It runs great now, before sometimes it would buffer in the middle of movies. Also keep in mind these are Core2 class xeons, so even a newer Atom CPU would be able to at least keep up, with a lot less juice.

Buffering at the beginning used to be about 45 seconds, now its about 8. I'm sure 6 times the L2 Cache helps a little too.

Those racks are wildly expensive on ebay. If I put that up, it would be in the 500+ $ range pretty quickly. Which to me is funny, because at work we throw out 44u racks all the time.

I want to get one of these little guys for it

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.XDell+MD1000&_nkw=Dell+MD1000&_sacat=0&_from=R40

Mine was nothing special by todays standards, it was years ago. Im not even sure if it was a power edge no more. lol

We use to have them colocated and attempted at hosting CounterStrike: Source servers but that never really took off after about a year or so, so than we just pulled the servers back out and started doing lans which where fun at first but the game was dying and at our last lan we decided it just wasnt worth it no more and we all got each of our servers back. At which point I mostly used mine for hosting ventrilo.

but damn was that server LOUD!!! one thing I dont miss. LOL

Archived