HELP - 1998 Cherokee Rear Speakers

PolishThunder

A friends dad wants me to do a system upgrade done on his 1998 Jeep Cherokee, he wants new speakers, new HU, and possibly a sub, I know how to do the HU, the sub, and the new front speakers, but there are no speakers in the rear doors and he wants them added. How would i go about adding the speakers to the rear doors, or is there a better location for them to be located for the rear stage? Nothing special i would like to avoid as much fiberglass and custom work as possible to get this build done quickly. Any help is greatly appreciated!! Thanks!!

PS: This is my first post on SMD so i hope its in the right place haha!

I'm pretty sure the Cherokees with the factory Infinity system had speakers in the rear doors. You could try to find a pair of those panels if you wanted it factory looking, or just cut up and glass the existing ones if you're feeling bold.

2016 Subaru BRZ | Sony XAV-AX100 | Rockford Fosgate DSM 4080 & DSM 40ix |

On 6/6/2012 at 6:32 PM, 'LZTYBRN' said:

3. Don't put speakers outside the car unless you are the ice cream man.

My feedback thread

I'm pretty sure the Cherokees with the factory Infinity system had speakers in the rear doors. You could try to find a pair of those panels if you wanted it factory looking, or just cut up and glass the existing ones if you're feeling bold.

I've looked around around you are correct about the infinity system but unfortunately the door panels are quite pricey so i don't know if hes gonna want to o do that but maybe i can fiber glass some pods that could go somewhere in the car to avoid damage to the existing panels.

I bet the mods and highs section has a to. Of info on this

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

I just used a hole saw drill bit and punched a hole in the plastic for a 6.5" mid and a tweeter. There is already a cutout in the sheet metal so just make sure your hole in the plastic lines up with the hole in the metal. Also, my 99 Cherokee came with pods for 5.25" speakers in the roof above the cargo area, did yours not?

I did something sort of similar in a Toyota, just cut out a hole for the speaker in the door panel. I used a 3/4 inch mdf spacer and painted it black (to match the panel). Then I just put the grill on the speaker and it looked like it was supposed to be there. I used 3/4" because I needed that much space to clear the window, you can probably get away with less. Also using a wooden spacer gives you the ability to screw the door panel to it making it fairly solid. If you want to glass it and make it look better I think it would look sick that way. Or even just bondo and cover it to match the door and make it look like a pod in the door.

Sweet i think that what we are gonna do that or maybe make a speaker ring and wrap in in vinyl and another smaller ring that fits inside the first one and wrap that in grill cloth and the attach the two to the out side of the door panel, Thanks for the help!

Archived