DC Sound Lab

Soldering new 8ga onto tinsel leads

I need some help from Rusty, or any of the sub builders out there. I have 2 xl 12's. They have direct soldered leads. Good. But the cable is too short to go where I need it to go. I don't want to splice it because I don't want the splice to show since there is plexi on the back of the enclosure, and everything will be visible.

My question is:

Is it as easy as heating up the current 8ga/tinsel connection to melt the existing solder, then removing the 8ga, and then soldering new 8ga on?

Will heat effect anything around the joint area?

Can someone please help me with this. I'm ready to get it done, but I don't want to just jump in without knowing what I'm facing. I've never dealt with anything like this before, and never reconed a sub, so thus my nervousness.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

I'll have to look when I get home. Work blocks YouTube. I mean really how do they expect us to get anything done if they block all our sites!! LOL

Can you describe what it is?

It's describing what you said you don't want to do,extending the leads.

Edited by kicker8940

That guy has a wierd shaped head. Lol jk

Id never use the yellow ones.. the copper idea seems decent tho.

Setup:

2010 Hyundai Elantra

Factory Unit via 4 chan NVX LOC

Excessive Amperage "H/O" Alt

Xs D3400/ Xs XP3000

Big 3. 2 Runs of +, 2 Runs of -

DD M3b and 2 12" AQ HDC4s

I'll have to look when I get home. Work blocks YouTube. I mean really how do they expect us to get anything done if they block all our sites!! LOL

Can you describe what it is?

It's a video of crimping the leads with like a copper sleeve then adding heat shrink. If you are worried about the looks of it, you can probably use red and black heat shrink or whatever color you are using for your speaker wire. Just an idea.

Edited by jarredondo1999

Thanks for the description.

I've actually been sitting here thinking about just using techflex and heat shrink. If I make the joint up close to the terminal platform, then it would have about 3 layers of shrink on it. Probably not visible. Then I don't even touch the tinsel lead. I guess that's probably the best way to go huh.

Thanks guys for your help.

Now I just need to find a crimp tool.