Do I have a bad battery somewhere?

For the past 2 months or so I took my subs and sub amp out so I just using my highs and barely at that. I have noticed my DC Power 320A alternator charges at around 14V with the 6 Deka 31's (back) and 1 Kinetik HC3800 (upfront) but the minute the car is turned off, within about 40 seconds it will drop to 12.5V and it will stay there forever basically. Does not matter if the volume is on mute either...

I am wondering if I have a battery that is bad or what do you guys think is the issue?

* Car has 3 runs of 0 ga for + and 2 runs of 0 ga for Ground. Big 3 has been done as well. All wires are CCA Skyhigh wire...

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, you need to charge them. Especially with a bank of 6 group 31s

Thats what I was watching in another thread. Heck, I only have 1 AGM battery, and I put a trickle charger on it when I've been playing the music hard lol.

All depends on situations and such if you need to charge them. If you don't drive much, like a bunch of 10-15 min commutes? Yeah, doesn't matter how hard you play your music, you need to. They're not getting the charge from the alt. But if you do a bunch of driving, hours and all? Probably not. Depends on how hard you play the music.

Of course, depending on the alternator. If you have 6 group 31s on a 90 amp alt, then I'd say charge them periodically no matter how much you drive. If you have what the OP has, then depends on the drive and how hard he plays music. But, wouldn't hurt to charge em every so often.

Sheena = pedobear

Yeah I do charge them almost every weekend with an agm charger thats rated at 7A (CTEK-7002) but even then it still drops to 12.5V just takes a two or three more minutes before it does. This is without the bass turned on - even with just the mids and highs on low volume (cannot hear it outside my garage) ....

So yeah I'm kinda confused by this but someone else said its pretty normal? Maybe the charger is too small at 7A?? Btw, these are 6 Group 31's and the Kinetik HC3800 all connected together. The Kinetik is about 3 to 4 years old and the others are all less than 9 months old...

Maybe I should charge each battery and load test them seperately? (I have access to a 500A load tester)....

it definitely wouldn't hurt to test the kinetik. it's getting near that time where it's getting old. (mine lasted 4 years i think). The rest should be fine. (talking about load test)

as for the charger, doesn't matter what size. I mean, there are some people on here with 2A chargers. Just takes longer, that's all.

As for the voltage, I'd imagine that's fine. Cause not having your alt on. it's running on just the batts. But I'm no expert, wait til someone more experienced chimes in or try to search forum (not that you haven't but TONS of info on this site that sometimes is hidden) for that answer...

Sheena = pedobear

Archived