Munson.

One thing I left out of that debate though was that certain gigantic setups may have cancellation issues that lead to a lesser TL number but still make pressure that is visceral to us. The TL doesn't "feel" pressure. We do. And that's a big factor in what people consider "violent" setups or trucks that give good demo or do hairtricks but aren't necessarily meter monsters.

And... Fletcher-Munson.

My truck meters like shit. 154.4@36hz sealed up and a 161.1@41hz outlaw, Butt it demos pree good!

1998 gmc extd cab

12 crossfire C710s

4 SAZ-4500s

3 Singer 400A alts
buncha mids/highs

Team Asshole

And... Fletcher-Munson.

My truck meters like shit. 154.4@36hz sealed up and a 161.1@41hz outlaw, Butt it demos pree good!

yeah... because 61's @ 40 are lame.

Sheesh.

Archived