Clamping Method vs SMD AD-1 Amp Dyno vs. SMD AMM-1 Audio Multimeter

thank you cj18, that's what I was trying to explain with my last post but you said it much better.

in short what im seeing is that with out the proper equipment (which gets expensive just for a good scope) you cant get an accurate results from the clamping that most people do. it can be a more accurate test with the right tools at hand and more work but for the money the amm1 is a steal.

all the scopes ive seen run around $300-400 for a nice one. don't forget the dmm and getting a test bench together to put a reactive load on the amp to get a true rms reading at a given load.

You are looking at about $5000 worth of testing equipment sitting on my make shift bench. I have the tools to do the job correctly, most people dont.

The AMM1 now provides an affordable solution that.

That's what i'm trying to say, with cost difference between the tools needed to get an accurate test the amm1 is a hands down winner.

Yes clamping with the right tools can give you More accurate result but still not 100% and not as cost effective. Let's face it us audio guys are always looking for a good way to save money while still getting the install done right. The amm1 helps do that plus some with ease and accuracy.

Sorry if anyone feels like i'm baking clamping, not trying to. It's the way of the past and inaccurate compared to the amm1. For a cost effective tool the amm1 is a steal.

Unless the amm1 is cheaper than 250 bucks then it's actually not the better deal. But if you honestly need something that can measure taking into account for the power factor then I guess spend the extra money. 99% of people don't do it and so the industry standard is basically clamping for voltamps.

And VA isnt watts.

• Like (+1 Rep) 1

The video is staying up. I will make sure to really hurt the clampers feelings when I test the AMM1 vs Clamping using a Subwoofer.

Point of this.

AMM1 very simple.

Clamping- To find the exact point, you have to video it and then go back to watch that video to try and find the point just before clipping. Pain in the ass.

It's honestly not hard... sigh. You better be getting kickbacks from amm1 sales. (or be selling them yourself) otherwise you are going to all this trouble for nothing.

Edited by SINTORMAN

thank you cj18, that's what I was trying to explain with my last post but you said it much better.

in short what im seeing is that with out the proper equipment (which gets expensive just for a good scope) you cant get an accurate results from the clamping that most people do. it can be a more accurate test with the right tools at hand and more work but for the money the amm1 is a steal.

all the scopes ive seen run around $300-400 for a nice one. don't forget the dmm and getting a test bench together to put a reactive load on the amp to get a true rms reading at a given load.

You are looking at about $5000 worth of testing equipment sitting on my make shift bench. I have the tools to do the job correctly, most people dont.

That's what i'm trying to say, with cost difference between the tools needed to get an accurate test the amm1 is a hands down winner.

Yes clamping with the right tools can give you More accurate result but still not 100% and not as cost effective. Let's face it us audio guys are always looking for a good way to save money while still getting the install done right. The amm1 helps do that plus some with ease and accuracy.

Sorry if anyone feels like i'm baking clamping, not trying to. It's the way of the past and inaccurate compared to the amm1. For a cost effective tool the amm1 is a steal.

Unless the amm1 is cheaper than 250 bucks then it's actually not the better deal. But if you honestly need something that can measure taking into account for the power factor then I guess spend the extra money. 99% of people don't do it and so the industry standard is basically clamping for voltamps.
An accurate clamp meter is 400 plus. Not to mention dmm and scope.

Amm1 is 460. Find an accurate clamp dmm, and scope for under that price. The clamp he used in the vid is over 600 alone.

Edited by alaskanzx5

t1500bdcp

2 t2d4 15"

1 t600.4

1 t400.2

1 set p1 tweets

singer alt, tons of wiring, smd vm-1, 80prs, back seat delete, still in the works, aiming for a 145-147 with the ability to play 25hz up to 50hz.

If the Fluke meters are used with an purely resistive load (99% of people do not have this), and you can guarantee that NO CLIPPING occurs then the AMM-1 and clamps should agree. So you need a True RMS Voltmeter, a True RMS clamp meter, an oscilloscope, and a non-inductive load bank. So basically an Amp Dyno. Add a zero to the end of that $250

If the Fluke meters are used with an purely resistive load (99% of people do not have this), and you can guarantee that NO CLIPPING occurs then the AMM-1 and clamps should agree. So you need a True RMS Voltmeter, a True RMS clamp meter, an oscilloscope, and a non-inductive load bank. So basically an Amp Dyno. Add a zero to the end of that $250

Thanks Tony, the price for an accurate clasp test is a lot higher then people think. That price is much more the the amm1 and the amm1 is an all around helpful tool for car audio at a small% of the price for an accurate clamp test bench

• Like (+1 Rep) 1

t1500bdcp

2 t2d4 15"

1 t600.4

1 t400.2

1 set p1 tweets

singer alt, tons of wiring, smd vm-1, 80prs, back seat delete, still in the works, aiming for a 145-147 with the ability to play 25hz up to 50hz.

No matter what tool you come up with Tony, there's always haters that smater than u

• Like (+1 Rep) 3

i love this sh--t man 1966 Ford Fairlane Pioneer prs 80, the big three, with 2 big azz agm batts, dual 270/200 amp alts , two 8'' mids and tweets in the kick( PPI phantom 600.2). two 10''s and tweets in the doors, two 10'' mids and tweets in the rear decK ( Lanar opti 500x2). 2 C2 Audio Threatcon 4 12s on a Crunch GP3000d. No crossover .

not going to take sides cause i don't really give a shit. I am enjoying the debate and seeing all the experts and "experts" chiming in. Please continue.

:popcorn:

• Like (+1 Rep) 4