Sundown Audio

(questions answered, mods can lock if they want) voicecoil damage question

I was just working on the final fitment/placement for the basket spacing on the neo woofer when I dropped the voice coil I ordered from you. It fell right onto the basket/motor and got a pretty nice ding in the former and scratched the coils a bit, it also bent the bottom most winding of the coil, and scraped a small bit of the anodized layer off the former.

I have these pictures, based on the already tight gap fitment, would you recommend getting another coil?

007_zps07e0495c.jpg

008_zpse181b90c.jpg

009_zps108f1120.jpg

010_zpsd62d7d4a.jpg

Edited by Dwn4BassAlan

Biomedical/Behavioral Science Major, The (Self-Proclaimed) Undisputed-Homemade-Woofer-King

Super-Neodymium-Woofer Build Log: The D4BA-V.2 http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/169236-diy-super-neodymium-woofer-build-log/?p=2475620

Fucking love Alan you goddamned fucking super nerd lol

When Alan uses big words I don't understand

It's warming up enough that the donut-punching cyclist douchenozzles are getting their two wheeled fagmobiles out.

Everytime I see a guy driving a mini cooper I cant help but think he loves cock & (2/29/16)-My wife just bitched at me about throwing out things we don't really use. My response of well we don't really use your vagina so should we throw that out was evidently not the right response. I had to leave the room.

I missed Alan.

RIP 5/29/15 - I love you son.

Hmm thats interesting. I wanna think it might be ok, but wouldnt be surprised if it wasnt.

If youd have to order a new kit anyway, glue it and hope for the best.

Be interesting to see if someone says for sure if thats ok.. kinda a big ding :/

Setup:

2010 Hyundai Elantra

Factory Unit via 4 chan NVX LOC

Excessive Amperage "H/O" Alt

Xs D3400/ Xs XP3000

Big 3. 2 Runs of +, 2 Runs of -

DD M3b and 2 12" AQ HDC4s

Well wouldn't hurt to try and tap it out gently

Not a terrible suggestion.. hmm

Setup:

2010 Hyundai Elantra

Factory Unit via 4 chan NVX LOC

Excessive Amperage "H/O" Alt

Xs D3400/ Xs XP3000

Big 3. 2 Runs of +, 2 Runs of -

DD M3b and 2 12" AQ HDC4s

Doesn't that sub have a stupid tight gas as it is?

Yeah that's what I was basically getting at.

Biomedical/Behavioral Science Major, The (Self-Proclaimed) Undisputed-Homemade-Woofer-King

Super-Neodymium-Woofer Build Log: The D4BA-V.2 http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/169236-diy-super-neodymium-woofer-build-log/?p=2475620

It's warming up enough that the donut-punching cyclist douchenozzles are getting their two wheeled fagmobiles out.

Everytime I see a guy driving a mini cooper I cant help but think he loves cock & (2/29/16)-My wife just bitched at me about throwing out things we don't really use. My response of well we don't really use your vagina so should we throw that out was evidently not the right response. I had to leave the room.

I missed Alan.

If you're really careful about tapping it back out you might be ok..

I have fixed a couple (not my fault lol!) using pliers with fabric wrapped around the teeth to keep from scratching stuff and a steel pipe (also fabric covered) to roll the inside on to adjust the curve a little if needed.

MickyMcD - "Capable of making some serious trouser flapping volumes at where's-my-testicles frequencies, the Servo-Drives used to be fairly jaw dropping..."

Any time you have have a power wire next to your frame put some rubber hosing (or cut up an innertube) around it. The wire is bound to wiggle (due to driving or flex) and the casing will eventually wear through.

Hammerdown... 1%

no links to outside websites, business related FB/YT pages allowed.

If you're really careful about tapping it back out you might be ok..

I have fixed a couple (not my fault lol!) using pliers with fabric wrapped around the teeth to keep from scratching stuff and a steel pipe (also fabric covered) to roll the inside on to adjust the curve a little if needed.

Yeah that's what I was thinking would work best, but I'm not sure how I'm going to be able to unbend/undent the bottom coil winding, since I can't get anything behind it without completely screwing the coil.

But I've never dealt with coil damage before or know much about it. How adversely can the scratches on the coil, the dent in the bottom of the coil, and the scratches and chipped anodized layer of the former affect the performance or electrical behavior? Am I going to have increased inductance? Could there be a problem (electrical or thermal) with the glue that was scratched off the coils, even if it's only a little bit?

I missed Alan.

Try to fix it. If iys screwed it won't hurt. Glue it up..if there's no rub then I would think you should be good

MY BUILD *****http://tinyurl.com/gmcbuild*****

Vehicles

2005 GMC Canyon

CB1000r - Currently where any future funds are going. (exhasut,bazzaz, ohlins shock, screen, etc.)

crf250r - Used to be race bike..now I just trail ride..practice at the track on it.

CH80 - Daily beater (when nice weather)best 150$ ever spent. 100+mpg

Sold to:

Skullz - pstone11 - Leo1103 - Volvo 63' - pavelpardo - imnew59585

Shower farts still piss me off.

I think theyre pretty neat. When the water runs down your crack as you let one out... its like shitting in a crockpot.

Try to fix it. If iys screwed it won't hurt. Glue it up..if there's no rub then I would think you should be good

So if I can "fix it" and add a little bit of thermal glue, you think it would be fine, assuming it didn't rub or whatever?

I missed Alan.