Second Skin Audio

When calculating port volume and tuning...

BassinBob

To set up my question im going to use made up numbers for ease,

Say your sub displaces .1 cubic feet and wants 2 cubic feet of gross airspace, your port takes up .5 cubic feet including the thickness of the baffle. That leaves you with a box with requiring a net volume 2.6 cubic feet of airspace.

Do you tune a port to the net space or the gross space? (i hope i didnt mix those terms up)

If its tuned to the gross space how do you account for the area said port takes up?

I traded my zv3 18 for 3 ab xfl 12s, plan on using 2 of them in a sealed trunk with the subs firing forward into the cabin.

Thanks to everyone for the help you provide all of us here. It is appreciated.

I hope i made sense.

I am lacking in the computer department. I solely use a tablet and smartphone. Any help would be great.

If youd be willing to help my max overall height is 15in and width is 38 inch, depth is no matter. Looking for a good all around system for all kinds of music that can still get loud and on the lower side of things

Thank you

also a sub will never say it needs x gross volume as gross is before displacement and a sub needs a certain amount of volume (with in a certain range) in which is called net.

be careful when you say depth doesn't matter. im sure you don't want a 28" wide by 10" tall by 50"deep box or anything of the sort. should just measure you max depth and joe will want to know what car it is for to so that he can try and incorporate that into the design so that you can get it into the vehicle.

with what your saying im assuming you don't care about a meter and so you are looking for sq. for that you want a flat freq response and I suggest a tuning between 30-35hz. joe will get you a nice design made though.

people around here will get upset/irritated about the term trunk wall to by the way. its technically called a sealed of trunk with the subs firing forward.

t1500bdcp

2 t2d4 15"

1 t600.4

1 t400.2

1 set p1 tweets

singer alt, tons of wiring, smd vm-1, 80prs, back seat delete, still in the works, aiming for a 145-147 with the ability to play 25hz up to 50hz.

When i siad i hope i hadent mixed those up i ment my use of gross and net,so thanks for clarifying the terminology for me. And yes a sealed off trunk with the subs firing forward is what i would like to end up with. The reason i say the depth does not matter is because it can be as deep as it needs to be to be the proper volume. The vehicle is a 2012 chrysler 200.

Thank you very much Joe. Thats perfect. That is the amount of power i was planning on running also, how did you know. Lol

I just want to clarify on the cut sheet list:

For the fronts in and out is that to be halved for each side?

The sides are ment to be an inch different or typo?

And the port extension is the "L" part of the port?

How wide should the 45s be?

Thank you again for your time, i really want to do this right.

Thank you so much Joe, i hope you understand how appreciative i am for this. Ill remember to set my filter correctly. It will be a few weeks before i can build due to this frigid weather we are having this winter.

Archived