Clamping Method vs SMD AD-1 Amp Dyno vs. SMD AMM-1 Audio Multimeter

not going to take sides cause i don't really give a shit. I am enjoying the debate and seeing all the experts and "experts" chiming in. Please continue.

:popcorn:

No matter what tool you come up with Tony, there's always haters that smater than u

You should be listening to what I'm saying.. I could save you a lot of money. But nah you should just listen to the mfg for the dyno and amm1.. he's not biased at all. ROFL.

Tony props to you. Laughing all the way to the bank.

Look here im a grown ass man, i don't have to listen to you. who the hell are you. How many tools have you brought to the market. You also don't have to worry about saving me any money. I worked for my money and i will spend it the way i see fit.. Plain and simple get a name for your self first, then maybe we would start listening to you. I would listen to an engineer before i listen to a nobody.

Damn!

Man...this thread...

Let's sum it up, AMM-1 is not the only way you can get reasonably accurate power results. Using a scope with true rms clamps and meters will get you there. That being said, the AMM-1 takes alot of the work and math out of it for those who could not do it otherwise. It's a tool, like any other tools, there is always another way. If you use a jig saw to make your sub cut outs why buy a router and circle jig? Because it is easier to get good results. But that doesn't mean the guy who uses the jig saw is suddenly doing it wrong. The same logic can be applied to this situation.

Clamping with the right tools and knowhow will give you accurate results. Im sure this is why Taylor and that sinterman dude as well as myself are frustrated after reading through here and watching the vid, since it is suggesting that clamping will never be accurate which is really not the case. I think the AMM-1 is an awesome tool but it's just kinda shitty to start misleading the general audio community for a marketing campaign...intentional or not, it's happening

• Like (+1 Rep) 8

Team NorthWestSPL

Velleman HPS140I 99$

Craftsmen clamp meter 72$

Fluke 113 true rms meter 116$

Sorry just under 300$ and you can clamp your amps power for efficiency as well as many other tasks you can do with these three items vs the AMM1.

See now this to me is where it gets interesting. Now since you are posting a cheaper alternative people have choices. From the clamp tests I've seen people do it's a dmm and clamp, this is my first time seeing a scope or true rms meter for such a low price. Still comes into factor of how well the user can see clipping on the scope.

It would be nice to see a comparison of equipment like what sintorman posted and the amm1.

Take a look at that scope and tell me you think it will be accurate.

http://www.electricstuff.co.uk/velleman_hps140.html

Everything has its place and if they are used right the results will be true, but if you use cheap equipment or use it in the wrong way you will get inaccurate results.

It's only cheap because it uses 1 channel and can't measure high frequencies.. something that doesn't apply in the car audio industry. It's a damn good scope for the money.

not going to take sides cause i don't really give a shit. I am enjoying the debate and seeing all the experts and "experts" chiming in. Please continue.

:popcorn:

No matter what tool you come up with Tony, there's always haters that smater than u

You should be listening to what I'm saying.. I could save you a lot of money. But nah you should just listen to the mfg for the dyno and amm1.. he's not biased at all. ROFL.

Tony props to you. Laughing all the way to the bank.

Look here im a grown ass man, i don't have to listen to you. who the hell are you. How many tools have you brought to the market. You also don't have to worry about saving me any money. I worked for my money and i will spend it the way i see fit.. Plain and simple get a name for your self first, then maybe we would start listening to you. I would listen to an engineer before i listen to a nobody.

Just because you don't know who I am doesn't mean you can't use common sense. Typical CA guy here. Oh man if he's not hitting a 160 then he's just an idiot. You are what's wrong with the industry. You rely on people to get your answers without using your damn head and actually learning why things happen the way they do etc..

• Like (+1 Rep) 1

I'm not against the amm1.. Seems like a neat tool.

However I am against people making videos misusing equipment and praising the equipment that was used properly. It's just low.

No the truth is you're against anything with the SMD name. You have stated and proved this MANY times over, I do find it funny you're here though. How was any equipment misused? Or do you need your electrical engineering friends to fight the argument for you as well?

Tell me...does this smell like chloroform to you?

I like the way you think sintorman, I just think the way you express yourself might get you banned here. I totally agree with mrd6 though. There was a flaw in this test that was easy to overlook, but now that its been brought to the attention of everybody I don't see why you can't just redo the test. Its not that the amm-1 or amp dyno is worse because of a redo. If anything it will prove they work consistently. But I would just be weary seeing a salesman keep up an advertisement that he knows is false and slandering his competition.

• Like (+1 Rep) 3

I've gotten a blowjob and picked up my iphone behind her back to see what email notification I got from smd before

Man...this thread...

Let's sum it up, AMM-1 is not the only way you can get reasonably accurate power results. Using a scope with true rms clamps and meters will get you there. That being said, the AMM-1 takes alot of the work and math out of it for those who could not do it otherwise. It's a tool, like any other tools, there is always another way. If you use a jig saw to make your sub cut outs why buy a router and circle jig? Because it is easier to get good results. But that doesn't mean the guy who uses the jig saw is suddenly doing it wrong. The same logic can be applied to this situation.

Clamping with the right tools and knowhow will give you accurate results. Im sure this is why Taylor and that sinterman dude as well as myself are frustrated after reading through here and watching the vid, since it is suggesting that clamping will never be accurate which is really not the case. I think the AMM-1 is an awesome tool but it's just kinda shitty to start misleading the general audio community for a marketing campaign...intentional or not, it's happening

The reason it's misleading is that it's not utilizing the reason clamping is flawed- reactive loads (like subs). Unless you believe that very nice scope-meter is off by almost 20v. You actually don't even *need* the clamp meter in this clamp because it's on fixed resistance.

The other thing is that this isn't the best way to show how the AMM-1 is better and easier than traditonal clamping. Take a look at my test rig...

3C99BD2B-8DA7-47CA-A232-F64788ECEEF0-190

That's a lot of f'n shit to watch. The AMM-1 "watches" it all for you and spits out the number you're after with all of that crap. For "clamping" and doing it the most accurate way that you can, the AMM-1 is a no brainer.

For hardcore amp testing... it can be done cheaper than the AD-1 with very accurate and consistent results. But that's another thread entirely.

My whole point of chiming in on this vid is that the AMM-1 basically sells itself. You don't *need* to have a BS demonstration like this to mislead people. Do the test on subs with clamping vs. the AMM-1. That's the point. It's a great way to show how the AMM-1 is spot on with the AD-1 (awesome), but the clamp portion is flawed and misleading.

All I'm suggesting is to redo the video. If you want to discredit clamping, at least do it correctly.

• Like (+1 Rep) 4

In before it gets closed.... Well I like the AMM-1 as it does more than just test the real power your subwoofer is seeing which is going to be different than what the dyno says. I think Tony's demo vid he did about the AMM-1 is very informative and just focuses on the fact that any DYI audio person can use it for many different things.

This thread is getting out of hand IMO. But hey it is fun to read.

• Like (+1 Rep) 1

80prs

Arc Audio Xdi 1200.6 (using active crossovers) Freaking awesome amplifier

Incriminator IA 10.1

Focal PS 130v 5.25 (doors)

4" Faital pro Neo (kick panels) 

3" Faital pro Neo and focal tweets( dash)

DC Audio level 3 12"  custom box designed by joex built by me

AGM front, XS 750SE batteries rear

DC 180 alt

99 Toyota Tacoma extra cab

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/179476-my-small-build-turned-into-the-ongoing-build/

I like the way you think sintorman, I just think the way you express yourself might get you banned here. I totally agree with mrd6 though. There was a flaw in this test that was easy to overlook, but now that its been brought to the attention of everybody I don't see why you can't just redo the test. Its not that the amm-1 or amp dyno is worse because of a redo. If anything it will prove they work consistently. But I would just be weary seeing a salesman keep up an advertisement that he knows is false and slandering his competition.

I only have an account on here to look at the classifieds occasionally. Really don't care if I'm banned. Caco is my home.

I'm not against the amm1.. Seems like a neat tool.

However I am against people making videos misusing equipment and praising the equipment that was used properly. It's just low.

No the truth is you're against anything with the SMD name. You have stated and proved this MANY times over, I do find it funny you're here though. How was any equipment misused? Or do you need your electrical engineering friends to fight the argument for you as well?

You again. I thought I blocked you. rofl. If you can't see why this test is flawed you are a moron.

Load banks can also be made cheap with voicecoil wire and bifilar winding submerged in concrete... That's like 50 bucks tops.

Have fun spending thousands on tools when a little know how can save you a lot of money.

You should manufacture and sell your bucket-o-concrete meter. Sounds profitable. The shipping costs might suck though.

I remember when we stared 3 years ago, someone told us "I could build a DD-1 with $10 of parts from Radio Shack". I'm still waiting to see it. :)

• Like (+1 Rep) 4