Best brand of welding wire or is it all made the same?

Welding supply and coppercableman on ebay seem to be quite popular but what about wireandsupply.com or electronbeam.com (EB-flex ) wire?

Also I see that 1/0 welding wire is rated for 350 amps at 50 feet while 2/0 is rated for 400 amps at the same length. I don't expect using more than a 20 foot run at most so what size cable would you guys recommend using for a Crescendo BC3500D at one ohm which calls for a 300 amp external fuse?

Lastly I noticed there is an ultraflex cable available from welding supply (as well as from directwireusa.com) that claims to contain 4x the strand count of the standard wire yet the amperage ratings are the same?

I use "RadaFlex" and love it.

http://www.cableyard.com/RADAFLEX-10-AWG-Black-Welding-Cable_p_12.html

Super flexible, reasonably priced and great customer service.

For your application 1/0 is fine but if you upgrade to 2/0, you'll be even better off.

Just depends on the tradeoff of cost and room for the bigger cable.

This post sent with 100% recycled electrons.
2004 BMW M3
Mechman 280A
2 - XS Power XP3000

1 - XS Power D375

500F of Maxwell SuperCaps (soon to be 1000F)
iPadMini2

Dash mounted O-scope
Audison bitOne (Remote DRC MP)
Highs Amp - PPI Art A404
Hertz HSK130 (HSK165 waiting...)
DC Audio DC9.0K
2- DC Audio XL12m2

LEGAL             - 147.3dB @ 41Hz
OUTLAW         - 150.2dB @ 45Hz

OUTLAW         - 145.7dB @ 30Hz
JUNE 2014 SOTM WINNER

2014 COLORADO PEOPLE'S CHOICE WINNER

SOTM BUILD:
http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/141656-wicks-e46-m3-build-bass-turbo-button-and-a-big-new-addition/page-68#entry2802026

sig-sized6_zps0265e669.png

Welding wire isn't like car audio wire. If you buy 1/0 OFC, that's exactly what you will get. Nothing oversized, nothing undersides, no CCA or plated anything. Just plain old vanilla copper wire.

That being said, there is a variance of strand count. And more/thinner strands is more flexible then fewer/thicker strands. Depending on how much space you have and how you will be routing the cable, that may be a factor you need to consider.

Also of note: You'll want 2/0 welding cable to stack up against most oversized car audio 1/0.

Archived