Second Skin Audio

New car, New box. Time to do it right.

BassinBob

Hello everyone,

This is my first post here, or on any forum on the interwebz. Thank you all in advance for any help you can provide.

So my old focus hatchback decided to kick the bucket and I purchased a 2012 chrysler 200. Not my first choice of bass car but its nice and they were the only dealership in the Ann Arbor MI are that could get me a reasonable loan.

I have 1 Sundown Z v.3 18 that i would love to try to cram in the trunk, i built the box for it that was in my focus but it will not fit in the chrysler so im looking for advice on how to make the proper choices for port size and what not.

I do not plan to compete, i like it loud but clear also. Im not a strick audiophile but i can tell whats good and not. I love the lows, feeling the music is the best part but i listen to all sorts of music not just rap so id like to be able to have a bit of range.

The trunk has a max height of 14.5 inches (that includes space for the woofer to move), 38" wide at the smallest point and id like to keep it to a max length of 30ish". I obviously dont care about having any trunk space left, thats why we have back seats right?

For the time being ill be using my orion hcca 10 in the spec ported box that i paid wayyy to much to have the local shop build a few years ago.

Power is a Hifonics Brutus brx 1600, kinetik hc 2000, knukoncepts ofc 1 awg, stock alt, new front batt soon and big 3 soon, there is only the stock crap in the car right now. And i know the amp isnt amazing but it gets the job done.

So after the longwindedness you just endured what would yall say is a good port option? 6 to 7 cube box, i know the rule of thumb is 12 to 16 in sqd per foot cubd, id like to be around 32 33 hz. I was think an internal height of about 11", sub mounted up to a single baffle with a second overtop to make it flush and add strength and some 2x4 braces around the cutout. Single baffle everywhere else. My last box i messed up on calculations (first time) and ended up tuned way high but it sounded pretty good, got loud and still played down into the 20s. It is 1.5 inch mdf all around, resind the inside, 45d the corners, bedlined the outside, it weighs more than my gf with a purse full of rocks. Id like to go birch and stain it this time

Thank you all again, im open to any and all suggestions. I can post pics too if anyone wants. As an fyi i have no comp to use any box building software since my macbook pro was stolen a year and a half ago so im all website calcs and paper.

Yes, i am aware that its really not the best way to do it but i dont have to money to get new speakers after taking on a monthly car payment, funds are limited. I also love that speaker.

If someone wanted to trade some SA 12s id be willing.

Thank you

Im really looking for advice on port size.

In this instance, with an 18 in a big trunk box what is a good port dimension. 10x 11 gets the sq inches where it "should" be by that rule of thumb you see spoken about all over the forum.

What happens when you have smaller or larger ports tuned to the same frequency in the same box?

That sub only needs 4 cubes ported, so there is no need to run 6-7 cubes to it. 80-100" of port is what I'd suggest, bit not in an upward firing trunk orientation. I never ever suggest big subs firing up in a trunk. It will rattle and you said you like clean sound, that setup won't be clean.

Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.

If it's anything how I had my old box in my escalade ext subs firing toward the tonu cover or even trunk it'll sound bad there will be lots of Rattle you won't like it. I redid my box to subs firing forward onto the cabin and it's MUCH BETTER get smaller subs man and you'll be more than happy

That's why they don't deliver.

Yer ass better go sit along the side of the road and wait.

You can't expect them to travel up some dirt road in a hick / back woods town. Thats how horror movies start :D

I explain things very simply and use analogies in terms of Pickles, and grape drink, pool noodles and jackhammers...if you can't put 2 and 2 together there man, There simply is not much more I can do.

get another 18 and wall it?

other than that why not build a box and take it on the rear seats..and bolt it down....for temporary solution

2010 Chevrolet Cruze

Radio --- pioneer mvh-200vbt

Front/back --- alpine type s 6.5"

Sub Control --- Pac LC1

Sub Amp --- GZPA 1.4K

Sub --- GZNW 15XSPL D1

Battery - GZBP 12.2500X

Archived