Second Skin Audio

I stumbled across the SSA Xcon series 12" subwoofers on youtube and they seem like great subs, but does anyone know how LOW they can hit? Or rather how loud they can play Lows (down to 23hz)? The Xcon 12 has an Fs of 32Hz, but the Zcon has an Fs of 37Hz, and judging from the videos of the Zcon's it seems like they have a stronger low-end response (even at a higher fs hz), just want to know what you guys think, thanks.

The Fs does have an impact on the low end response but mainly that parameter is based off of the free air resonant frequency of the sub without an enclosure.

The box specifications will have a much bigger impact on the frequency response of a sub.

To answer your question: yes that sub can get low in a proper enclosure but it can also NOT play low in a crappy or high tuned box.

Good luck!

2007 M/T Honda Civic Coupe EX

(4) Sundown Audio X-8's

(2) Ampere Audio 3800.1's

(3) Stinger SPV-44 Batteries

(1) Mechman 240

3:1 Ratio 4th order sealed from the trunk

TEAM NWSPL

Best termlab scores to date in Honda trunk:
151.7db legal (official) IASCA trunk 3 class

Best termlab scores to date in my walled Subie:
152.9db legal (unofficial) IASCA advanced 2 class
155db outlaw

The Fs does have an impact on the low end response but mainly that parameter is based off of the free air resonant frequency of the sub without an enclosure.

The box specifications will have a much bigger impact on the frequency response of a sub.

To answer your question: yes that sub can get low in a proper enclosure but it can also NOT play low in a crappy or high tuned box.

Good luck!

appreciate the response! I'm leaning toward tuning the box to 33Hz now, before I was thinking 30hz, but I was reading on the forums here that most people were saying its "pointless" to tune lower than 35hz...ive never heard of that

appreciate the response! I'm leaning toward tuning the box to 33Hz now, before I was thinking 30hz, but I was reading on the forums here that most people were saying its "pointless" to tune lower than 35hz...ive never heard of that

Disregard any comments you see around, if you have not played with box specs before make yourself an adjustable tuning box and find for yourself what is pointless.

The subs can get low, are recommended 27-34, like large boxes, to 2.75 net per sub. And keep in mind port area which is often an overlooked parameter that can ruin the performance of a design.

Disregard any comments you see around, if you have not played with box specs before make yourself an adjustable tuning box and find for yourself what is pointless.

The subs can get low, are recommended 27-34, like large boxes, to 2.75 net per sub. And keep in mind port area which is often an overlooked parameter that can ruin the performance of a design.

Thanks for the feedback man! Yea, I saw on the SSA site they recommend 26-33hz box tuning, but all ive heard people play on youtube is higher bass (do they not know what Decaf is?). Some of my favorite bass decaf songs peak pretty low (ex: August Alsina - Downtown is 36, 29, 27 Hz, others like I Cook being 27hz, some in 25hz range, etc). but i've never had a system that could play the mid+upper 30's clean and low (only 33hz down to low 20's) in a 30hz box.

If you have a box tuned as you say you should be hitting those mid to high 30 notes very well.

2004 Grand Prix GT

(2) 12" RE XXXs (04/05 XBL^2)

5 cu. ft tuned @ 35 Hz

MMATS HD4000.05

MMATS SQ4100

Infinity Kappa components

Juice Box black cherry

Duralast platinum group 34

1/0 KNU OFC, 2/0 welding

Singer 250A

Archived