Clamping Method vs SMD AD-1 Amp Dyno vs. SMD AMM-1 Audio Multimeter

Ask and ye shall receive. Stole these from Tony on FB.

THIS is what I'm talking about.

This is a comparision of "traditional" clamping on the left and right and the AMM-1 in the center ON A REACTIVE LOAD (subs).

This is 34v and 6.2a. Traditionally we would do the math and come up with 211w rising to 5.5ohms. You can see the AMM-1 will tell you that too (if you want to know).

2FB2A24F-9F12-4976-960F-6C898421D993-631

NOW.... here is where the AMM-1 shines. You don't need fixed resistance or a dual input trillion dollar scope. The AMM-1 is calculating it all for you!

CF8F43B9-3BF8-4B5E-8153-D6F0C95A0094-631

Bingo. Clamping pwned.

• Like (+1 Rep) 2

I think the vid is being seen in the wing way, it's not that they are saying clamping is flawed. It's the typical way it's done that is flawed. Using just a dmm and clamp meter won't get the true rms results. That's the clamp method I see more often the not. I've seen maybe 2 vids where people used a scope.

I see this video as a comparison between a cheap in accurate way to clamp vs a tool that has proven accurate results.

Also i'm I wrong to think that a scope that can't measure higher freq (tweets and higher mid range freq in particular) isn't a good choice? If I want to measure out put of an amp I would like to see the output of each amp for every speaker in my system and not just the sub amp. It would be nice to know actual rms going to the other speakers. If you can't use the scope for those tests you can't accurately measure for those speakers.

Edited by alaskanzx5

t1500bdcp

2 t2d4 15"

1 t600.4

1 t400.2

1 set p1 tweets

singer alt, tons of wiring, smd vm-1, 80prs, back seat delete, still in the works, aiming for a 145-147 with the ability to play 25hz up to 50hz.

so I can buy all those tools and a concrete bucket or 1 single tool?

geez, tough choice. but I do see that guys point, this isn't the only tool that works. But, I will let him use the concrete bucket...

• Like (+1 Rep) 4

F150:

Stock :(

2019 Harley Road Glide:

Amp: TM400Xad - 4 channel 400 watt

Processor: DSR1

Fairing (Front) 6.5s -MMats PA601cx

Lid (Rear) 6x9s -  TMS69

geez, tough choice. but I do see that guys point, this isn't the only tool that works. But, I will let him use the concrete bucket...

I understand what he is saying as well, just giving him a hard time. Jokes aside, even if that setup worked, you would then know how many VA your amplifier can put out into a bucket of concrete. Still wouldn't tell you how many Watts your amplifier puts into your SPEAKERS

• Like (+1 Rep) 2

Tony said bucket.. I didn't. And you are jealous of my bucket

Do we have anyone art-sy in here? I'd love to see a sketch of a guy dynoing an amplifier with a bucket of concrete with a pos scope, a voltmeter, a clamp meter, and a calculator attached to it.

Very professional man. I love when I see company owners in the thick of it making themselves look bad.

I think the vid is being seen in the wing way, it's not that they are saying clamping is flawed. It's the typical way it's done that is flawed. Using just a dmm and clamp meter won't get the true rms results. That's the clamp method I see more often the not. I've seen maybe 2 vids where people used a scope.

I see this video as a comparison between a cheap in accurate way to clamp vs a tool that has proven accurate results.

Also i'm I wrong to think that a scope that can't measure higher freq (tweets and higher mid range freq in particular) isn't a good choice? If I want to measure out put of an amp I would like to see the output of each amp for every speaker in my system and not just the sub amp. It would be nice to know actual rms going to the other speakers. If you can't use the scope for those tests you can't accurately measure for those speakers.

By high frequency I meant in the mhz... It can go to 20khz just fine. Since that is what most scopes are used for....

Ic. Didn't see anything on the score that.said freq range. Them again, I don't know much about them.

I'm still on board with the amm1. I mean like you said with the tools you listed, and a resistive load bank that 350 plus shipping cost if each part so i'm sure s could agree at $400 after shipping and everything. For $60 more plus shipping I can get the amm1 fir a much quicker more portable tool. I think the $60 is worth the convenience and accuracy of the tool. we all know there are always.discounts that they do on these tools to make the price that much better for us smd members.

t1500bdcp

2 t2d4 15"

1 t600.4

1 t400.2

1 set p1 tweets

singer alt, tons of wiring, smd vm-1, 80prs, back seat delete, still in the works, aiming for a 145-147 with the ability to play 25hz up to 50hz.

I understand what he is saying as well, just giving him a hard time. Jokes aside, even if that setup worked, you would then know how many VA your amplifier can put out into a bucket of concrete. Still wouldn't tell you how many Watts your amplifier puts into your SPEAKERS

You should post the vid of you showing what the AMM-1 can do. That might clear up some things.

• Like (+1 Rep) 1

80prs

Arc Audio Xdi 1200.6 (using active crossovers) Freaking awesome amplifier

Incriminator IA 10.1

Focal PS 130v 5.25 (doors)

4" Faital pro Neo (kick panels) 

3" Faital pro Neo and focal tweets( dash)

DC Audio level 3 12"  custom box designed by joex built by me

AGM front, XS 750SE batteries rear

DC 180 alt

99 Toyota Tacoma extra cab

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/179476-my-small-build-turned-into-the-ongoing-build/

Velleman HPS140I 99$

Craftsmen clamp meter 72$

Fluke 113 true rms meter 116$

Sorry just under 300$ and you can clamp your amps power for efficiency as well as many other tasks you can do with these three items vs the AMM1.

even if its true.. 3 tools vs 1 tool.. i will take the one tool that can do it all

Edited by Miguels

You again. I thought I blocked you. rofl. If you can't see why this test is flawed you are a moron.

This is SMD, not CACO.

And no. The only thing you do continually is prove the only moron here is you. You stated the equipment was misused, which you failed to answer.

Now you're saying the test was flawed. There are a couple points you can take from this test and depending how you look this test is NOT flawed. Surprisingly since your tune is changed, not so anti SMD right now...makes sense with the bandwagon mentality from someone who couldn't get loud if his life depended on it.

Reading what someone else says is NOT intelligence. Care to provide some insight into the actual clamp method? Care to repeat your senseless ramblings? Care to provide your own factual information? God you're a fool

Tell me...does this smell like chloroform to you?