Second Skin Audio

Hi guys, me again. Remember the DB Drive PLT12D? well, it locked up completely. I can barely move the cone (maybe an eighth of an inch of give) when I push down or up on it. When I hook it up, it will still make sound, but it won't move at all. What's the deal? Is there any way I can fix that? I really don't want to just trash it, it's an awesome sub. I also live in the middle of nowhere. I don't want to recone it, because the surround is sewn on and I don't want to replace that with just some generic surround. Help please? Thanks! (surround looks like this: <a data-ipb="nomediaparse" data-cke-saved-href="http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j121/tarponcowboy/DSCF2449.jpg)%C2%A0and%20I%20don" href="http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j121/tarponcowboy/DSCF2449.jpg)%C2%A0and%20I%20don" t%20want%20to%20replace%20that%20with%20a%20generic%20surround.%20help%20please?%20thanks!"="">http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j121/tarponcowboy/DSCF2449.jpg)

- 1971 C/10 - 250 I/6, NP435, manual everything, old farm truck, single family owned. Massive Summo 6.5" in .93 cubes sealed, on 300~ watts. 

- 1995 Ram 2500 - 12-Valve Cummins, ATS Stage 4 auto; timing advanced, fuel plate and injectors, 4" turbo-back; Pioneer DEH-X6700BT HU, looking at a T-line for two Summo 6.5s on 750~

- 1949 Crosley rat rod project - '49 station wagon body on a '89 Dodge D350 chassis, shortened three feet and bagged w/ triangulated four link under the rear; 1974 Caddy 472 C.I. V8 powerplant, ST400 trans from a '67 Buick Wildcat. All work done by yours truly.

Well in the best way i can say this..... Your sub is dead. Sound like eather you bottemed it out or the coil came appart. Eather way its ducked. You can try calling db and see if they sell a recone for it. If they done call psi they make a recone for it. If you still dont want to do that trash it and buy a nee sub.

Now to make this post a bit longer lol.

Before you hook up any sub back up you should do some digging in to why the sub failed like it did. Take a look at your gain, bass boost, settings on your deck. Also what amp did you push with it because you may have been over powering it like a bitch or just clipping it to no end thus caused it to DIE. This should be the first thing you do imo

2012 Chevy sonic1xSQ HDC3 12 D2RF R1200d

140 square foot of Q-Mat(soon to be installed)

140.2Db sealed on the dash with TL

142 DB sealed on the dash with another meter (was dead on with the TL at a show i was at)

141 on music.

strangeduck,on 02 Jan 2014 - 01:39 AM, said:

when my car spins out i just put the car in neutral, turn in the direction i want to go and pucker my asshole

Jarrius,

Thanks. I didn't know PSI made a recone kit for it. I'll have to look into that. Also, I only had it on a 500-watt Bazooka amp. TBH I'm a newb to car audio to a certain extent, does pushing a 1500-watt sub with a 500-watt amp make it clip?

- 1971 C/10 - 250 I/6, NP435, manual everything, old farm truck, single family owned. Massive Summo 6.5" in .93 cubes sealed, on 300~ watts. 

- 1995 Ram 2500 - 12-Valve Cummins, ATS Stage 4 auto; timing advanced, fuel plate and injectors, 4" turbo-back; Pioneer DEH-X6700BT HU, looking at a T-line for two Summo 6.5s on 750~

- 1949 Crosley rat rod project - '49 station wagon body on a '89 Dodge D350 chassis, shortened three feet and bagged w/ triangulated four link under the rear; 1974 Caddy 472 C.I. V8 powerplant, ST400 trans from a '67 Buick Wildcat. All work done by yours truly.

Jarrius,

Thanks. I didn't know PSI made a recone kit for it. I'll have to look into that. Also, I only had it on a 500-watt Bazooka amp. TBH I'm a newb to car audio to a certain extent, does pushing a 1500-watt sub with a 500-watt amp make it clip?

no

skar sk2500.1
0 gauge power and ground kunukonceptz
alpine HU
vxi65 components on BA gt-275
new build log -> http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/150642-project-d-kon-deathcards-build-log/#entry2148821
2 x-15 sundowns

singer alt, odyssey bat, and maxwell ultra caps

Jarrius,

no

Way to answer his question. OP do some reading on here about setting gains. Setting your gain incorrectly results in clipping. Setting your gain correctly starts at the head unit. Where are you located... some members on here, including me have a DD1 and can help set your gains correctly. Also some have CC1's too so they can help with correct crossover settings and gain matching also.

MY BUILD *****http://tinyurl.com/gmcbuild*****

Vehicles

2005 GMC Canyon

CB1000r - Currently where any future funds are going. (exhasut,bazzaz, ohlins shock, screen, etc.)

crf250r - Used to be race bike..now I just trail ride..practice at the track on it.

CH80 - Daily beater (when nice weather)best 150$ ever spent. 100+mpg

Sold to:

Skullz - pstone11 - Leo1103 - Volvo 63' - pavelpardo - imnew59585

Shower farts still piss me off.

I think theyre pretty neat. When the water runs down your crack as you let one out... its like shitting in a crockpot.

Jarrius,

They may make one for it. It will not say db on it or look the same as it does but it will be better then new i bet you.

Also no 500w rms on a 1500w rms sub does not cause clipping or distortion. What causes those is a dirty single going from the amp to the sub due to settings on the headunit and how you have the amp set up itself. Also thr amp you have i can bet is only doing may be 250w rms and probly still a bad single because its such a cheap amp.

Imo you should throw away that amp and get a decent one. Yes it will cost a bit more but you will here a difference In how good it sounds and how loud it can be. Do some more reading on the forum and done be afraid to ask questions

2012 Chevy sonic1xSQ HDC3 12 D2RF R1200d

140 square foot of Q-Mat(soon to be installed)

140.2Db sealed on the dash with TL

142 DB sealed on the dash with another meter (was dead on with the TL at a show i was at)

141 on music.

strangeduck,on 02 Jan 2014 - 01:39 AM, said:

when my car spins out i just put the car in neutral, turn in the direction i want to go and pucker my asshole

Jarrius,

The amplifier clips not the sub, the sub is rated only 750 W RMS and the amp 500 RMS so the difference is not as ample as you think, besides is an older lower quality sub so it is likely in range to get damage from amp clipping.

OP if you like playing it really loud skip the recone and get decent sub and set your gains properly, make sure your wiring is well done and see if your electrical system is in good condition, if when playing the voltage drops below 13V at the amp's input terminals you are not good.

Recone to this! 2-15" plat custom built by psi

F2C405F5-3983-4199-9793-E427D43621CA_zps

01 focus se

110 amp alt

Big 3 sky high and stinger hpm ofc 1/0

Super start platinum AGM (starting)

2 runs of 1/0 Execution audio front to back

Kenwood double DIN DDx271

A pillars- orion 4" super tweeter and 2-1" alpines.

Orion xtx 64 in the front doors

2:1 4th order bandpass

Sealed off trunk

Digital designs deadener on roof/ rear deck

Orion hcca 12s (black coils)

Orion xtr3700.1

Orion xtr250.2 mid/highs

All sky high 1/0 in trunk dual runs(power/ground)

Sky high dual 1/0 inputs

2 xs power D3100 in back

Sky high batt blocks

Rose audio batt blocks

Stinger volt meter

All sky high 1\0 fuse and holders

Db link remote/ rca

alum flat wound coil 3k rms quad spiders doubble leads 70# motors CF dustcap

. Hand built by the owner of psi

01 focus se

110 amp alt

Sealed off trunk

Orion xtr3700.1

Orion xtr250.2 mid/highs

Sky high dual 1/0 inputs

2 xs power D3100 in back

Sky high batt blocks

Rose audio batt blocks

Stinger volt meter

Db link remote/ rca

^^^^sealed box doing 50s

01 focus se

110 amp alt

Sealed off trunk

Orion xtr3700.1

Orion xtr250.2 mid/highs

Sky high dual 1/0 inputs

2 xs power D3100 in back

Sky high batt blocks

Rose audio batt blocks

Stinger volt meter

Db link remote/ rca

Archived