Do I have a bad battery somewhere?

If you read online about how to see if your battery is bad... they always talk about getting rid of the "resting charge" or some shit... where you turn off your car and leave the headlights on for like 10-15 mins. It takes all the power from the battery that is just resting or something and then when you test it, it's reading what the battery has stored. (don't know all the technical shit, i'm tired, leave me alone. just google "how to test battery to see if it's bad" or something similar).

in my mind, I think of it like... filling up a pop at fast food. you pour the pop into the cup (alt/charger charging the batts) and the fizz is that resting charge. well, use the headlights or whatnot for few mins to get rid of the "fizz" and you're left with what the battery actually contains. Again, tired, not sure of all the technical terms, but there ya go

Sheena = pedobear

What does the voltage drop to with the car off overnight? And I mean OFF OFF. Not just radio-on

Try putting a GOOD agm style battery charger on them when the vehicle is parked and not in use. With a battery bank that large, they do need to be topped off whenever you have time.

If the overall resting voltage does not improve, the batteries might be getting old / sulfated, or you could have a bad one in the bank. Properly charged AGM batteries that are in good condition should rest about 12.9 - 13.1 volts @ 77 degrees F.

What does the voltage drop to with the car off overnight? And I mean OFF OFF. Not just radio-on

Well I just got back from a 400 mile highway drive so I will check in the morning what it rests at. However, I do have an aftermarket alarm installed and the temp is currently around 25F...

Try putting a GOOD agm style battery charger on them when the vehicle is parked and not in use. With a battery bank that large, they do need to be topped off whenever you have time.

If the overall resting voltage does not improve, the batteries might be getting old / sulfated, or you could have a bad one in the bank. Properly charged AGM batteries that are in good condition should rest about 12.9 - 13.1 volts @ 77 degrees F.

Mechman, do you think the CTEK7002 is not good enough for my battery setup? I did notice that when hook it up to the batteries, it takes about 8 to 10 hours at MOST to shut off and say they are fully charged...

It sounds like those batteries might be slightly tired. 12.5 isn't terrible in cold weather, but it's not great either. You might also want to check for parasitic drains on it, lowering the battery voltage overnight.

Archived