DC Sound Lab

Worth it to run 16v on my 5ks?

For what it's worth, my D1400 with a 150a load drops to 13.5v.

Running 16v is more efficient however it does take more batts because of the low reserve...... Roughly you will see an increase in power, that will equal the same as adding a 3rd amp on a 12v setup. Running 16v daily can be done if you can run multiple ats. Which would be the only way I'd suggest it

Reserve capacity wise based on my experience with the d1400s and assuming the d1600s are similar, 3-4 d1400/1600 would be equal to 1 d7500.

D1400/1600- $260 each x 4

D7500- $560 each

Then you also have to consider having to have a 12v side to run your vehicle and 4 channel amps along with a dedicated 12v alternator and then have a separate charging system with 1-3 more alternators for the 14/16v side.

Or you run all 12v and have everything charging 1 bank and running the vehicle and amps.

Personally the way I see it is

12v= daily driver and maybe mild competing.

14v/16v= hardcore competitor looking for every last watt of power and every last .1db.

I would just do everything to keep around 14v

Use the coin those expensive bats cost, and add more alternator and 12v bat bank

The only thing id even care about (the extra power you get doesnt "do" it for me" ) is how cool the amps run, and voltage drop is not a worry.

Like Chris up there, he drops to 13.5, hell, i drop to 13.0 running more power. :shrug:

REAL MEN DO IT ON 12 VOLTS......

(love you Chris)

EDIT- i run one of singers big case alts, and have 4 - 7500's with one more coming. ON a dc 10k at .7

And i full tilt at least 90 percent of the time, hell its not up, when im swapping songs.

Edited by KyLar96

Just to clarify: The battery drops to 13.5 with a load test outside the car. In car I drop to 15.9 (at the inputs on the amp) :)

Edited by SnowDrifter

From what I've kind of gathered... Don't quote me on it because it's not exact... But I'd guestimate a cap of 6 2.5v super caps is about equivalent to a d3100. I seen taylorfade run a zero.5 @ 1 ohm on stock electrical and 2 super cap banks with nearly no drop... Since a bank is still a bank, moving up to 16v you shouldn't lose a lot of capacitance should you? since the 2.7v ones are 3000f you should likely GAIN capacitance. Right? Idc either way. I'm doing caps either way. Was just wondering how it is as an alternative to a ton of 16v batteries for everyone else.

Wall build: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/174827-walled-taurus-with-lambo-doors/#entry2571893

real men dont use fuses :D

Neither do morons
Says the guy with lambo doors on his Ford Taurus.